What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Been reloading for a year maybe a little longer. The only calibers I have done to this point are 9mm and .38spl , I've done thousands of each , and have no issues until recently. Last shipment I got 125gr plated hollow points for .38spl from Extreme(figured I'd try something other than wadcutters and SWC. I made a test batch with 4.4gr of w231 and got a squib. After that I made another cylinders worth and went to 4.6 , shot 5 and number 6 ended up getting stuck in the barrel again. Shooting a six inch Dan Wesson model 15-2. Are these just too weak , or should I be using a different powder? My data book shows me a max of 4.8gr , and that's going by the data for using a 125gr lead projectile

Been reloading for a year maybe a little longer. The only calibers I have done to this point are 9mm and .38spl , I've done thousands of each , and have no issues until recently. Last shipment I got 125gr plated hollow points for .38spl from Extreme(figured I'd try something other than wadcutters and SWC. I made a test batch with 4.4gr of w231 and got a squib. After that I made another cylinders worth and went to 4.6 , shot 5 and number 6 ended up getting stuck in the barrel again. Shooting a six inch Dan Wesson model 15-2. Are these just too weak , or should I be using a different powder? My data book shows me a max of 4.8gr , and that's going by the data for using a 125gr lead projectile
Okay now I’m convinced there’s something off with xtreme bullets? The 2 or 3 squibs I’ve had were with Xtreme 158 gr RN bullets over 4.2ish? gr of bullseye if I remember correctly. In a 357 mag case. Also in a DW revolver.
I posted about it here before and I think EddieCoyle/Jim wondered if the bullets are oversized?
Or maybe their plating is really thick thus causing more resistance? Like a jacketed bullet

Last edited:
Okay now I’m convinced there’s something off with xtreme bullets. The 2 or 3 squibs I’ve had were with Xtreme 158 gr RN bullets over 4.2ish? gr of bullseye if I remember correctly. In a 357 mag case. Also in a DW revolver.
I posted about it here before and I think EddieCoyle/Jim wondered if the bullets are oversized?
Or maybe their plating is really thick thus causing more resistance? Like a jacketed bullet
I've made a ton of .38s using only Extreme bullets , and this is this first time I've had a problem with them. I also forgot to mention that when I removed the projectile from the barrel , there was plenty of unburnt powder caked up in it. That's why I asked if maybe I should be using a different powder, maybe something that burns slower?

I've made a ton of .38s using only Extreme bullets , and this is this first time I've had a problem with them. I also forgot to mention that when I removed the projectile from the barrel , there was plenty of unburnt powder caked up in it. That's why I asked if maybe I should be using a different powder, maybe something that burns slower?
I had this issue with a batch of 2400 powder in 357 magnum. Caked unburned powder behind a stuck projo. I checked every damn part of the process I could....crimp.....primers......everything. it determined it to be a bad batch of powder. Tossed that can and no problems since. Are you using new can of powder,
?

My guess is "crimp jump". Plated bullets are very slippery, so a given amount of neck tension leads to less friction. Each time you fire one, the remaining ones might inch forward. This is one reason why I stopped loading plated bullets in revolver calibers. You need to crimp them pretty good to prevent them from walking out under recoil, but you don't want to crimp them so much that you deform the bullet and damage the plating. Finding balance in there, since they came with such shallow cannelures to begin with, just wasn't a challenge I was interested in.

In 9mm, with taper crimps, they're just fine. Could be bad powder, though.

Edit: Have you checked the bullet diameters?

Had the same issue with extreme and W231 in my SW 19-3
If you have a micrometer check the bullets - you might find them running about 5 tenths under sized.
Depending on your brass it can leave you with too little neck tension for 231 to light off properly especially when firing in a 357 chamber.
Load up the exact same load in 357 brass and everything is good to go

I had this issue with a batch of 2400 powder in 357 magnum. Caked unburned powder behind a stuck projo. I checked every damn part of the process I could....crimp.....primers......everything. it determined it to be a bad batch of powder. Tossed that can and no problems since. Are you using new can of powder,
?
My powder isn't old at all , I had bought all of my powder when I started reloading about a year ago. Stored in a cool , dry area as well. Even when I increased my powder , loads still felt weak.

My powder isn't old at all , I had bought all of my powder when I started reloading about a year ago. Stored in a cool , dry area as well. Even when I increased my powder , loads still felt weak.
Check your bullet size and crimp. My friend went through same thing only to find many of his bullets where .355”
Squib was just poking out of barrel
I dont recall what bullets he had but they quickly sent him replacements.

After almost a year of not reloading for BPCR, I sat down today and used half a bottle of GOEX.
I almost forgot how big the BP grains are compared to smokeless.

Anyway ... as of today, I have used the Lee Perfect Powder Measure with:

IMR 4198
IMR 4227
GOEX FF (for BP I used the one that is all metal, the "Deluxe").

The powder drop works great, and it is very cheap.

I noticed the first 8 drops of 4227 are a little off (less than half a grain), but after that they are all spot on. This did not happen with 4198 or 5744. I weight every 10th drop.

I decided to buy one several months back when I kept reading good reviews in different forums. They are so cheap, I buy one for each powder.

Last edited:
After almost a year of not reloading for BPCR, I sat down today and used half a bottle of GOEX.
I almost forgot how big the BP grains are compared to smokeless.

Anyway ... as of today, I have used the Lee Perfect Powder Measure with:

IMR 4198
IMR 4227
GOEX FF (for BP I used the one that is all metal, the "Deluxe").

The powder drop works great, and it is very cheap.

I noticed the first 8 drops of 4227 are a little off (less than half a grain), but after that they are all spot on. This did not happen with 4198 or 5644. I weight every 10th drop.

I decided to buy one several months back when I kept reading good reviews in different forums. They are so cheap, I buy one for each powder.
Did you end up going to Glenn’s for the 4227? I saw he had some when I was there on Thursday.

Probably not a bad idea. I bought one and used it with N105 or N110, and I had to break it down to get all the powder out of it.
Interesting, I found them so simple, I didn't see any powder leftover in mine. I also didn't look very hard. Maybe that is why the first few drops are off. I will have to take a look.

I need to buy some N110, did it work well with the 110?

I need to buy some N110, did it work well with the 110?
Not especially. I'm guessing if I'm not cutting sticks in the Hornady drop, I'm forcing them into places inside the Lee drop. But I might be expecting too much. When I'm hand trickling N100, seems like 0.1 grain is barely possible to control, like 2 or 3 sticks or something. It ain't much.

Made it downstairs today to work on a new load.. Actually it’s a familiar load that I have used quite a bit in the past, just with a different brand of projectiles. Going to test them in the morning.

Attachments

• 185D428A-6C0B-4E54-A9A6-DD34D1F856B8.jpeg
    185D428A-6C0B-4E54-A9A6-DD34D1F856B8.jpeg
    374.1 KB · Views: 7
  • D28321F2-1267-4F58-934D-DB99A0C75289.jpeg
    D28321F2-1267-4F58-934D-DB99A0C75289.jpeg
    593.5 KB · Views: 8
Found the .308 trim die I replaced with another new one :rolleyes: and now have two:(
I found a box of 110 grain for the 30 carbine. Seriously lost forever so I thought.
I blamed my wife years ago , and yup it was her who stuffed them away in a odd spot. Been doing some purging and found a few things
Done it with tools also.

Has anyone used Ramshot Tac for 308 168grn? Thoughts results etc?
Yes. Was able to get decent velocities out of an RPR, but could never get the ES below 110fps. That said, I didn't note any significant decrease in on-target precision even with the wide ES. Much better results with Varget, BL-C(2), VVN150...

If it's relevant, all SMK and once-fired Federal GM brass with .002" neck tension. Used Fed 210, 210m, CCI 200s in three separate attempts with no real difference in velocity, ES, or SD with the different primers.

Last edited:
Yes. Was able to get decent velocities out of an RPR, but could never get the ES below 110fps. That said, I didn't note any significant decrease in on-target precision even with the wide ES. Much better results with Varget, BL-C(2), VVN150...

If it's relevant, all SMK and once-fired Federal GM brass with .002" neck tension. Used Fed 210, 210m, CCI 200s in three separate attempts with no real difference in velocity, ES, or SD with the different primers.
In my very limited experiments I also noted TAC to produce really high ES. I saw some ok groups with it but most were not great. I regret buying it.
Cfe223 was grouping better

In my very limited experiments I also noted TAC to produce really high ES. I saw some ok groups with it but most were not great. I regret buying it.
Cfe223 was grouping better

Thanks for the info. I was looking at picking some up as it is actually available. I will hold out for something else. I need to find some unicorn droppings (large rifle primers) anyway.

Back
Top Bottom