• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What is your "Long Range" Rifle Platform?

I
The bigger issue with shooting matches with M14 pattern rifles is their finickiness. You need to bed the stock and do all kinds of voodoo to get a 1 MOA gun. God forbid you bump the gun too hard it can throw something off. So it's not the reliability per se. It's the effort and finickiness necessary to build and maintain a truly accurate rifle.

I shot service rifle back when people still used them and people were very very delicate with their match rifles.

Contrast that with an AR pattern rifle. Buy a good straight, stiff upper. Bolt a good barrel to it. And it will shoot sub moa. drop the gun and nothing changes.
I’ve always been happy with hits on center mass with irons at 200 yards
Making the 8” gong ring over and over offhand was my game with this rifle
Used to shoot CMP meets with it too

Last edited:
Neat rimfire external ballistics discussion with Litz.

View: https://youtube.com/watch?v=uMjjWdPcnXA

Edit: For those who don’t want to watch a video, he uncovered something he is calling Mach trimming. Essentially, if the bullets have a MV around the speed of sound, they tend to have tighter vertical dispersion. Because while their initial muzzle velocities may include a normal spread, the ones just over the speed of sound will slow to under the speed of sound quicker than they will once subsonic. So the actual extreme spread of the bullets’ MVs is functionally reduced, So the speed of sound creates a sort of extreme spread upper limit. The downside is that he seems to see increased wind effect from this. Not sure why.

This phenomena isn’t likely limited to just rimfire, but could be applied to pistol cartridges too.

Last edited:

Edit: For those who don’t want to watch a video, he uncovered something he is calling Mach trimming. Essentially, if the bullets have a MV around the speed of sound, they tend to have tighter vertical dispersion. Because while their initial muzzle velocities may include a normal spread, the ones just over the speed of sound will slow to under the speed of sound quicker than they will once subsonic. So the actual extreme spread of the bullets’ MVs is functionally reduced, So the speed of sound creates a sort of extreme spread upper limit. The downside is that he seems to see increased wind effect from this. Not sure why.

This phenomena isn’t likely limited to just rimfire, but could be applied to pistol cartridges too.

Thanks, you just saved me 20 minutes. Ha.

AR-10.jpg

I just finished this 2 weeks ago. It's still a work in progress. It needs optics and a bipod.

RC

Looks like LabRadar is dropping prices in the face of competition

Midsouth Shooters Supply has it for $500
Now down to $450. Looks like our classifieds here have some good deals on it, but the new price continues to fall.

This has been fairly well known allegorically tho its good to have documented evidence. Thus, CCI SV is preferred by most precision shooters over a high velocity round since it starts just below the speed of sound. There is also the destabilization effect of going transonic, which is obv more of a problem for dispersion when the bullet literally starts out transonic.

Now down to $450. Looks like our classifieds here have some good deals on it, but the new price continues to fall.

With the Garmin out the Labradars just don’t get the premium anymore. I sold mine for $450 a few months back and was happy to get that. Found the Garmin to be much simpler to use honestly.

With the Garmin out the Labradars just don’t get the premium anymore. I sold mine for $450 a few months back and was happy to get that. Found the Garmin to be much simpler to use honestly.
yep, garmin is simply amazing compared to pretty much any of that older tech. minimal fuss and works very well.

I was seriously considering picking up a Labrador used at a big discount. But lots of people have said that it doesn't do well with .22 LR.

If I was only planning to use it for centerfire , then I'd probably consider it. But given this weakness,I'll probably pick up a Garmin at some point.

I was seriously considering picking up a Labrador used at a big discount. But lots of people have said that it doesn't do well with .22 LR.

If I was only planning to use it for centerfire , then I'd probably consider it. But given this weakness,I'll probably pick up a Garmin at some point.

I’d pay $200 for the Labradar, otherwise I’d get the Garmin. I can carry it to the range in a small Magpul soft case, with its tripod. The charge lasts multiple sessions. It is genuinely no fuss. The only times it failed to record a shot was when I got carried away and fired another shot before it computed the velocity. I haven’t really had to worry about aiming it. Just put it down roughly aimed at the target. I’ve heard too many horror stories of people having trouble aiming the Labradar.

The Garmin is so handy. For me there is no other Chronograph option until someone comes out with something similar for cheaper.

Guys, just showing us a picture of a rifle doesn't really tell us much.

What caliber?
What chamber?
What twist?
Who made the barrel?
What loads are you using in it?
What's the trigger?
Optic?
Tell us why a verticle foregrip helps you at long range.

What caliber?
What chamber?
What twist?
Who made the barrel?
What's the trigger?
Optic?
Who says it helps me at long range? I also have a micro dot set up for 25 to 50 off hand, so it helps me there.

308, BA 16" govt profile premium barrel, standard 149 loads, geissele g2s, PA DMR 308 4-16x, Bushnell microdot

Last edited:
Who says it helps me at long range? I also have a micro dot set up for 25 to 50 off hand, so it helps me there.

308, BA 16" govt profile premium barrel, standard 149 loads, geissele g2s, PA DMR 308 4-16x, Bushnell microdot
I don't know. You're not the first person in this thread (What is your long range platform?) to post a pic of an AR with a vertical foregrip. I was wondering what the advantages are of having one, and if I was missing out on something.

I don't know. You're not the first person in this thread (What is your long range platform?) to post a pic of an AR with a vertical foregrip. I was wondering what the advantages are of having one, and if I was missing out on something.
The vert grip works in conjunction with my Bushnell micro dot, as before I moved to NH, I used to bring my 308 with me when camping in NH or VT for a wilderness defense rifle. Used to swap my PA for my EOtech on there before getting the microdot.

Last edited:
SLR AR10 billet matched set, and the only handguard they sell that matched the receiver set. Painted in Distressed Grey
CMC 3.5lb straight trigger.
Faxon Big Gunner fluted match barrel.
Oden Works bolt and carrier.
Radian Weapons Raptor charging handle, ported for suppressor use.
Magpul PRS Gen 3 stock. Painted in Distressed Grey to match.
Silent capture recoil spring (can't remember brand).
Strike Industries Adjustable gas system.
Rugged R3L flash hider.
Magpul pistol grip
Optics will be Primary Arms SLX 3x. Later it may be Elcan SpecterDr

I finished it this year. I planned it to be a 1 year project.
Tomorrow I'll sight-in the EoTech EXPS3-4 that's on it currently, and play with it at 100yds. That's the max I have at my personal range with steel gong.

RC

What caliber?
What chamber?
What twist?
Who made the barrel?
What's the trigger?
Optic?
Hi Maura. [laugh]

LP Fuzion SA
Foundation Centurion
26" Hawk Hill 1.250" Straight 1:7.5" Twist
6 BRA chambered by Garret Preece
ZCO 5-27View attachment 867726
Lapua brass
30gr Varget
Berger 108 Elite hunter
CCI 450
.060" Jump
2750 fps averaging 5-8 SD for 10 shots
View attachment 867729
I think you need to do more load development…

🤡
Good lord that’s some ridiculous accuracy

LP Fuzion SA
Foundation Centurion
26" Hawk Hill 1.250" Straight 1:7.5" Twist
6 BRA chambered by Garret Preece
ZCO 5-27View attachment 867726
Lapua brass
30gr Varget
Berger 108 Elite hunter
CCI 450
.060" Jump
2750 fps averaging 5-8 SD for 10 shots
View attachment 867729
Was that so hard? Now we have info about the rifle instead of just a pretty picture. Maybe it would help somebody else who is looking to build a rifle.

P.S. you forgot the serial number

Back
Top Bottom