• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's your favorite "Go To" firearm for fun at the range?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Everyone has different tastes in firearms so interested to hear what is your "Go To" favorite gun to hit the range with? The one that you take the most?

For me it would be one of my vintage S&Ws. Sure there are newer more modern guns out there to take, but they give me the greatest joy when blasting away at steel plates.

A few rounds thru the 1911, a few rounds thru a K frame, a lot of rounds thru the SHTF guns for proficiency, but I have always thought good shooting at long distances with tight grouping with your favorite 22 pistol was fun, it doesn't bang the daylights out of your hands, ears, or wallet.

I have a handful that get worked into the rotation but I almost always have the same base of 2 rifles and 2 pistols, plus whatever else I am in the wood for. My first (and best) AR15 quality build and a Tavor X95. For pistols there is almost always a Glock 17 (RDS) or 19 (open sights) and my Colt 1911. I then suppliment with additional rifles or pistols based on mood or the people I will be shooting with.

.22 of all sorts with good company. The more new-to-shooting the better. Think back yard range with people that don't have to opportunity to shoot often. Then BBQ, drink and good times. This might be less often than "Go To", but it is my favorite.

When I was younger, and if with other likeminded friends, whatever anyone brought to share. Think of an NES meetup on a small scale.

Nothing beats sharing shooting skills, whether a magazine of your friends latest NFA or learning with .22s.

Neither of these scenarios happen often enough these days.

ETA: This is why I have so many different types of operating actions for .22 revolvers, pistols and rifles.

As times and situations change my go to fun range guns have changed.

Back when 7.62x54r was cheep and plentiful the m38 carbine Mosin always made the trip. The report is so brutally loud and the muzzle blast so ridiculous it always turned heads on the out door range. Now that I'm down to 2 spam cans and no cheep replacements in site that one stays home.

Now....the blackhawk 357 always comes along. I can hit an 8 inch steel plate at 100 yards 6 for 6 with my reloads so it's fun to shoot that standing down the 100 yard line pinging away......and others are using rifles next to me and struggling to hit their plates 😂

I can be an a**h***

My Sig P322 and Glock 17 come with me on just about every range trip, regardless of who I’m bringing. They’re both fun and easy to shoot.

tavor 223 with eotech, ak, m1 carbine, fal 308, plain stock colt 1911 45 acp, browning hi power

Last edited:
Stupid fun. Right outta the box. Everyone loves it. Boys and girls, young an old.

184505.jpg

The hebry steel carbine 357 is always a fan favorite for us.
This....Marlin .357 lever or Rossi 44 mag lever, BL-22 lever........Levers are just fun. Until you get to 45-70 unless you download them, which I do....still, I don't shoot it alot.

I bring the Tisas 1911's a lot as well usually the 9mm.....its like shooting a .22 in recoil.

Take the G17 Gen 5 out just to keep fresh as well

As I get older.....high powered stuff just isn't where I want to spend my time. Open sights, light recoiling guns and plinking.

For fun handgun wise it’s my 9mm 2011, shoots fast and flat, almost 0 felt recoil. Love my Rossi .22 for rifle plinking.

Alway bring my Glock 17 which is my edc and my main AR and put a couple mags minimum through each.

My favorite is an old Ruger Mark II Government Target model. It was one of the first handguns I ever bought. I like ringing the 100 yard steel on the rifle range with it. I absolutely abhor cleaning it though. It's usually disgusting, but still functions flawlessly.

I also cannot recommend one of these highly enough. You can load a mag in seconds with it.

My CMP service-grade M1 Garand: 5-mil Springfield Armory with post-war barrel, accurized to the most possible and still JCG-match legal. 2 MOA with hand-loaded ammo!

My guccifed Glock 19, a Sig 220 Scorpion, an SBR CZ Scorpion and my AR10 are my mainstays at the range. Shooting from 25 to 300 yards.

The AR, Tavor and other pistols don’t get as much range time, but I take them out once in a while. I will however be spending more time this summer with my S&W TRR8 .357.

Still waiting on my HK SL8 > G36 conversion. That will probably become a favorite once it’s back in my safe.

No favorite per se but a Mark IV with an el cheapo UTG RDS was fun last week. I need to find a good rifle range closer to home. Not enough opportunity to .556 in my life.

Back
Top Bottom