What did you do in the reloading room recently?

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
They good bullets? I'm going to be in the market for a .357 lever rifle sometime soon and I'm sourcing all my components to load up some .38spl and .357. Got the brass, some primers, and working on dies (and a press), but I still need to hunt down bullets and powder.

A 158 grain JSP screaming down range sounds like a real good deer and coyote load.
Are they good? Put it this way. I got 1.5-2" groups at 100 yards with my scoped DW revolver from a rest. Get yourself some of these bullets along with 2400 powder👌🏻

And as an added bonus they are THE cheapest jacketed 357 bullet you will find.

meh

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
They good bullets? I'm going to be in the market for a .357 lever rifle sometime soon and I'm sourcing all my components to load up some .38spl and .357. Got the brass, some primers, and working on dies (and a press), but I still need to hunt down bullets and powder.

A 158 grain JSP screaming down range sounds like a real good deer and coyote load.

IMHO, they are excellent for what they are, i.e. jacketed lead bullets that are not bonded or fancy. I convinced myself that I got slightly better groups out of the 158 grain JHPs than the 158 grain JSPs, so I standardized on the former, but I don't remember what guns I used to draw that conclusion, probably rifles. No idea what the terminal ballistics of the JHPs would be, though. I don't think I've ever seen anybody shoot them into ballistics gel at any speed.

Jbarila

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
i get bullet impact shift with just powder changes.
Although alox can be Smokey theres noth wrong with your loads.
How did they group, did you notice any gross deviation of bullet seating depth or anything else the lee press and your less experience might have shown from then to now?

i still love loading up cast 45s with deep lube grooves , pack those grooves with 2500 lube loadup with clays powder and see and smell all that smoke.
The grouping was tight just left. The old round crimp was too tight so i do not think the bullets were seating in the rifling properly? Probably causing the shift. Alox is great I like the smoke, pisses off the range neighbors.
The new rounds are crimped perfectly and consistently seated to the proper depth. Thats only from experience.

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
The grouping was tight just left. The old round crimp was too tight so i do not think the bullets were seating in the rifling properly? Probably causing the shift. Alox is great I like the smoke, pisses off the range neighbors.
The new rounds are crimped perfectly and consistently seated to the proper depth. Thats only from experience.
I came across a box of bulk 223 I loaded back in 2013, Im not sure what happened or how I did not notice but theres several crooked seated bulets.
i used them for some off hand practice and I shot my average.

jpm

Rating - 100%
84   0   0

Al's in Derry is right up the road from you. Check him for powder

pastera

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sweeeet. For 8 pound jugs?
For 1lb jugs - give me a day or two to model up one for 8lb jugs.
To be certain can you measure the outside diameter of your bottle mouth (cylindrical part not the threads)
I have a jug of CFE to test on but would like to know that your jug is the same.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Finished off this old can of Hercules 2400.
The bottom of the can had some corrosion and powder bonded to the metal. Bummer I won’t be able to use that powder. Probably enough for 1 or 2 rounds😂
View attachment 437642View attachment 437643

Just cracked open the last one pound container of 2400. Not looking forward to pouring powder from the 8# jug of 2400 I have 😂
Throw a match in there. Make a video.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
LOL after 60 + years of handling lead .22's and couple zillion copper coated lead, I wonder how much lead I have in my body. That might damn well explain why I can't seem to lose any weight.
Probably not much. Lead is not absorbed through skin. Unless you had an open cut, your licked your fingers after touching lead, you rubbed your eyes or you breath lead dust, you should be perfectly fine.

Sorry, I didn't mean to kill your excuse to not lose weight.

pastera

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
For 1lb jugs - give me a day or two to model up one for 8lb jugs.
To be certain can you measure the outside diameter of your bottle mouth (cylindrical part not the threads)
I have a jug of CFE to test on but would like to know that your jug is the same.
4 1lb pouring spouts done - the ABS is a pain to clean up the print but is more flexible than the PLA (so dropping it on the floor shouldn't destroy it)

8lb spout test #3 on the printer right now - Should have been done in two but I only oversized by 0.5mm when the first print didn't quite fit (ABS shrinks a lot and the powder jug isn't quite to spec). If this one is good, I'll print more tomorrow.

@andrew1220 gets a set - others will be up for grabs (those who have helped out newbies with supplies during the shortage get priority)

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Well not exactly the reloading room, but it is attached to it. I call it shop 1. Reloading room is shop 2. Anyway, i just finished up putting a DRO on my drill press. Now I dont have to pucker up when im drilling a barrel to pin a muzzle brake.

View attachment 438894View attachment 438895View attachment 438896View attachment 438897View attachment 438898View attachment 438899View attachment 438900
How is that Igaging stuff?
i see they run the coverage from cheap to expensive for some of their stuff.
Thats a cool add on , im guessing it zeros like any other digital measuring tool?
I have a old floor drill press Im trying to keep alive.
I need a new table rack which is getting to be a pain to find.

BTSDOG

NES Member
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
How is that Igaging stuff?
i see they run the coverage from cheap to expensive for some of their stuff.
Thats a cool add on , im guessing it zeros like any other digital measuring tool?
I have a old floor drill press Im trying to keep alive.
I need a new table rack which is getting to be a pain to find.
Cant really rate it yet. But for a little over 6o bucks, I figured id give it a shot. At least it adds a little more precision than the factory drill stop. By the way, i put it on a Harbor Freight, Central Machinery drill press. Im going to test it out on some aluminum stock first, then ive got a few muzzle brakes to do. Will report back with results......

wjsmall97

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll give him a call. Turns out he's four miles down the road from me. Didn't even know.
Al's is closed on Mon. and possibly Tues. Good stuff and has more than it looks like. There is a lot of stuff downstairs. He sold me my last 2 left handed rifles. There is also Shooters Outpost
off of exit 9n of rt 93, They had a decent amount of powder there ( I bought 2 lbs. of Reloader 7 over the last 4 days). loaded ammo was kinda slim, but he had .22s but you will PAY for those.

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Cant really rate it yet. But for a little over 6o bucks, I figured id give it a shot. At least it adds a little more precision than the factory drill stop. By the way, i put it on a Harbor Freight, Central Machinery drill press. Im going to test it out on some aluminum stock first, then ive got a few muzzle brakes to do. Will report back with results......
I would be curious to see how much vertical slop is in that arbor/quill - im not sure if thats the proper term.
I have a small cheap bench top that has a good 1/8” of slop when you contact the work.

xtry51

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
For those reloading bottleneck cartridges, how many of you anneal, how often, and HOW do you do it?

(.223, .308, 6.5C, & 6.5G for reference)

Never have. Seems like a big investment for little return. I have so much brass it would take me a decade of shooting tens of thousands of rounds per year to consume it all to failure.

jpm

Rating - 100%
84   0   0
4 1lb pouring spouts done - the ABS is a pain to clean up the print but is more flexible than the PLA (so dropping it on the floor shouldn't destroy it)

8lb spout test #3 on the printer right now - Should have been done in two but I only oversized by 0.5mm when the first print didn't quite fit (ABS shrinks a lot and the powder jug isn't quite to spec). If this one is good, I'll print more tomorrow.

@andrew1220 gets a set - others will be up for grabs (those who have helped out newbies with supplies during the shortage get priority)

I'd love to get one of each please!

Top Bottom