What have you seen lately?

Opened the windows last night and what sounded like a couple of coyotes, proceeded to serenade our dogs at 10:30pm. The vermin were hugging the tree line behind our house, going bullshit for 2 hours. Our pups were going nuts, but then the cocker began trembling. And we can't have that.

Connecticut desperately needs a bear season but the tree huggers are formidable.

Bears live to see another day: CT lawmakers to abandon plan for hunting season​

HARTFORD — Connecticut’s black bears won a last-minute reprieve this week, as state lawmakers said Thursday they were abandoning their push to establish a limited bear hunting season.

The decision — hailed by wildlife and conservation activists — was the latest blow against a years-long campaign by hunters and farmers to legalize bear hunting, particularly in the Northwest corner of the state where the majority of sightings are concentrated.

On Friday, lawmakers were scheduled to hold an initial vote on a proposal that would have permitted the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection to set up a lottery system for hunters to kill up to 50 black bears each year in Litchfield County. In addition, the bill included a permitting system to allow farmers to kill nuisance bears, stricter regulations against the feeding of wildlife and other non-lethal means of preventing encounters between humans and the state’s growing population of bears.

https://www.ctinsider.com/politics/article/ct-bear-hunt-bill-lacks-support-17857066.php

Connecticut desperately needs a bear season but the tree huggers are formidable.

Bears live to see another day: CT lawmakers to abandon plan for hunting season​

HARTFORD — Connecticut’s black bears won a last-minute reprieve this week, as state lawmakers said Thursday they were abandoning their push to establish a limited bear hunting season.

The decision — hailed by wildlife and conservation activists — was the latest blow against a years-long campaign by hunters and farmers to legalize bear hunting, particularly in the Northwest corner of the state where the majority of sightings are concentrated.

On Friday, lawmakers were scheduled to hold an initial vote on a proposal that would have permitted the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection to set up a lottery system for hunters to kill up to 50 black bears each year in Litchfield County. In addition, the bill included a permitting system to allow farmers to kill nuisance bears, stricter regulations against the feeding of wildlife and other non-lethal means of preventing encounters between humans and the state’s growing population of bears.

https://www.ctinsider.com/politics/article/ct-bear-hunt-bill-lacks-support-17857066.php
The best thing to do with Connecticut: leave it.

My kids were over the other night for dinner. A decent sized doe was in the yard eating leaves off of the underbrush. That was on the side of my side porch - 16' of glass.

We let daughter's dog onto porch. She was beside herself. Trying to stay still so the deer wouldn't bolt but wanting to react to the deer. It was a pretty funny 2-3 min standoff until the deer had had enough and bolted into the woods.

I always scan the back fields for critters lately does are laying down under shade. This week saw a big rear end of what I thought was a doe, munching on a patch of wood-line. On the third day I saw him spin around and spied a beautiful new growth fuzzy 4 pointer. The next day saw the big guy in the same spot, along with a small male maybe 2 years old. I'll start looking for scrapes later on in the month.

They dig your banging quads. ;)
I have a theory: the worse I smell, the easier time I have riding right up to deer - that one backed away at first on hearing me, then as I stopped, put the bike down, took the pack off and put it on the bike, and took out the phone and started shooting photos, actually started WALKING TOWARDS me.

Meanwhile, the bears get one whiff and, "NOPE. I want nuttin' to do with THAT." The one time I rode up to bears (mama and two cubs) smelling like mountainbikasaurus I took them (and they took me) by surprise. I was coming down a hill at speed and just blew past them. But they were horrified: the cubs scrambled up a tree and mama jumped behind it.

I’ve been doing it all wrong - trail cams, cammo gear, blinds, stands… Just put a lawn chair out and shoot!View attachment 791704
Did some goose population control at a farm today. We didn't need much more than that.
20230904_180130.jpg
Also saw these guys. We'll see if we can't catch up with them again, later...
20230904_183957.jpg

The eagles were out in full force this weekend in Lakeville. Shockingly. Saw several. Sunday there were two separate eagles (they each took off in different directions) scaring off an osprey. The osprey doesn't give 2 F's. He's 10x the fisher they are. He can find fish anywhere. Both eagles flew away dejected and hungry. LOL

No loons this year. I guess they are further to NB than Lakeville on the ponds. :(. Not a peep - maybe one in the late Spring. Nothing all summer.

I've got crappy zoomed in cell pix, but my kids are seeing TONS of deer in Somerset, MA - well, almost Swansea in that section. They had 5 bucks in the field behind their house. FIVE. BUCKS! Damn. I don't think I've ever seen 3 bucks TOTAL in MA. LOL

I’ve been seeing any where from 3 to 10 in the bogs behind me, with 3 small bucks in the group. Most I’ve seen in the 10 years I’ve been here. (Hanson). Usually to far for pics.

We had a beautiful red tail hawk zoom in and attempt to snatch a rabbit munching on clover just 10’off the back deck. Rabbit was fast and booked it back under the deck. Hawk had to back peddle his wings to keep from crashing into us. Big fella too.

Last week I saw two Fisher Cats in my blueberry bushes. One would climb in and shake while the other was eating them up. This was about 6:30AM. I watched for a couple of minutes then went to get my phone to film it but they were gone. The only other time I saw one was late at night darting across the road. I know damn well that they were Fishers, I still can't beleive it.

Back
Top Bottom