• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What have you seen lately?

What's that white stuff? LOL

(It has been odd to have snow on the ground for over a week. I think we got 4-5" total snowfall last year. We're up to near 10 I believe for 2023/24. I think average is 25 or so.)

Hard to tell from the picture as there is no reference for scale. ”Looks“ like cat to me but it all comes down to size 1-1/2” to 2” bobcat. Smaller is house cat to me. There won’t be any young bobcat this time of year.

Hard to tell from the picture as there is no reference for scale. ”Looks“ like cat to me but it all comes down to size 1-1/2” to 2” bobcat. Smaller is house cat to me. There won’t be any young bobcat this time of year.
I'm no track expert but this was middle of the woods.....wouldn't expect a house cat to be that far from homes.....and they were much bigger than house cat paws.....these were big.

I'm no track expert but this was middle of the woods.....wouldn't expect a house cat to be that far from homes.....and they were much bigger than house cat paws.....these were big.

I have seen house cats a long way from homes. They can wander a long ways. That’s why it comes down to size for me. 1.5”-2” is bobcat for sure as there aren’t any kits this time of year.

Good on you for getting out. The snow cover has been great for seeing what’s out there, post season.

I have seen house cats a long way from homes. They can wander a long ways. That’s why it comes down to size for me. 1.5”-2” is bobcat for sure as there aren’t any kits this time of year.

Good on you for getting out. The snow cover has been great for seeing what’s out there, post season.
Found lots of rabbit tracks.....no rabbits. Without a beagle it's alot of luck. Kinda like hitting the lottery lol. But it's nice to take the shotgun for a walk.

Saw these about a week ago. What do they appear to be? I forgot to put something there for scale.

Attachments

• IMG_20240121_133706771.jpg
    IMG_20240121_133706771.jpg
    885.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20240121_133653908.jpg
    IMG_20240121_133653908.jpg
    875.4 KB · Views: 15
Got deer behind my house but nothing on cameras out in the woods. The cameras haven't shown any activity for the past 3 weeks. Yarding?
Likely. This time of year they get somewhat bear like, metabolism slows down and their food needs go way down and movement as well to keep from using energy.
You might notice if the sun ever pops out on a nice 40 degree day you will see them moving as their not using energy to keep warm they move around. But right now around here its been cold cloudy/rain/snow and in the 20's for about 7 days straight.

I took a walk back behind my house did about 6 miles cut zero deer tracks, and walked 3 straight miles of cart road.....zero deer tracks crossing the road from woodlot to woodlot after about a week of having the same snow on it. That's about as bad as its ever been. They are probably all in one area yarded. My area probably has less than 5 deer per mile in the poorly wooded habitat with too much old growth state land.

Lots of coyote tracks, can tell they are searching for food.

Back
Top Bottom