What we really lost in Vietnam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever the reason, he had a tremendous ego, and did not want to go down in history "as the first president to lose a war." That is why he did not seek re-election (he served less than two years of Kennedy's term, so he theoretically could have been president for a little more than nine years if he had run again).

Sometimes I wish people who harbor many strong feelings about that war, would read Robt. S. MacNamara's memoirs, the Pentagon Papers and the accounts of others like dustoff posted. It wasn't the hippies, it wasn't the media, it was the leadership of our own .gov that sealed the US fate. The hippies, the anti-war media were simply an effect, Lyndon Johnson and his henchmen were the real cause. In many ways MacNamara was a lot like Donald Rumsfeld.

The same sort of thing is happening now. The pres who ran on a platform of ending the wars is taking his sweet ass time so as to not seem weak, meanwhile we burn money, waste resources, and discard American lives to the same end we'd get if we just left tomorrow (or at this point years ago). We didn't lose Afghanistan per se, but winning requires our indefinite presence as a police force which obviously is impossible. Our individual missions are successful, the overall objective is resource limited and can't be held when we leave, now or in 2014. They knew this hundreds of lives ago, and it will remain a reality as hundreds more Americans are killed and thousands maimed.

I didn't lose shit, politicians once again are self serving dickheads.

Godspeed to all of you who served in Vietnam.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

First off, thank you for your service, Skysoldier. I had a platoon sergeant at Fort Stewart that served in Vietnam with the 173rd. He was the hardest SOB I ever served with and I respect the hell out of him, SFC Albert Adams.

Besides our soldiers winning in the field didn't the south fall two full years after the US pulled out? Also, didnt the north admit years after the war that they were about to break due to our bombing of the north. The only reason they held on was because they were winning the war in the US due to how unpopular the war was.

Our soldiers fought not one war but two wars, one on the ground and one at home in the heart and soul. Imagine coming back and not finding refuge but a mental war at home.
My dad has not spoken of it ever to anyone. Now we need to show our boys coming back from the sands that we care and help them become great leaders and mentors. Show support and gratitude to our troops any time you get a chance.

I have to say the outpouring of support, and the vast amount of aid programs for returning veterans is absolutely overwhelming. It is so unfortunate that these support systems weren't in place for Vietnam veterans, but the lesson this country seemed to learn from how horribly they treated you, I think has already contributed to thousands lives saved, and I would expect will have a lasting effect for the future of this country and the conflicts we get involved in.

Mike

Skysoldier, once again I thank you for your post. I admire your ability to express yourself, even when emotionally charged. I can't do that. I get so cranked up over this topic that I bind up. So, rather than chime in and add to the outrage you so well expressed, I instead send you my respect for putting those thoughts out there for me. Thank you.

Skysoldier, once again I thank you for your post. I admire your ability to express yourself, even when emotionally charged. I can't do that. I get so cranked up over this topic that I bind up. So, rather than chime in and add to the outrage you so well expressed, I instead send you my respect for putting those thoughts out there for me. Thank you.

Thanks Windwalker......sometimes I get a lot of shit from members here when I talk about Vietnam.....but F them!

I know some of the younger generations don't want to hear a rehash of this subject.......but I am going to throw it in their face everytime I get reminded of their stupidity.....f'em if they can't handle the truth!

Last edited:
I don't know how the army is with their history but even the most POG of POG Marines are taught of those who fought valiantly in places such Khe Sanh and Hue city. I know we are big on our history, but I think its important. I hope the Army does the same. Hell, I watched a documentary on Vietnam while in Afghanistan. What you guys did and how you guys fought isn't forgotten.

Mike

Skysoldier thank you for your service. I don't remember too much of what my teachers taught me about Vietnam, but I did some reading on my own.

It is my understanding that after our forces were withdrawn, South Vietnam was holding its own until we cut off their funding.

Skysoldier thank you for your service. I don't remember too much of what my teachers taught me about Vietnam, but I did some reading on my own.

It is my understanding that after our forces were withdrawn, South Vietnam was holding its own until we cut off their funding.

That is totally correct!

We started out with good intentions. Believe me when I say the only people who appreciated what we did over there were the Vietnamese people.

The fact that we deserted them will always be a memory of shame for me.......

That is totally correct!

We started out with good intentions. Believe me when I say the only people who appreciated what we did over there were the Vietnamese people.

The fact that we deserted them will always be a memory of shame for me.......

This is why some soldiers stayed or went back and have been villified for it. [sad2]

There is no way to know what those men have seen/done and we should not be judging them.

Much of this was found out under the POW/MIA searches and debriefs of those that returned.

The US gov should have never put a single US solider in Vietnam. Then we wouldn't have lost any war.

You're correct. That's too muh fire power. They should have just let the Third Marine Division do a walking assault from one end of the country to the other without interference and the damn thing would have been done in a couple of months.

We lost the war on Vietnam before the first shot was fired. Our lack of cultural understanding ( that continues to this day) sealed our fate.

I just found this thread tonight and reading the OP took it that the person he spoke with implied (maybe unitentionally) that because in some people's opinion the Vietnam War was lost by the US and therefor our military personnel's performance was somewhat in question or they should feel "bad" for serving. If that's the case that person is dead wrong, if I missed the point my bad, sorry.

I am far from an expert on history, never served in the military, but have had the pleasure to know, work with or care for many of our veterans. After listening to thier accounts of what they endured throughout thier time of service, many in WW2, Vietnam, Korean, Afghanistan, Iraq and others. I came to realize that our military personnel have never lost a battle never mind a war.

Those that sent our military to combat an enemy or protect our country may have not achieved the overall goal of that action. But in my opinion that is not the fault of our military serving on the ground, in the air and sea.

In my opinion not one of the men and women that donned a uniform, put boots on the ground and had the intestinal fortitude to enter battle with the enemy and protect the innocent, especially those that gave the ultimate sacrafice and lost thier lives won the respect of this nation and the admiration of every other country and military on the globe.

Intentions, tactics, strategy, ideology, correctness may all be debated, questioned and judged to have won, failed or lost. But the individual soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen that were given a directive, stepped up, commited to thier individual role and actually had the courage and backbone to go out and face things most of us can not even imagine, just by the fact that they had the balls and went, succeeded in my opinion. They succeeded in commiting to a duty, an achieved success by carrying out that duty. That duty was to serve to the best of thier ability. We can not ask nor expect any more of them. Our servicemen and women in my opinion are the finest in the world.

Our politicians on the other hand............not so much!!!!

train_wreck.jpg

Stay classy........[rolleyes]

I don't know how the army is with their history but even the most POG of POG Marines are taught of those who fought valiantly in places such Khe Sanh and Hue city. I know we are big on our history, but I think its important. I hope the Army does the same.

The Army's units are hit and miss with this; History is usually extremely important to Combat units; 10th Mtn traces itself back to WW2 and is serious about it's history. My old battalion, 4/31IN, is the last battalion on the 31st infantry. We hold the Shanghai Bowl from our time in China, Ruck in remembrance of the Bataan Death March, Memorize the battle of the Cho-san, and meet with our Vietnam fore-runners.

I wish the army did a better job in this department. The struggles of those who came before us, are the measurement of what we should become... and is doubly true of Vietnam. Thank you, Skysoldier, and all of the vets that came before me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom