• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What is the one item needed for prep plans that nobody has thought of...

I recently remembered that even if gas stations are closed, there is probably residual gas/diesel in the underground tanks, so I added 20 ft of tubing and a small hand pump to my kit. (I already had bolt cutters)

This got me thinking, what other brilliant items, or brilliant uses for common items, are there that nobody ever thinks of adding to their kits?

I will award a set of 1911 Burlwood grips for the best answer.

Rules:
- Only enter once.
- Picking one thing instead of listing 20 makes the game more challenging.
- Please don't give any obvious answers. We are all beyond that, are we not?
- Comedians: Thank you in advance for your answer that approximates one of the following: Jack Daniels, Condoms, Miss. December, S&W .500, Flame Thrower, M1 Abrams, Gerald R. Ford-class carrier, Toilet Paper.

(popcorn)

Interesting.

I'd say that a basic tool kit (Assorted wrenches, pliers, hammer, screwdrivers, etc.) will be invaluable. A leatherman is a nice item, but it lacks the capability of a set of combination wrenches.

When the SHTF, you may have to take it apart to get it running, again.

Now....this is obviously not for a Man-Portable Bug-Out-Bag, but that's not what was specified in the OP.

I do have one of those tool kits in a blow molded case that I got at the depot for $39.99. I thought it was a good addition to my BOB, but all the steel was Chinese and felt flimsy in my hands. In retrospect, maybe not the best approach.

Note: I deliberately used the word "kit" because I did not want to limit the scope of the answers.

- Comedians: Thank you in advance for your answer that approximates one of the following: Jack Daniels, Condoms, Miss. December, S&W .500, Flame Thrower, M1 Abrams, Gerald R. Ford-class carrier, Toilet Paper.

I don't think that TP is a neccessarily comedic answer. I know that I have a case in with my supplies. Remember after 3 days, the shelves will be empty. Of course at that point we could use paper money, that's about all it will be good for.

Conibear traps. Being able to find food in residential areas (squirrels, raccoons, possums, etc) will be extremely important. If you have plenty of land then you can grow your own food, but that's extremely slow, dependent on weather, and can be easily raided. A couple hidden traps can get you high protein meals quickly. Not many people in the suburbs would think ahead about catching squirrels to eat, so it could give you a head up on your competition.

I was pretty pleased with my myriad backpacking and even larger Camp Chef propane stoves. During the ice storm a while back we cooked breakfasts and stews for the whole neighborhood.

But what happens when butane and propane run out?

For my ultralight backpacking I purchased an extremely efficient lightweight stove that runs on both denatured alcohol and twigs.

http://www.traildesigns.com/stoves/caldera-ti-tri-ulc

This allows me to cook extremely and efficiently forever on nearly no fuel, with minimal risk of being seen or starting a conflagration.

5 Hour Energy - (Yes I am dead serous)

Or, coffee grains and a percolator. Percolators are rather obscure these days, but where you find them is in the camping section of stores (even Wal-Mart). It's easy to somehow make a small flame to heat it, while 1500W for an electric coffee maker may be in short supply.

Everyone of course has flash lights, but what they may not have is a headlamp. A year ago when the power was out for a week, it came in very handy when I was outside in the cold and dark, trying to cook food over a Volcano stove. I first tried with a flashlight, quickly realized this sucks, then went and got the headlamp. Much better!!

A battle buddy - you'll have to sleep at some point and without someone you can trust your life with you will not last long. And I keep mine in the front pouch of the BOB.

A battle buddy - you'll have to sleep at some point and without someone you can trust your life with you will not last long. And I keep mine in the front pouch of the BOB.

Aside from the standard definition of battle buddy, what is a battle buddy you can keep in a pouch on your BOB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dog health supplies... heart guard, front line, First aid supplies, pain killers, etc.

A good dog can be a huge help. Keep them healthy or you might lose an invaluable asset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or, coffee grains and a percolator. Percolators are rather obscure these days, but where you find them is in the camping section of stores (even Wal-Mart). It's easy to somehow make a small flame to heat it, while 1500W for an electric coffee maker may be in short supply.

The ones in the camping section at Wallyworld suck. And I'm not given to trashing products.

I got a better one at a thrift store, but I'm looking at estate sales for an old school granny-style perc.

Serious answer, un lubricated condoms. They hold about a liter of water each, can be used as a tourniquet, and have many other uses. Plus, they take up almost no space in a BOB.

Serious answer, un lubricated condoms. They hold about a liter of water each, can be used as a tourniquet, and have many other uses. Plus, they take up almost no space in a BOB.

Also as covers for barrels. Versus the standard AR ones they are a hell of a lot cheaper and still keep mud and dirt out with no issues shooting through them (the things you learn in Army AIT)

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk 2

Echoing Midnight412, I would say the most important thing to have is a group of trusted friends that have complimentary, specialized skills. Skills like carpentry, farming, cooking, machine repair, etc.

Knowledge! I am serious, a plan and knowing where and what you need and where you can get it. I am constantly looking for places that have solar panels such as ones used to power street lights, and where there are large companies with small "solar fields" with hundreds of panels that might not miss one or two if I were to borrow them. Also a list of food supply warehouses. I am not talking about BJ's or Sams but more like the warehouses that supply these. I am also looking at knowing how to use the everyday items that we have lying around in multiple ways. Pet meds that are usable for humans, pool shock (which can be used to purify H20) tampons and pads for field dressing...staple and aaa battery to start a fire etc.... Survival books and websites are great but you should print out what is not already in hard copy format.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom