What is the one item needed for prep plans that nobody has thought of...

pictures. Having something to remember who you are or who you you knew would be huge in getting through tough times. The body can be strong, but with a weak mind you will not last long. I know a couple of people who said they would not have made it out of V.N. without pictures

Knowledge! I am serious, a plan and knowing where and what you need and where you can get it. I am constantly looking for places that have solar panels such as ones used to power street lights, and where there are large companies with small "solar fields" with hundreds of panels that might not miss one or two if I were to borrow them. Also a list of food supply warehouses. I am not talking about BJ's or Sams but more like the warehouses that supply these. I am also looking at knowing how to use the everyday items that we have lying around in multiple ways. Pet meds that are usable for humans, pool shock (which can be used to purify H20) tampons and pads for field dressing...staple and aaa battery to start a fire etc.... Survival books and websites are great but you should print out what is not already in hard copy format.

Does anyone know where a list of whole distributor warehouses is? Could you PM me the info?

Nylon stockings, (leggs) they can provide warmth, be used as a filter, tourniguet, cordage, even as a belt for some engines, ventilated carry bag, netting to keep bugs off you, cover seedlngs to keep bugs off and on and on.

The ones in the camping section at Wallyworld suck. And I'm not given to trashing products.

I got a better one at a thrift store, but I'm looking at estate sales for an old school granny-style perc.

Not surprising. Now that I think of it, mine is from cabelas.

Solar panels. Having several solar panels and a small battery bank would give vital minimalist energy needs. To have the small amount of electrictiy to run your refridgeration and heating system for a period of time every day would save you from expelling so much energy and time. In a shtf situation there will be so many priorities, but not having to spend huge amounts of time and energy on providing refridgeration, warmth and shelter will allow you to spend more time on gathering food, water and other necessities. Small amounts of electricity also can contribute immensely to counteracting boredom (tv, radio games, and computers if available) . It allows the ability to gain information. Having the ability to turn on a light at night would boost morale tremendously.

I know that the question stated an item that was brilliant and not commonly thought of. I am stating solar panels because although everyone has thought about them, very few actually have them.

With all due respect to Tater, having the knowledge of where to obtain a solar panel is vastly different than having one. When the shtf I want to spend my time and energy on whatever emergency that must be dealt with. To have to try and acquire and implement a solar energy system while everyone around you is scrambling for whatever resources they feel are important, would put yourself behind.

a small solar system is simple, you need 4 items
solar panels to gather energy
charge controller to regulate energy to batteries
Battery bank to store energy
power inverter to create 110 volt ac

It is that simple, even if you do not want to set up the system, start buying the components. Start with one solar panel, then buy a charge controller (buy big enough for expanding the system), buy one or two batteries (agm deep cycle) and lastly a power inverter (again buy bigger for future expansion). Now that you are set up you can add solar panels and batteries until you are satisfied.

Last edited:
Multivitamins, for keeping your energy level and immunity up when you're eating <insert whatever shelf stable food you have> for a month and have zero fresh produce.

And this, which I found at Trader Joe's today. $1.99 for 10, and it's actually good. No more carrying around pilfered sugar packets from Dunkin to go with my Starbucks Via. coffeelr-550x365.jpg

a good map book. If we have a real SHTF scenario more than likley electronics might not work so cellphones and GPS will be toast. a good map and compass is always a good thing

Rope. Lots and lots of rope.

If I could have only 4 things to survive long term in the woulds I would take an axe, a gun, a kettle to boil or store water and lots of rope.

Everyone of course has flash lights, but what they may not have is a headlamp. A year ago when the power was out for a week, it came in very handy when I was outside in the cold and dark, trying to cook food over a Volcano stove. I first tried with a flashlight, quickly realized this sucks, then went and got the headlamp. Much better!!

I have a few headlamps set about the house. They're LED-based, so the batteries would last a while.

I would think a decent assortment of seeds for establishing a renewable food source. Seed packets are light, take up little space. Growing your own food could be helpful if you were going for long term bug out.

Agreed our percolator is from Cabelas. Its how we make our daily coffee. Well worth the sixty five bucks.

$65??????????????????

Mine was from my childhood, and cost the $0.001 of soap to wash it out. Still use it for camping and when power goes out, on the Coleman stove or even the grill.

I would think a decent assortment of seeds for establishing a renewable food source. Seed packets are light, take up little space. Growing your own food could be helpful if you were going for long term bug out.

Yeah, but don't they go bad after a year or two?

I would hope I wouldn't need to wait a year or two to start growing food if it looked like it was going to come to that. After you start growing you would always have fresh seed.........depending on how well you could grow stuff. Need to start somewhere.........

A massive supply of Glide dental floss. In a post-apocalyptic world, you're going to need to take care if your teeth. Dental floss is far better than toothpaste. Glide is Teflon coated and very reusable for multiple flossings. It's also strong enough for other uses.

Back
Top Bottom