What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Been a 357 afternoon.

100 rounds of 158 grain jsp with 7.9 unique

Then......for a test batch made up 50 rounds with 14 grains imr4227 using the 158 grain jsp. Lyman 50 says imr4227 with that bullet is 12.2 to 16.1 so I went for the middle of that range. If imr4227 works well I'll bump up the charge and I'll be excited because 4227 meters like a dream. For the test batch I weighed every charge and 49 throws were 14 on the nose and one was 13.9. If I decide to make a bunch of these it'll be quick work.
20210807_173742.jpg

Been a 357 afternoon.

100 rounds of 158 grain jsp with 7.9 unique

Then......for a test batch made up 50 rounds with 14 grains imr4227 using the 158 grain jsp. Lyman 50 says imr4227 with that bullet is 12.2 to 16.1 so I went for the middle of that range. If imr4227 works well I'll bump up the charge and I'll be excited because 4227 meters like a dream. For the test batch I weighed every charge and 49 throws were 14 on the nose and one was 13.9. If I decide to make a bunch of these it'll be quick work.
View attachment 510508
Sounds like an awesome day!
Keep an eye on that 4227. I believe it spikes in high temp.

Sounds like an awesome day!
Keep an eye on that 4227. I believe it spikes in high temp.
Ok thanks. I'll bump my charges up in smaller incriminate than usual.

I've made quite a bit of 44 mag with that powder for an old ruger 44 carbine and it's been a great load. But I did stop bumping up charges at about mid range because I was getting very good groupings.

Fwiw Lyman 50 lists 4227 as potentially most accurate for 125 grain projos for rifle use in 357 mag as well as must accurate for 44 mag rifle use woth 240 grain projos.

Heading to the club to test in the blackhawk and the Henry carbine Sunday morning.

Last edited:
4227 has a fantastic burn rate for longer barrels. Had really good luck with it in rifle.
Made some 180's with it a while back for the 627. Nice and stout.
I have high hopes for it in the carbine Henry. Had excellent results in 44 mag in a ruger carbine. Will be interesting to see how they do in my blackhawk revolver. I'm expecting some flash lol

After all the bulk loading I've done in the last year and a half, I'm trying to reduce my inventory of assembled ammo. Lately I've been pairing bullets with primed and flared cases to make loading very quick when I do get around to it. Over the last week I've created loading packs with bullets and primed, flared cases:

500x 9mm brass with 125 grain JHPC bullets.
500x .38 special brass with 125 grain TCFP bullets.
400x .44 magnum brass with 200 grain RNFP bullets.
100x .45ACP brass with 200 grain RNFP bullets.

I would like to have done 200x more in the .45 ACP, but I'll need to clean some brass first.

A couple of the PPU .44M cases I flared had a neck split. This is not terribly surprising since these cases are longer than average, and I've never bothered to trim them, so with the dies set up for other cases they get flared and crimped more than the other cases. I've also probably reloaded some of these cases several times. Still have plenty of unloaded cases that haven't seen as much use, but it reminded me that I have the 1K pieces of virgin Starline .44 magnum I got last winter. Maybe I should deburr the flash holes, check the lengths and trim long ones (if any). That's such a chore, though, and I'm not sure if deburring the flash holes has a measurable effect on consistency in .44 magnum cartridges.

My guess is that it’s expired. Theirs has been around a long time and even if not expired I’m sure they made some changes to file an improvement patent.

Seems like a good $150 investment. I’m going to keep an eye on it.

Same here...but looks like a $170 investment as demonstrated. I would only be using it for .223/.300BO though because I do all my pistol on a SDB currently.

If they make a case feeder for the SDB eventually, I’ll just click add to cart and I’ll be off to the races! I wonder how fast a SDB with a case feeder would be in comparison to a 650/750? I’ve never even seen either in action, so that’s an actual question...anyone have experience w/both machines?

Same here...but looks like a $170 investment as demonstrated. I would only be using it for .223/.300BO though because I do all my pistol on a SDB currently.

If they make a case feeder for the SDB eventually, I’ll just click add to cart and I’ll be off to the races! I wonder how fast a SDB with a case feeder would be in comparison to a 650/750? I’ve never even seen either in action, so that’s an actual question...anyone have experience w/both machines?
My guess is basically the same. One cartridge for every pull of the handle right?
SDBs are fast for sure. They are just the worst Dillon.

Kind of like the ginger kid from the Waltons. Nobody likes gingers.

My guess is basically the same. One cartridge for every pull of the handle right?
SDBs are fast for sure. They are just the worst Dillon.

Kind of like the ginger kid from the Waltons. Nobody likes gingers.
The proprietary dies and restriction to straight wall case calibers turns a lot of people off (including myself for years).

I got lucky (again) and found one with all the caliber conversions/dies I needed for my pistol calibers. Bought it dirt cheap (I think like $250) from a guy that just bought a 650 and it came with a 5 gallon bucket of 9mm cases 😂

I ended up buying a brand new one still in the box from a guy that won it, and sold my ‘well used’ one with the extra 9mm caliber conversion/set of dies for what I bought the new one for during COVID. I was going to keep two SDB’s set up, but decided the bench space was a better trade off.

the only thing that makes me nervous about the DAA case feeder is that sometimes when loading 223, if the case isn’t seated all the way into the shell plate perfectly, it will hit the bottom of my resizing die and jam up the press until I realign. I haven’t reloaded .300BO on it yet, so not sure if it happens w/that caliber too...but it does happen w/30-06 and .308 sometimes as well.

The proprietary dies and restriction to straight wall case calibers turns a lot of people off (including myself for years).

I got lucky (again) and found one with all the caliber conversions/dies I needed for my pistol calibers. Bought it dirt cheap (I think like $250) from a guy that just bought a 650 and it came with a 5 gallon bucket of 9mm cases 😂

I ended up buying a brand new one still in the box from a guy that won it, and sold my ‘well used’ one with the extra 9mm caliber conversion/set of dies for what I bought the new one for during COVID. I was going to keep two SDB’s set up, but decided the bench space was a better trade off.

the only thing that makes me nervous about the DAA case feeder is that sometimes when loading 223, if the case isn’t seated all the way into the shell plate perfectly, it will hit the bottom of my resizing die and jam up the press until I realign. I haven’t reloaded .300BO on it yet, so not sure if it happens w/that caliber too...but it does happen w/30-06 and .308 sometimes as well.

They really are great presses for a set cartridge. It just sucks to have to swap them over.

Good point on the cases lining up right. I bet there’s an adjustment in there somewhere.

Wife said we could use a new car, so we compromised!
Just picked up half my stuff from the last auction, turned her sewing room into my reloading room! Half of the stuff here was in the box, never opened. I have 45 ACP, 9mm, .223, and .40 S&W full setups!
I also scored more than 25K primers, 5K 9mm bullets (just the tip, lol), 8 lbs pistol powder, 3 lbs IMR 4756 powder, and a bunch of misc tools.
All under $5k. At gunbroaker prices the primers are worth twice that, lol.
Wife says "this is much better than a car!" I love that woman!
20210810_122242.jpg 20210810_122254.jpg

Just picked up half my stuff from the last auction, turned her sewing room into my reloading room! Half of the stuff here was in the box, never opened. I have 45 ACP, 9mm, .223, and .40 S&W full setups!
I also scored more than 25K primers, 5K 9mm bullets (just the tip, lol), 8 lbs pistol powder, 3 lbs IMR 4756 powder, and a bunch of misc tools.
View attachment 511364View attachment 511365
Damn. Don't lose that woman! [laugh]
My wife is a gun girl too but if it came down to a car or reloading stuff, it would be a car all day in her mind lol

Wow - very nice ! :D

View attachment 511364View attachment 511365

You are a lucky man..... 😍

Pretty sure my wife would pick the car, but maybe I should test that 🤔.

My guess is that it’s expired. Theirs has been around a long time and even if not expired I’m sure they made some changes to file an improvement patent.

Seems like a good $150 investment. I’m going to keep an eye on it.
Hmmm....interesting....but not sure. Do the tubes hold 100 pistol cases (matching the number of primers) ? Keeping an eye on the tubes and needing the rotate seems like it could be pain in the ass.

Hmmm....interesting....but not sure. Do the tubes hold 100 pistol cases (matching the number of primers) ? Keeping an eye on the tubes and needing the rotate seems like it could be pain in the ass.
I’m sure it all depends on the cartridge.
I don’t think so really. I would think you would notice if a case didn’t feed.

We watch to make sure powder charges are dropping and primers are feeding it wouldn’t be much different than making sure you keep feeding cases into the press by hand anyway.

I think there was a spec sheet on DAA’s website that listed 150 9mm cases, but didn’t list 300BO or .223 (of course, that’s all I was looking for).

Shouldn’t be too hard to keep an eye on it with it being right in front of your face though, no?

More .44 mag last night ! :D Made up 100 with 240gn LSWC and 100 with FMJ (all with Sport Pistol) in anticipation of stopping by the range on my way into work.

I continue to be amazed by the reduction in velocity between the jacketed and non-jacketed bullets with the same charge. Easily -150 to 200 fps for the FMJ. I assume it's the crimp integrity.

The good part - I think I've tailored a load for the 329PD (30-50') which appears to be accurate, consistent, and is not a wrist breaker (~900 fps w/240 gn).

First 6 shots @ 30' - great way to start the morning. I think I was staring up at the space station on that 6th shot........ (for reference the 12" gong is 25 yds back)

Bingo_11Aug2021.jpg

More .44 mag last night ! :D Made up 100 with 240gn LSWC and 100 with FMJ (all with Sport Pistol) in anticipation of stopping by the range on my way into work.

I continue to be amazed by the reduction in velocity between the jacketed and non-jacketed bullets with the same charge. Easily -150 to 200 fps for the FMJ. I assume it's the crimp integrity.

The good part - I think I've tailored a load for the 329PD (30-50') which appears to be accurate, consistent, and is not a wrist breaker (~900 fps w/240 gn).

First 6 shots @ 30' - great way to start the morning. I think I was staring up at the space station on that 6th shot........ (for reference the 12" gong is 25 yds back)

View attachment 511578
Could be the crimp but I think the biggest factor is the resistance from the copper jacket compared to bare lead or a Hi-Tek coating on the bullet.

View attachment 511578
Been thinking about getting into a 329pd for bear country hiking this coming season. Thanks for the info as a starting point!

Are you able to use your prochrono without diffuser rods?

Been thinking about getting into a 329pd for bear country hiking this coming season. Thanks for the info as a starting point!

Are you able to use your prochrono without diffuser rods?
Yes - but you need a cloudy "diffused light" day, or set up in the shade. I had no drop outs at all this morning in the shade. In direct sun - it will loose maybe 25-50% of the shots (without the diffusers). No false data - just missing shots. I have it linked to my cell phone so it calls the velocities as I go so I can hear them.

I can't say enough about the 329 - surprising really. Slightly more recoil energy, but you can load that down. (7.1gns of Sport Pistol with just about any type of 240gn projectile works for me). Like I posted earlier - above 1100fps you may get bullet jump with 240s. But with this load there is no jump at all - not bad for PF=216 out of a 25 oz. handgun. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom