What's with all this Generation crap?

As I'm not a glock person. What's up with the different generations? I keep hearing that someone has all these generation Glocks.

I was wondering what that meant? I mean, I'm guessing that it has something to do when it was made. But what are the differences?

C-pher,

It means engineering design changes and thus also translates into some sort of time-frame in which each generation was built.

Glock isn't unique. My S&W 39-2 is a 2nd generation gun, S&W since then seems to add a number so that 6xx is 3rd generation 6xxx is 4th generation . . . they will need to only make long-barreled guns when they get up past the 10th generation! :?

C-pher it's really funny that you brought this up. It was just last week that I was pondering the same question and I found a great picture that explains it. It's actually really easy to determine what generation a Glock is- see:

glockgens.jpg

Dang, and I thought the current generation of glocks were ugly!!

Man I wonder if the first generation had trouble getting it's mother to kiss it goodnight! 8)

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

djsmiles said:
unfortunetely, here in MA we can't own a gen 3 glock. unlees you're a leo.
Or you bring one into the state when you move here, or you know an FFL holder who transfers no more than 4 guns in a calendar year who is not also a MA license to sell firearms holder (ie, a "purveyor of firearms" under Ch 180 and the AGs regs) and lets you buy one of the four; or you have someone out of state leave one to you in their will.

Cool! Now I know My G26 is 2nd generation.Good to know for when I sell it :)

Actually,looking at my Glock,I see that it has a a small fingergroove,does that make it a 3rd gen ? I had a Hogue on it and just took it off to check.

Or do all micro Glocks have a groove ?

Now I'm confused.It is a G26 though :p

Mine looks like the G27 in the below pic:

g26-27.jpg

I picked up a 3rd generation 19 at Four Seasons a few months ago. It's a Factory Refurb. Carl explained that 3rd generation Glocks are rare but they do exist in MA (for a premium of course). Seems like they were introduced shortly before the cutoff date.

Bugie

SiameseRat said:
C-pher it's really funny that you brought this up. It was just last week that I was pondering the same question and I found a great picture that explains it. It's actually really easy to determine what generation a Glock is- see:

glockgens.jpg
Can somebody please re-post this picture? It was a great help...

because you know those finger grooves are clearly dangerous and could go out on their own and rape and murder someone all by themselves..
WE MUST STAND UNITED AGAINST THESE EVIL BABY EATING FINGER GROOVES!!!! [roll]
the laws governing this approved roster are absolutely ridiculous. all i can say is WHY? Massachusetts doesnt approve of goods weapons retention?

Actully isn't the issue that Mass doesn't want ANY Glocks in the state?

Mostly because they're one of thems evil black guns capable of mind control and "just going off"

[roll]

-Weer'd Beard

Moderator said:
Here ya go,

framegens.jpg
Thanks a bunch! :D

So, which of the Glock nuts can tell me the differences between the 2nd and 3rd gen G17s, besides the grips? Both have the accessory rail, right?

number9 said:

So, which of the Glock nuts can tell me the differences between the 2nd and 3rd gen G17s, besides the grips? Both have the accessory rail, right?

I am not a Glock guy, but I dont see an accessory rail on the 2nd gen.

Moderator said:
number9 said:

I am not a Glock guy, but I dont see an accessory rail on the 2nd gen.
You're right, I guess I didn't look hard enough! I can see the steel "strip" on both the 2nd and 3rd gen (goes in the same direction as the barrel), but the 3rd-gen has the additional "notch" underneath the barrel and also the rails on the lower sides of the barrel.

The front of the trigger guard also looks slightly more curved, that might just be the photo playing tricks on me though.

SnakeEye said:
dwarven1 said:
SnakeEye said:
Massachusetts doesnt approve of goods weapons retention?

Marxachusetts would prefer that only the police retain weapons.
if its weapons theyre concerned with, they should take away everyones cars first :p

The politicians aren't worried about assassins using cars.

Besides, it's not about guns, it's about CONTROL.

Back
Top Bottom