What do your Cops carry

C-pher said:
It's really a necked down .40.

Exactly. 40S&W case, 9MM bullet. Ballistics are impressive and it remains my favorite semi auto cartridge. Waiting for the release of the M&P in 357SIG so I can sell my Glock 31. I use a 90gr Frangible bullet for my reloads and love it at 1450FPS.

Many PDs are changing from Glock to Sig, From Sig to Glock, From S&W to Sig, From Glock to S&W and on and on. It all comes down to price. Who is offering the best deal when replacements are due.

Regards,

BigBill said:
Our cops carry 40 cal glocks.

I hear the new buzz word is the 357SIG. Its a 357mag in an auto with the same power as the 125jhp 357mag as the 357sig 125jhp. Lets face it its a copy of the 7,62 tokarev on steroids but we won't go there because its a commie round.

Next thing you know, they'll be carrying the powerful .357 Magnum. Oh wait, that is out of style. ??

Better still, is the .400 Cor-bon, which is a .45 necked down to .40.

.400 CorBon Everything You Ever Wanted To Know
400 CorBon
400 COR-BON

Anyhow, moving on, doesn't the Mass State Police have Sigs in .40? A lot of departments probably follow that lead, or a Glock .40.

It would be interesting to see nationwide, what calibers and brands are carried. Haven't seen too much of Ruger .45 or Sig .45 yet.

Last edited:
Round Gun Shooter said:
40S&W case, 9MM bullet.

Isn't exactly a .40 S&W case. The specs for the case wall thinkness are slightly higher than the .40 S&W to allow greater internal pressures. However, a .40 magazine usually feeds these just fine which is why Barsto makes drop-in barrels for a lot of .40 guns in .357 SIG.

Does use the 0.355" standard 9mm bullet.

VERY unique report too.

Ammo's still a little expensive however. I was really hoping to see the round come between the 9mm and the .40 in terms of cost. Instead, it's still higher than even a .44 Mag round.

Oh, and to get back on topic...

Bolton turned in their Sig 229s for SigPros in .40 S&W in the fall of 2002.

Weer'd Beard said:
he's gone now. This was after I was Exiled from Maine, but I'm super glad Chitwood is nolonger around. The old Port was HEAVILY patroled by officers DURRING THE DAY, but as soon as the bars opened up they'd all go home. Then when an incident happened late at night in a bar, Chitwood would just refuse to grant the bar a renewal of the liquor licence. [rolleyes] That's kinda like saying you can own all the guns you want, just ammo is illigal!

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard
Thanks for the good news and update.[cheers]

ArmedMainer said:
Thanks for the good news and update.[cheers]

Indeed, It's just like when Tom Reilly is out of political office. Doesn't really matter WHO it is, just we all know they'll most likely be better.

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

We purchased our own on and off duty(if carried) with out own funds. In fact, we purchased all of our own equipment (Secaucus PD, NJ). However, we had a clothing and maintenence allowance and all purchases were tax dedutable.

On duty were: S&W 5906, 4006 or 4013. Some of the older officers had 659 or 6906. Off oduty was anything in 38, 380, 9mm or 40S&W. 357Mag. could be carried with a 38 load.

Wilmington Carries Beretta 96g Centurions in .40. as for long guns they have a choice of full size or shorty Ar15's with or without Eotech sights. Shotguns its Benelli M-2 or Beretta 1201's.

Last edited:
45 Carry

Only one department in the northern end of the state carried a 45ACP and that was the S&W 4513 I believe. Most carry the 40S&W or 9mm. A few carry the .357 SIG but that cal. never caught on in the LE circles.

rscalzo said:
Only one department in the northern end of the state carried a 45ACP and that was the S&W 4513 I believe.
Just out of curiousity, what dept was that? I used to live in Fair Lawn but spent a lot of time around the Newton-Sparta area.

As for the Ruger .45, I've read an article by Masaad Ayoob where he states that his department in NH (whichever one it is) uses the Ruger P90. Ugliest gun in the world (after a Glock, of course), but utterly reliable.

LenS said:
What makes you think that you command a high priority?
What makes you think that I was thinking that? I was more thinking that someone would jump in to correct me since I didn't know where Mr. Ayoob worked!

I don't know where "Mr. Ayoob" works but I do know where Mas worked! [devil]

When he was down in MA teaching at a seminar for AWARE, he was carrying and wearing his badge on his belt. A couple of Summers ago, we even spotted a sign for Grantham as we were traveling in NH. It's a tiny town just East of "nowhere" NH. [laugh]

A good friend (ret'd LEO) lives in Sunapee, NH, so that is how I spotted Grantham on my way up to visit him a couple of years ago.

GranthamNH.gif

45 Carry

The Hudson County Sheriff's was the only department that I was aware of that carried the 45ACP. Morristown PD carried the 1911 many years back but that ended. A friend of mine was one of the owners of Ray's Sport Shop and he told me some departments were going to the 45ACP but not in large numbers.

Somerville keeps all their duty guns in a desk in the evidence room and then burries it along with cash and jewelry [smile]

Back
Top Bottom