What did you do in the reloading room recently?

What are you using for powder with the 255 grain?
Are you using a heavier recoil spring?
They look mean!

I loaded these with 5.9g Longshot at 1.160". No modifications to my Ruger.
The gunky lube may need to be cleared away after seating the bullet to get a good drop in on your plunk test.
If you don't want to interpolate load data, see the Accurate Powder load data for 250g bullets in .45 ACP...

http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/WesternLoadGuide1-2016_Web-1.pdf

I hit the range late this afternoon to chrono/test some 9mm rounds. 3 gr, and 2.8 gr of N320 under a 150 gr blue bullet. The 3 gr loads were making ~127 PF, while the 2.8 were about 124 PF. All cycled fine with the 10# spring in my DW PM9. Thigh the 2.8 gr loads were fairly dirty since these are pretty light loads. Fine for steel plate matches though.

Then I wanted to make loads that meet 125 PF for IDPA/USPSA. My previous loads that I had been using were with 3.3 gr but those were getting me 135 PF when I chronoed those a couple weeks ago (40 degree weather) which is more than what I need. Looks like 3 gr will do just fine.

One of the guys I shoot steel plate matches with on Wednesday nights, uses 2.4 gr of AutoComp under a 150 gr blue bullet. I think he said it's like 115 PF but cycles his Glock with a lighter spring. He's blazing fast with steel. He just made Master class in USPSA recently.

Last edited:
Finally put the crimp on some 45-70 rounds I loaded 2 weeks ago.
thinking of loading some 38 wadcutters tomorrow to pass the time in the snow.

Finished making some light 9mm loads for Wednesday's steel plate match. Just about finished my 4lb jug of N320 powder. I consolidated the remaining ~1/5 pound into a new 4lb jug. 4 pounds is good for about 8,000+ rounds.

I hit the range late this afternoon to chrono/test some 9mm rounds. 3 gr, and 2.8 gr of N320 under a 150 gr blue bullet. The 3 gr loads were making ~127 PF, while the 2.8 were about 124 PF. All cycled fine with the 10# spring in my DW PM9. Thigh the 2.8 gr loads were fairly dirty since these are pretty light loads. Fine for steel plate matches though.

Then I wanted to make loads that meet 125 PF for IDPA/USPSA. My previous loads that I had been using were with 3.3 gr but those were getting me 135 PF when I chronoed those a couple weeks ago (40 degree weather) which is more than what I need. Looks like 3 gr will do just fine.

One of the guys I shoot steel plate matches with on Wednesday nights, uses 2.4 gr of AutoComp under a 150 gr blue bullet. I think he said it's like 115 PF but cycles his Glock with a lighter spring. He's blazing fast with steel. He just made Master class in USPSA recently.

I know I've mentioned this, but I just ordered a case of Blue 147's to use with N320. You're saving me time with these posts, thanks!

Got everything I need to begin reloading .50AE. Also built a platform on my work bench that allows me to quickly switch between my two Dillon 550B presses. Generally I have one setup for pistol, typically 9mm, and one setup for rifle, mostly .223.

Used some T-Track and T-Slot bolts secured by hand tightened wing nuts. Works like a champ. Saves space by only having one device secured to the bench at a time.

Last edited:
Got everything I need to begin reloading .50AE. Also built a platform on my work bench that allows me to quickly switch between my two Dillon 550B presses. Generally I have one setup for pistol, typically 9mm, and one setup for rifle, mostly .223.

Used some T-Track and T-Slot bolts secured by hand tightened wing nuts. Works like a champ. Saves space by only having one device secured to the bench at a time.

Nice, pics?

Just got some Acme 124g coated bullets. Load em up with Titegroup and or BE86 soon hopefully. And my new kinetic puller came in and I pulled a few 180g Blue Bullets to confirm I wasn't shaving the coating off.

Nice, pics?

"I built a platform on my work bench that allows me to quickly switch between my two Dillon 550B presses. Generally I have one setup for pistol, typically 9mm, and one setup for rifle, mostly .223.

Used some T-Track and T-Slot bolts secured by hand tightened wing nuts. Works like a champ. Saves space by only having one device secured to the bench at a time."

IMG_20170110_191049_zps9ypscgpl.png

I like it. I keep mine on a double (glued & screwed) chunk of 3/4" plywood that gets bolted to my bench. The plan is to add a second machine rather than screw around with swapping primer assemblies for 6.5 Creedmoore.

Yeah, I have a second machine and this makes it easy to swap. And I have a tool head for each reloading caliber.

Generally I'm reloading 9mm and .223 and just swap machines rather than calibers. But as you can see I have .357 mag on there now. At the moment I reload .380, 9mm, .38, .357 mag, .44 mag, .45, .223 and .308. Adding .50AE soon as I just got the dies. Any other caliber I use I buy.

I like it. I keep mine on a double (glued & screwed) chunk of 3/4" plywood that gets bolted to my bench. The plan is to add a second machine rather than screw around with swapping primer assemblies for 6.5 Creedmoore.

I've been thinking of adding a second press, currently reloading .38, .357, 9mm and 45. My thought was one setup for small and one setup for large primers. I haven't started reloading rifle calibers though isn't a small rifle primer the same size as a small pistol?

Yeah, I have a second machine and this makes it easy to swap. And I have a tool head for each reloading caliber.

Generally I'm reloading 9mm and .223 and just swap machines rather than calibers. But as you can see I have .357 mag on there now. At the moment I reload .380, 9mm, .38, .357 mag, .44 mag, .45, .223 and .308. Adding .50AE soon as I just got the dies. Any other caliber I use I buy.

Perhaps I missed something. One of the few PITA I had with a 550 was adjusting the primer feed when switching from one primer size to the other. Had I two,
one would be for small primers and the other for large. Then again, I'm getting on and perhaps I don't remember too clearly.

Put away some new unprimed Winchester 44 mag brass and Rem 240 gr JHPs that I got a good deal on last week.

I'm planning on making more 9mm and also sort through a large bag of once fired 357 mag brass that was given to me recently.

Loaded some double round ball loads in 38 special brass.
I found a film canister full of .360 round balls so I loaded all of them up. Fun to play with

Perhaps I missed something. One of the few PITA I had with a 550 was adjusting the primer feed when switching from one primer size to the other. Had I two,
one would be for small primers and the other for large. Then again, I'm getting on and perhaps I don't remember too clearly.

I think there are two camps: One that swaps the primer assembly and one that swaps the entire machine.

I'm not sure which is easier from and accuracy and time saving perspective but swapping just the primer assembly would be cheaper.

I think there are two camps: One that swaps the primer assembly and one that swaps the entire machine.

I'm not sure which is easier from and accuracy and time saving perspective but swapping just the primer assembly would be cheaper.

I forget if 550B's come with two primer bars, or just one bar and both cups/seaters.

Swapping the primer bar itself is very quick -- unhook the spring, take out the 2 screws and swap the bar, align it, and screw it back down. The primer magazine takes all of 30 seconds to swap. If you only have one primer bar, it is absolutely worth the 22.95$ for a second one -- part 14281 or 14282 -- https://www.dillonprecision.com/rl-550-automatic-primer-system-parts_8_116_25373.html

I loaded some 9mm in both Blue Bullets and Acme HiTek. Pretty crazy the difference in diameter between the two. I usually load plated and that's what my dies were setup for. I had to really open up the case mouth for the HiTek and almost back it all the way out for the blue bullets.

I loaded some 9mm in both Blue Bullets and Acme HiTek. Pretty crazy the difference in diameter between the two. I usually load plated and that's what my dies were setup for. I had to really open up the case mouth for the HiTek and almost back it all the way out for the blue bullets.

I had to buy a special spreader for the powder drop, forget who makes it. Sean probably remembers.

Back
Top Bottom