What is the most likely scenario...

Home invasion mostly. Both the wife and I have LTC's, and have a plan if somthing like that ever did happen. I'd like to think we would stick to that plan. I do know one thing, our guns are close and there are no kids left in the house to worry about. I certainly would not want to fire on someone, but if your in my house late at night trying to hurt my wife and I? It wont end well for anyone. As far as out and about? Tough to say. Im pushing 60, and trying to stop an assault with my fists, probably wouldnt end well for me [unless the bad guy was 70] :) I believe all of us would like to think we would step up and do anything necessary outside our own property to help an innocent victim of violence, but this is Mass and even pulling the gun would result in assault with deadly weapon charges at best. I frigging hate this state.. yet I stay..

Home invasion.........oh, have you ever tried to get your gun at 2am from the safe waking up from a sound sleep? You got about 3 seconds if you get right up! Your only hope is they go for the wife and kids first and you get an extra few seconds. So now how do you like your gun safe?

If you have a small single handgun lock box bolted to the side rails of your bed, you leave it unlocked when you go to bed. Upon need it is readily available and who is to say you didn't unlock it? Just a thought.[smile]

If you have a small single handgun lock box bolted to the side rails of your bed, you leave it unlocked when you go to bed. Upon need it is readily available and who is to say you didn't unlock it? Just a thought.[smile]

One in the mattress...who is to say I didn't just get it from the lock box under the bed and re-lock the safe?

Me or my family facing serious bodily injury or death. I would consider a home invasion as a clear sign they wish to do me or my family harm. If a person is being raped I know in some states that's reason enough to use deadly force. I'm not sure if it's cause enough in NH, but if it were a family member of mine being raped I would use deadly force.

It most definitely is.

NH Criminal Code Chapter 627 said:
627:4 Physical Force in Defense of a Person. –
I. A person is justified in using non-deadly force upon another person in order to defend himself or a third person from what he reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful, non-deadly force by such other person, and he may use a degree of such force which he reasonably believes to be necessary for such purpose. However, such force is not justifiable if:
(a) With a purpose to cause physical harm to another person, he provoked the use of unlawful, non-deadly force by such other person; or
(b) He was the initial aggressor, unless after such aggression he withdraws from the encounter and effectively communicates to such other person his intent to do so, but the latter notwithstanding continues the use or threat of unlawful, non-deadly force; or
(c) The force involved was the product of a combat by agreement not authorized by law.
II. A person is justified in using deadly force upon another person when he reasonably believes that such other person:
(a) Is about to use unlawful, deadly force against the actor or a third person;
(b) Is likely to use any unlawful force against a person present while committing or attempting to commit a burglary;
(c) Is committing or about to commit kidnapping or a forcible sex offense; or
(d) Is likely to use any unlawful force in the commission of a felony against the actor within such actor's dwelling or its curtilage.
II-a. A person who responds to a threat which would be considered by a reasonable person as likely to cause serious bodily injury or death to the person or to another by displaying a firearm or other means of self-defense with the intent to warn away the person making the threat shall not have committed a criminal act.

Speaking of home invasions, a friend I went to HS with just fended off a home invasion out in Vacaville, CA 2 days ago now. Her fiancee (who is active duty military) got a face full of mace while on the phone with 911 before she was able to get a gun. Luckily the perps (three of em) were not up for a fight so they ran off and were shortly apprehended by police a few blocks away.

Based on statistics:

Out and About defending another is most likely
Out and About defending self would be next most likely
(both of those are really wrong place / wrong time)
Then Home Invasion

When I strap on my gun, I hope I'll never have to use it.
When I draw my gun, I hope I'll never have to fire it.
I do not carry a gun because I WANT to shoot someone, I carry a gun because I do not want to live the rest of my life wishing there was something I could have done to stop something bad from happening.

Out and about for me. But I've had people try to jump me more times than I can count on one hand. Never used a weapon though. Pulled a knife one time when I was badly outnumbered and said I'm leaving.

Never had anyone come into my house, but one time I was at my friend Bob's house and some drunk guy walked in, looking for someone that didn't live there. The guy didn't get it at first, that he was in the wrong place. This made me nervous as hell, I thought he was going to try to rob us. Nope, turned out he was just really drunk and at the wrong house. Had Issac Newton on me, made me feel a lot better.

It most definitely is.

Speaking of home invasions, a friend I went to HS with just fended off a home invasion out in Vacaville, CA 2 days ago now. Her fiancee (who is active duty military) got a face full of mace while on the phone with 911 before she was able to get a gun. Luckily the perps (three of em) were not up for a fight so they ran off and were shortly apprehended by police a few blocks away.

Put 911 on speed dial on your cell phone - if it's a smart phone, put it on the desktop If it's not, enter the name as A 911 so that it lists first. In a home invation, start the call, put on speaker phone and drop the phone. E-911 can trace your cell-phone to within 100' if you can't answer. Remember, once you've called 911, you have to hold out at least 4-minutes before help will arrive and you want to be there to greet them when they do.

Put 911 on speed dial on your cell phone - if it's a smart phone, put it on the desktop If it's not, enter the name as A 911 so that it lists first. In a home invation, start the call, put on speaker phone and drop the phone. E-911 can trace your cell-phone to within 100' if you can't answer. Remember, once you've called 911, you have to hold out at least 4-minutes before help will arrive and you want to be there to greet them when they do.

Why would you want to drop the phone? Why not just put it in your pocket?

To prevent the bad guys from getting a hold of it? If it is buried in the folds of your comforter, they'll never find it, but the rectangular, glowing bulge in your pocket(of your pajamas? Boxers with pockets?) is a dead giveaway.

My plan is to defend the house while the GF calls 911. I defend her position with my life, and hopefully the PD gets there quick, they're 2 blocks away.

I will also add having my face eaten in Miami as a likely scenario to need my CCW.

Zombies...
904335_370.jpg

It's the fastest response so that you can focus on the real matter at hand - defending yourself and loves ones, just like dropping a spent magazine rather than putting it in your pocket.

You also don't risk accidentally turning the phone off when you put it in your pocket. If the call is disconnected before 911 answers, they'll try to call back and hopefully send a unit if there's no response.

When you drop an open-mic speaker phone cell, you can still communicate with 911 with your hands still free to defend yourself. 911 can hear any commotion that occurs (unlikely if its in your pocket)

A dropped phone doesn't ring and give away your position at an inopertune time

Harder for an intruder to gain control of the phone and claim it was called in error and emergency services are not needed.

4 Minutes? Do you live next door to the police station?

This. Even driving ~60 (1.5-2x the limit), it takes more than 4 minutes to get from the station to my house. And that's if they could even figure out where it was. That's also assuming they're at the station, and not on the other side of town near the Worcester line, where they usually are.

This. Even driving ~60 (1.5-2x the limit), it takes more than 4 minutes to get from the station to my house. And that's if they could even figure out where it was. That's also assuming they're at the station, and not on the other side of town near the Worcester line, where they usually are.
Oh c'mon, in your case then just have to put down the binoculars and walk across the street... [laugh]

Well, in his defense he did say "at least" 4 minutes.

I'm thinking that, based on the ratio of time spent out of the home to in the home as well as increased opportunities to GTFO of Dodge in many "Out and about" scenarios, the shiznit would be more likely to go down at home.

It would have to be an incident at home, not limited to home invasion though.

When I had the coyote on the other side of the fence the other night it was 22 and 870 time and I was prepared to light it up with the laser if it had made it inside the fence and I had a clear shot.

Back
Top Bottom