• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's in your SHTF bag?

2 6" OLAES bandages
2 CAT tourniquets
2 packs of coagulant granules (outdated tech, I know, but I have them and they're not expired)
2 doses of Narcan
1 CPR mask
1 pair trauma shears
1 foil blanket
6 pairs nitrile gloves
1 pair leather gloves
1 pair safety glasses
1 N95 mask
All tucked into a $7 Walmart tool bag
My idea of SHTF may vary from yours

View attachment 322381

View attachment 322382

Ditch the narcan and cpr mask. Why the hell would you be reviving an opiate overdose? And CPR mask? If they need CPR and it’s a “SHTF” situation, they’re dead, move on to the next one who may have a real chance at survival.

Ditch the narcan and cpr mask. Why the hell would you be reviving an opiate overdose? And CPR mask? If they need CPR and it’s a “SHTF” situation, they’re dead, move on to the next one who may have a real chance at survival.
Not gonna make any friends that way in TEOTWAWKI...
~Namaste

Last edited:
Yes.....I've always wanted to have to deal wth some shitbag heroin addict overdosing while the shit actually hit the fan.....

/sarcasm

An overdosed kid's Shit-Is-Hitting-The-Fan.
Having NARCAN isn't for a world-ending meteor strike, it's for a kid who made a stupid mistake, and because of you he can come back from it... and maybe cure cancer, or father a family.
EDC4SHTF

Using heroin isn’t a mistake. Poor life choice, or even worse coping mechanism, yes. Mistake, no.

While a vast majority of over doses are accidental, it has more to do with purity of the opiate, and the user not being able to tell if it’s been stepped on or if it’s straight fentanyl.

If you’re carrying Narcan, you better know how to properly use it. And I mean more than actual delivery. When and why to use, patient management after administration and onset of the medication. Plus how to handle the unintended and untoward side effects.

Ditch the narcan and cpr mask.

If you’re carrying Narcan, you better know how to properly use it. ... untoward side effects.

I do, and have. And I've needed and used a CPR mask a few times for people who weren't ODing, though I switch to a BVM as soon as one is available. But they can be a bit tough to run well solo.

One could easily take the position of not carrying bleeding control equipment either, because anyone who accidentally shoots themself deserves to bleed out. But that would be a silly position. And what if I accidentally shoot someone, or someone else at the range accidentally shoots someone, or me? It's hard to know what emergency you're going to have, or who is going to need a hand.

I have relevant formal training, and practical experience.

Is this a kit you carry around every day, like a trunk kit? Or this is in your actual bug out bag?

It lives under the back seat of my personal truck, next to a fire extinguisher and a tub of hand wipes. I'm not planning on societal collapse, just handling the first 15 minutes or so an occasional surprise thrown in my lap.

When I've been sent into an area where things have really gone sideways, I generally get a few hours notice to pack.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom