• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do to your firearm today.

I recently moved, so unloaded the safe to put guns in cases for moving, finger banged them all on the way out. Got to the new house and finger banged them all again as I put them back into the safe.

Took a trip to the range with my cz455 rifle to try different ammos. These are my best 5 shot groups at 50 yards.
4c9caabff4f1992384fa751209e67409.jpg
4294887112b77fece962dc0d83798ce1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The last two times ive tested my carry piece ive had issues. S&W360pd

One issue was the cylinder release fell off, not a big deal since i don't carry a any more ammo.
The second issue was it only fired 3 rounds and jammed. I had to beat the case out with a hammer and punch. I couldn't believe how stuck it was. I believe it was Remington .357 PD ammo ive been using this ammo without issue. I put 200 various .38 .357 rounds through it cleaned it because i know you can have issues shooting .357 after shooting .38. I then fired 2 full cylinders and proceeded to carry. Once, twice a year ill shoot it, just to use ammo that has gotten wet at one point or another.when it does get wet i just dry the ammo clean the gun. Im not swimming with it or anything.

Anyway its not very reassuring, while its a pleasure to carry, if it doesnt work might aswell not cary.
I will say i did hit my mark on the 3rd shot at a 6" plate at 10 times the distance id every use it for defense. So technically i guess it probably would have do the job against 1 aggressor.

I stoned the sear face of the trigger bar on my Glock. Stock, it had a very positive angle of engagement. I changed the angle to something closer to neutral, but still on the positive side. Trigger feels great now, and is breaking at 3.25 lbs. I also put a little Slide Glide on the connector.

Yesterday I took my felonious AR-15 to the range and exercised it on the depressing anniversary of Healy day.

While I was there I got in some more bench rest time with my 308 and was happy with my first group at 100 yards.

Attachments

• 7 20 17 a 3 shot group 308 100 yards.jpg
    7 20 17 a 3 shot group 308 100 yards.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 41
Reloaded some AR, Glock, and shield magazines after having unloaded them at the range yesterday. Cleaned my Glock and .22 conversion kit too. Always reorganising the safe a little too.

Did some smoothing on the thumb safety on my DE 1911C over the weekend...

VNoLid7l.jpg

Much better than it was (would dig into my hand after 100+ rounds). Might need to do a bit more before I'll call it perfect. Then I just need to decide if I'm going to apply a finish to the metal, or leave it like this...

-- Update --
Did a bit more to it tonight... Had a bit of an edge on it (where I had filed earlier). Knocked that down then used a stone to get it smoother... This time, I removed the thumb safety before working on it. Kind of needed to due to where I needed to work.
27ez3Nml.jpg

Again, feels MUCH better in the hand.

Last edited:
I have small hands, so I uncut the trigger guard of my shield so I could fit my pinky on the grip with a 7 rd mag. Worked well. No more need for a pinky extension.

Took my mother out for our occasional "Guns and Grub" day yesterday and swung by Outer Limits after lunch because she's having problems racking the slide on her Shield. We wound up leaving OL with her new Ruger LCR and hitting the range later on, she really likes the Shield but I'm thinking she'll more than likely never use it again.

Every time I take her to a LGS she gets all excited like a kid in a candy store. [laugh]

Between my M&P and her Shield and LCR it was about 100 rounds for me yesterday, mom put around 60 through the LCR.

Last edited:
Leave work 1 hour early, go to range to see how these are sighted (bought used). With 158 grain .38 Specials, Security Six is spot on at 25 yards (I like the grips), but the Maximum was shooting 12" high at 12 yards and about 4-5" at 25 yards. (part of that could be me, too). At 50 yards I needed to drop my aim only an inch or so off target to be consistent. After 10 shots single-hand, that Blackhawk gets a tad heavy (said the fellow with no arm muscles)....I'll try to run some 357 Magnum's through them this weekend.

Put a TipTop Series IV bipod on this rifle and finally took it to the range (built it over a year ago).
Adams Arms piston upper with Sampson rail, Anderson lower, Magpul rifle stock, Daniel Defense grip. Scope is a Nikon P-223 (3x32) on P-Series mounts.
Really pleased with the accuracy of the Adams upper using cheap ammo.

D6QmhUS.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, kind of quiet here -- I know folks must be doing something neat with their firearms?

Let me start you out...
My thing for the day is I added one of the new OEM extended base plate magazines to my HK P30SK, simple yes but it makes a huge difference in my handhold.

c7CvFuS.jpg

gvVXGX2.jpg

BTW I am an HK fan and just getting this gun out of the safe for jacket wearing fall carry has got me thinking about getting a VP9SK even though I do not really need it. [laugh]

Adjusted my carry gear for winter. Tinkered on my new bravo concealment holster, added pancake loops. I like em pretty well but I wish they curved to fit my body a little bit more. Also swapped out my g19 carry mag for a g17. Total of 35 rounds toted now.

Made some 1/8" wide aluminum grip spacers for my MK III 22/45. The grip was way too narrow for me. Just need to install standard size 1911 grip screw bushings (had some laying around) and get an extra set of 1911 grip screws.

My thing for the day is I added one of the new OEM extended base plate magazines to my HK P30SK, simple yes but it makes a huge difference in my handhold.

c7CvFuS.jpg

^^^Quoting myself above for reference.

At the range the extended grip made a much bigger difference than I imagined in the feel of shooting the gun - it is a lot more enjoyable to shoot.

Next step in getting this safe dweller outfitted for fall carry was to get a new IWB holster.

I ordered a Garrett Industries leather lined kydex holster, the Silent Thunder model for $85 (+shipping) .
It took a little over two weeks to receive it and the build quality and materials are excellent.

3A4qWrz.jpg

t7ETpbI.jpg

I changed the firing pin in my MK IV to a Volquartsen pin. I inspected the original pin and found that it was still good, no cracks etc. I did not expect to find any, as I have only shot about two hundred rounds up to now. I plan on taking it back to the range sometime this week for a live fire test. WIN_20170930_15_40_04_Pro.jpg

I sold a gun today, First time too. It was a Ruger 22/45 MKIII. I have owed it for five years, but it spent most of the time in my safe. With my new MK IV, I really did not need the MKIII any longer.

Back
Top Bottom