What is your "Long Range" Rifle Platform?

dunno what you people are talking about, looks like a perfectly decent group for an AR15
what is wrong with it?

View attachment 888939

or you expect a gas gun to drill through the same hole? does not happen.
First of all, don’t crop out the bottom shot. That’s not a “flier”, lol.

And yeah, it’s a decent group for an AR. Nothing special. That’s the whole point.

That’s a completely fine group for an average precision carbine. But that was handloads and with a Proof barrel. My Shilen with handloads can get closer to 3/4” reliably. And the shilen is cheaper than proof.

And with factory loads, his LPR is shooting 1.25-1.5 with FGMM. That’s no better than what I can get with my cheaper chrome lined Criterion build.

And the POI shifts with bipod load aren’t any better than existing ARs, despite a new upper/handguard design on the LPR promising to be more rigid.

Its results aren’t bad. I’d happily take a rifle like that into combat… but it doesn’t seem to be any better than existing precision carbine options that are cheaper.
Barrel is only one component in a gas gun.
.223 is a difficult caliber to get good precision for.
None of ar15s I have are shooting as good as my 2 top ar10s - 6.5cm and .308.
And .308 is not holding it to 300yds.

LPR hype I do not share. I posted here how LaRue upper connects to handguard - flat flange with 4 bolts, to avoid any flex on a barrel nut. Physics.

Last edited:
First of all, don’t crop out the bottom shot. That’s not a “flier”, lol.

And yeah, it’s a decent group for an AR. Nothing special. That’s the whole point.

Perfection does not exist. You go by 80/20 % rule with random events, otherwise you just drive yourself insane.

I have never seen a unicorn ar15 that would shoot better than that group. My LaRue shoots same. I know that if I swap barrel out- it is not going to improve much.

I know I probably missed why it was supposed to be special, but, ok.

Perfection does not exist. You go by 80/20 % rule with random events, otherwise you just drive yourself insane.

I have never seen a unicorn ar15 that would shoot better than that group. My LaRue shoots same. I know that if I swap barrel out- it is not going to improve much.

I know I probably missed why it was supposed to be special, but, ok.
So far I find it better than my Larue, but I need more time behind it to be sure. Also stretching it further

That’s a completely fine group for an average precision carbine. But that was handloads and with a Proof barrel. My Shilen with handloads can get closer to 3/4” reliably. And the shilen is cheaper than proof.

And with factory loads, his LPR is shooting 1.25-1.5 with FGMM. That’s no better than what I can get with my cheaper chrome lined Criterion build.

And the POI shifts with bipod load aren’t any better than existing ARs, despite a new upper/handguard design on the LPR promising to be more rigid.

Its results aren’t bad. I’d happily take a rifle like that into combat… but it doesn’t seem to be any better than existing precision carbine options that are cheaper.
It makes me glad that I jumped on a couple of those LaRue pre-assembled ultimate upper kits from 5 or 6 years ago for $900.

They are very accurate. Though in all honesty, I've never really tested them with a scope with enough magnification to really test them. They just seem to hit what I point them at . The only real disappointment was the trigger. Lots of creep.

View attachment 889297

Honestly pretty impressed with this. These are factory seconds 77 SMKs over 24.2gr of N140 using Norma pre-primed factory second brass (which is why it’s a 9 round group)

Out of the LPR yesterday. Other rounds were from a different rifle later in the day.
Dunno why you like n140 that much, varget was always more consistent for me.
I bet you can fine tune those reloads to squeeze groups even more.

Dunno why you like n140 that much, varget was always more consistent for me.
I bet you can fine tune those reloads to squeeze groups even more.
I can tell you that any loads I've worked up in the last few years have not been using Varget. I used to use it constantly, but didn't lay up enough stock to carry me through the last 5 years where it has been difficult to get.

So Ive made substitutions. I was only recently able to purchase it again. And at $400+ all in (shipping and haz mat) for an 8# jug it hurts a lot.

Back
Top Bottom