• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do to your firearm today.

I did some load development for my new PRS rifle today at 500 yards on targets with electronic scoring. First time ever shooting at those. Beautiful day and I learned a bunch. 6.5 Creedmoor 26” bartlien barrel I tried 3 different weight bullets, settled on 130 grain Sierra Tipped Match Kings

Finished the 4th coat of tongue oil on my new RM1 special. Finished cleaning and lubing
then reassembled yesterday.

Attachments

• 60652647476__D8430C22-D083-4B69-A490-40E235D503C7.JPG
    60652647476__D8430C22-D083-4B69-A490-40E235D503C7.JPG
    330.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 60652649502__181EAABE-E3DC-4D6B-A26C-E6298BADB0D0.JPG
    60652649502__181EAABE-E3DC-4D6B-A26C-E6298BADB0D0.JPG
    375 KB · Views: 26
What barrel length are you going with? .223/5.56 or 300BLK?

I've got this 18 inch 5.56 upper laying around that I remember I could group to a pie plate with at 300 yards, with a scope I didn't like and a mil spec trigger. Had put it aside, put the scope on a .22, and been using a more special purpose .308 rifle for this kinda thing for awhile..

Putting this lower together (and in doing so remembered why and went with the mbt 2s trigger instead) to have more of a dedicated 5.56 tack driver - 2s trigger and a stock w/ a better cheek rest really all that means. Will put a scope on it, see how I do, if its accurate enough great, if not down the road will probably re-barrel with something else but still 18 inches (I think in 5.56 it's a good length for something scoped).

Just the tube left to go on the lower..

20200406_135218.jpg

Last edited:
Today's little distraction, trigger upgrade in an m5. Never tried one of the mbt-1s triggers, the 2s works great in another m5, should be fine I imagine but will see how much of an upgrade it is. 5.5 lbs, basically a more refined mil spec for this 16 inch rifle.

20200407_110144.jpg

Installed a new AeroPrecision BCG into my Spike AR.

DSC00010_zps9p3r6d6u.jpg

DSC00005_zps1yr6oaf3.jpg

The AR15 nib version I have been real happy with - you like yours?

Funny the AR10 nib version I am not sold on, first one had rough machining and I returned it to Aero, they were great and it was a quick hassle free replacement. But just generally it's a different design than the black nitride version, has a different trigger retaining pin, design is less refined, obviously not manufactured the same way (or at the same place). I think in m5 the black nitride version is a better product.

The AR15 nib version I have been real happy with - you like yours?

Funny the AR10 nib version I am not sold on, first one had rough machining and I returned it to Aero, they were great and it was a quick hassle free replacement. But just generally it's a different design than the black nitride version, has a different trigger retaining pin, design is less refined, obviously not manufactured the same way (or at the same place). I think in m5 the black nitride version is a better product.

So far so good but I'll have to take it out the range and see.

My little distraction today will be fitting these up with mag releases, bolt catch, and forward pins. Will be picking up triggers for them soon and have some more LPKs coming for other lowers..

Basically building all my lowers out to the point where they are verified as good but not to the point where I need another safe - a few have homes and will get fully setup, rest will just get checked for buffer tube & rear pin fitment then are stored.

20200408_101447.jpg

Does this count? Attempting to undermine the safety mechanism on this staple gun.

I found not only does it have a safety but it has a safety on the safety, such that you need to reset an electrical mechanism to allow follow up shots, ie like shutting off the gas supply and running a semi auto as a bolt action.

Need a momentary on/off switch (will be taped to the handle so you run it via 2 switches) to make this thing fully semi auto but I think I got it figured out.

20200408_154359.jpg

Installed a AGL Defence, ACT trigger around $70, in my Colt AR SP1. Very impressed with result from stock. Had JP triggers, Giessele's in the past but decided to go with a less budget busting mod and I call it a winner. Directions noted "to remove trigger pull out, no need to remove safety"...that was incorrect in my case.

Installed a new AeroPrecision BCG into my Spike AR.

DSC00010_zps9p3r6d6u.jpg

DSC00005_zps1yr6oaf3.jpg
Very nice. I've thought about getting a NiB BCG but have yet to pull the trigger. Do any places sell just the carrier without the bolt?? I've got a nice LMT bolt that I would want to keep.

Very nice. I've thought about getting a NiB BCG but have yet to pull the trigger. Do any places sell just the carrier without the bolt?? I've got a nice LMT bolt that I would want to keep.

Yes I've seen carriers minus bolts, but not Aero (ballistic advantage does sell what i assume are Aero bolts though minus carriers)...

Not sure I think its a great idea to mess with such for no good reason though. If you run into a tolerance stacking issue for instance - ie no good way to know timing is exactly the same on an Aero versus LMT bolt/carrier. It should be but 99.9% of the time these things remain a matched set.

Back
Top Bottom