What did you do in the reloading room recently?

My super 1050 set up with Mr Bullet Feeder, Redding micrometer seating die,low powder and low primer alerts! All I can say is wow! Hands free, accurate, and fast! See the USPSA sticker? Friend helped me by setting up a very sturdy bench and he put this sticker on for fun!

image.jpg

My super 1050 set up with Mr Bullet Feeder, Redding micrometer seating die,low powder and low primer alerts! All I can say is wow! Hands free, accurate, and fast! See the USPSA sticker? Friend helped me by setting up a very sturdy bench and he put this sticker on for fun!

View attachment 139133

Now you just need a foot pedal hooked to a motor and it's truly hands free.

nothing as exotic as setting up new stuff but i did put an air conditioner in the window i got from a member here in my reloading room. christ, you can hang beef in that room now. i am very happy. [grin]

Yeah, my reloading set up is in my folks basement, and it's nice down there in the summer. If I had room at my place. I could see loading well into those hot humid nights because it's so nice.

I do most of my loading in the summer. Comfortable down there in the summer and chilly enough in the winter that I dont spend much time there.

In the last week or so I've trimmed some 30 carbine brass, loaded some 30 carbine using plated 110 gr Berrys bullets - wanted to see how they compare to the Hornady FMJs. I chronoed both and the Berrys were running slower than the FMJs and a little inconsistent with the velocities. My 110 gr FMJs had a SD of 7. Very pleased with that. Used 14.5 gr of H110.

Also loaded some Zero 125 gr JHP 9mm using 4 gr of TG. I had to shorten the COL to 1.10" as anything much longer jammed up my CZ75b.

I just added a bullet feeder on to my LNL. Home built using hornady bullet feeder die and 7/16 od tube works awesome.
imagejpeg

Last edited:
I just loaded some test rounds of 9mm: 124gr xtreme copper plated RN over 5.7 gr of BE-86. First time with this powder, and as far as loading, I love it. Meters awesome. Gonna try to get to the range early in the am to see how they work.

Loaded up some Nornady 55g FMJ and some W844 for testing along with some others for accuracy comparison test. Plus a few cast loads for the the 1903a3 and a test run of FMJ in the M44 with N150 powder.....more so to use up the powder.

Finally got an opportunity to shoot some 200 gr JSWC and free up some brass to also try the "X-Treme" 150 gr. PFN.
Very nice, if I do say so myself....

7.62x54R

Pretty slick. My 54r loads where not so great from the carbine. 5MOA at best. The cast loads where a failure in the 54r also. Many keyholed.

The a3 loads.....finally some decent groups with cast.
I shot 5 sub 2.5 moa groups back to back with one load. 2nd load I shot a 2.75" and sub 2" 5 shot groups. Fun day at the range.
It was interesting to see a few guys at the range say WTF was that when the 200 grain slug went sideways through the paper Sssmmmacckkk .

Like to see your results navelofficer with those plated FN.

Last edited:
I've considered loading for x54r but I doubt my mosins would benefit a whole lot from reloads vs surplus ammo. Maybe if I had a SVT40 or PSL it might be worthwhile?

Pretty slick. My 54r loads where not so great from the carbine. 5MOA at best. The cast loads where a failure in the 54r also. Many keyholed.

The a3 loads.....finally some decent groups with cast.
I shot 5 sub 2.5 moa groups back to back with one load. 2nd load I shot a 2.75" and sub 2" 5 shot groups. Fun day at the range.
It was interesting to see a few guys at the range say WTF was that when the 200 grain slug went sideways through the paper Sssmmmacckkk .

Like to see your results navelofficer with those plated FN.

Well, I only had a dozen rounds and my friend was shooting them from a 91/30 that he recently acquired for $75 or so. Off a sandbag he was able to get about 4" groups at 55 meters. I don't recall if he shot any at 100 meters. It's his first rifle ever and it's hardly pristine, but it took everything we fed it: cast, frangibles and jacketed.
I'm not a MN guy, so I don't know if the twist rate is adequate for stabilizing long bullets or not. The few JSWC (about 200 grains..a 5.7x28 case) flew straight and made clean holes on light cardboard at 50 feet; I just didn't have enough to spend any trigger time at 100 meters.
I believe I loaded some with shot as well as molten lead cores.

Once surplus ammo runs dry/scarce, it probably isn't a cost-saver to reload the 54R, but I sure like having a choice over generic corrosively-primed surplus. Light cast or plated loads are a hoot and you can shoot all day long.

BTW, the PFNs were .309", although X-Treme does offer the same bullet in .312". The one PFN recovered from a tree stump had plenty of rifling engraved on the bullet.

I've considered loading for x54r but I doubt my mosins would benefit a whole lot from reloads vs surplus ammo. Maybe if I had a SVT40 or PSL it might be worthwhile?

Not always the case.... My mosin 91/30 went from suck to fun cmp vintage match rifle. The problem being the cost of the .312" bullets vs the cost of surplus.

As NavalOfficer notes its fun to shoot reloads which you can taylor for your needs and no corrosive worries. I have a 200 grain cast bullet 314299 lyman I load for my mosin with trailboss powder. great fun 50 yard plinker and its more accurate than the surplus stuff. plus its a cream puff round. a
Additionally its about 11 cents to load.
Also with reloading you can find very accurate loads with out the "full power" of some factory ammo.
There is a distinct difference in recoil in my 1903a3 between HXP and my reloads.

I cast a few hundred lee 44 cal 310 grain bullets today.
Man does that 6 cavity eat up some lead. I wish lee made a 6 cavity 180 grain 358.

I also loaded some carpenter bee loads.
357 brass
2.1 grains of clays.
Cardboard wad on top of the powder
Fill with shot of choice (quinoa, coarse tumbling media, couscous etc)
Top with a 35 cal gas check.
Crimp in place.
Works well for carpenter bees and and the likes within about 10 or 15 feet.
Blasted one of those huge white and black hornets that looks like a yellow jacket. Good times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man does that 6 cavity eat up some lead. I wish lee made a 6 cavity 180 grain 358.

357 brass
2.1 grains of clays.
Crimp in place.
Blasted one of those huge white and black hornets that looks like a yellow jacket. Good times.

I watched Mike cast, re-handled a sledge, maul, hatchet, and drank beer while watching him cast.

357 brass
2.1 grains of clays.
Crimp in place.

Theres a few custom mold makers on castboolits that could hlp you out or Direct from Lee custom although you need 30 minimum units to wave set up fee ? group buy?

I watched Mike cast, re-handled a sledge, maul, hatchet, and drank beer while watching him cast.
That counts. You did handle some brass too.

Theres a few custom mold makers on castboolits that could hlp you out or Direct from Lee custom although you need 30 minimum units to wave set up fee ? group buy?
That would be awesome. I think I might just go for one from NOE. I guess it really depends on how well my firearms shoot the 358156 at full bore loads.
The 180 just looks so nice.
I guess if I can pitch the the 358156 at a nice speed a could just as easily use the lee 158 RNFP as my do all bullet.
I prefer to use one bullet for everything if I can.

That would be awesome. I think I might just go for one from NOE. I guess it really depends on how well my firearms shoot the 358156 at full bore loads.
I guess if I can pitch the the 358156 at a nice speed a could just as easily use the lee 158 RNFP as my do all bullet.

Yes that is always helpful. I have the Lyman 314299 which I use as cast for my Morin then size it down for 303, and 30-06. Although the lee flat nose bullet is out performing that at the moment in the 30-06. I have another mold like the 314299 with no marks. It cast a 180gn bullet.

I casted up 12lbs of the the lee flat nose last night. Goes real fast with the 6 cavity.
Along with some 8mm. I hope my sizing die comes in by the weekend so i can test the 8mm out.

8mm bullet sizing die came today. Sized and gas checked some 8mm. Loaded up 5 rounds of the 20 or so I plan,on testing Sunday.
Load one is with 35 grains H4895.

Can't wait to see the results.
What was the lube you're using?

I just got in some hi-tek red copper coating. I can't wait to try some out this weekend.
I think I'm going to coat the lee 310 grain 44s with it and see how it does.

Can't wait to see the results.
What was the lube you're using?

I just got in some hi-tek red copper coating. I can't wait to try some out this weekend.
I think I'm going to coat the lee 310 grain 44s with it and see how it does.

Been using whites 2500+ it can be applied by hand , pan lubed or with a lubrasizer.
I just hand lube small batches until im ready to do a big run on casting and lubing.

I use Lee liquid Alox on the tumble lube design bullets and also works with traditional lube grooved bullets for me so far. Im not pushing my loads to fast. I think the fastest load I would even consider is 2000fps. My casting goal is more for fun range plinking inside 200 yards. So the less powder I can use and still have fun accuracy <5MOA. Its nice to shoot the 1903s or any of the larger Cal surplus rifle for 20 cents or less per round.

I haven't used 2500 but I have used some of the BAC lube and really liked that. It was a little soft for the summer time lubing though. I liked using carnauba red. Javalena was a good lube but very soft. I think it was similar to 2500.

I'm right with you on loading. Inexpensive and fun. That's why I don't shoot much rifle. I would rather shoot my 1894 in 357 for 4.5 cents a shot than mess with jacketed in a rifle.
Though a 45-70 and a 405 grain with 12 grains of unique doesn't cost much more than the 38 plinking loads.

I haven't used 2500 but I have used some of the BAC lube and really liked that. It was a little soft for the summer time lubing though. I liked using carnauba red. Javalena was a good lube but very soft. I think it was similar to 2500.

I'm right with you on loading. Inexpensive and fun. That's why I don't shoot much rifle. I would rather shoot my 1894 in 357 for 4.5 cents a shot than mess with jacketed in a rifle.
Though a 45-70 and a 405 grain with 12 grains of unique doesn't cost much more than the 38 plinking loads.

I sold off all my zinc and steel wheel weights recently which more or less paid for all my casting equipment and then some. So at this point my cast bullets are free. I have maybe 800lbs of ignots to go through before I need to smelt more wheel weights down. I can smelt approx 500+ lbs with one 20# tank.
As time goes on I will work up a plain base load for my rifles. Right now I want at least 200 yard accuracy ( my accuracy standard is me and rifle keeping them inside the 13" bull of a SR target @ 200 yards) Plain base will save me a few cents per round. I may have to invest in a gas check maker ?
By today's cost of supplies I gave a 20 cent per round price.
I'm sitting on primers I paid 15$/1000 H4895 18$/lb and gas checks well they are pricey....18$/1000
Most recently I paid 26$/1000 for 8mm
It's fun and the powder puff loads are a hoot. Trailboss with a 200 grain slug makes a good milk jug explorer plus the younger shooters can shoot the big guns with out worries.

Mihec makes incredible products. I have a hollow point mold for 45/70 cast and they are top of the line.

Back
Top Bottom