Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I live in a free state and don't need one

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I don't have a license

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters
patio said:
So does that overide the restrictions?

Yeppers. The new law exempts all qualified active and retired law enforcement officers from State and local laws with respect to the carrying of concealed firearms. [smile] These officers are not exempt from Federal law or regulation, which governs the carriage of firearms onto aircraft, Federal buildings, Federal property, and national parks.[thinking] The "national park" think is grey at best, for me at least. [wink]

In addition, State (not local) laws which prohibit the carriage of firearms onto State or local government property and State (not local) laws which allow private entities to prohibit firearms on their private property would still apply to qualified active and retired law enforcement officers.

RJ

For retired officers, this is a biggie:

During prior 12 months met state’s firearms qualifications

In Mass, there isn't anything in place to allow these QUAL's. I suppose that some smaller departments may have worked something out to accomodate their retirees but I haven't heard of any.

JonJ said:
For retired officers, this is a biggie:
Damn skippy.

JonJ said:
In Mass, there isn't anything in place to allow these QUAL's. I suppose that some smaller departments may have worked something out to accomodate their retirees but I haven't heard of any.

The retirees can just qualify when the regular guys do. Shouldn't be that tough.

RJ

Jaxon said:
And I have the LEOSA04 [smile]

RJ

That is awesome. I am glad they allow that now. I could see being a former officer, you don't want to run into anyone from the past unprepared. No matter what state its in.

Jaxon said:
Damn skippy.

The retirees can just qualify when the regular guys do. Shouldn't be that tough.

RJ
Nope, not around here if it's a Municipal Police Training Committee (MPTC) QUAL. Attendees must be active for MPTC in-service training. If a Department has their own in-house QUAL there wouldn't be a problem.

You were an out of state LEO correct? Do you have to go back to your home state once a year to re-QUAL?

JonJ said:
Nope, not around here if it's a Municipal Police Training Committee (MPTC) QUAL. Attendees must be active for MPTC in-service training. If a Department has their own in-house QUAL there wouldn't be a problem.

Yeah, I contacted the MPTC about any plans and they didn't have any. Were kinda pushy about that fact. [thinking]

JonJ said:
You were an out of state LEO correct? Do you have to go back to your home state once a year to re-QUAL?

Yep, in November, over the Thanksgiving week. [smile]

I also spoke to a Caroline Sawyer at EOPS that said "Massachusetts is currently working on regulations that will recognize a state certified program(s) for the purpose of allowing retired police officers to qualify with a weapon and be in compliance with the Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act."

She's suppose to contact me this week for any updates.

RJ

EOPS will have to sign off on any such retired officer training and Ron Glidden/GCAB has had terrible time with past 2 Sec of Public Safety officials on getting their sign-off on anything.

Last Ron told me, don't expect anything in the near future!

We can all hope that the new Sec of PS is a different sort of person, but only time will tell.

I have one of the "old" style permits that's getting renewed in Sept. Class A, Protection Of Life. On the new app. I'll change that to ALP. I also have a NH permit and a C&R.

I return to NJ twice a year to requalify for my NJ Retired Officer's Carry Permit. This course of fire and training is the same as sworn personnel which covers me under HR218. NH has recently passed legislation to cover the qualification up here if I so desire but I like to keep my NJ permit active anyway. To satisfy NJ regs, I need two quals at least three months apart one a year done by a NJ certified firearm's instructor.

It would be so much easier if I could just qualify myself!!

MA / ALP

You have too watch out though sometimes. After I had left the police force I had to renew (at that time it was protection, ALP wasn't out yet) and the cheif in the town I was living in didn't care that I was ex/pd and would only give me a sporting permit. He came out and said take me to court if you want, but it wasn't worth it.

Stupid question, so point me in the right direction...[thinking]

I looked at the Florida site, but can't find any information about obtaining a FL non-resident permit.[hmmm]

Thanks in advance.

RJ

Back
Top Bottom