• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

When is a firearm no longer a firearm in Ma?

Tried a search but couldn't come up with anything.

Here's the situation: A friend of mine recently relieved a family of some firearms - old, questionable functioning firearms, from the family's father. From what I gather, they are old, rusted, bolt action .22's that probably wouldn't function without some serious repair anyway.

Currently, these guns are registered to my friend. The family keeps asking if its possible for them to get at least one back to put in a display case as a keepsake/memory of their father, but he couldn't give them an honest answer. He posed the question to me, and I have no idea. No member of the family has any interest in obtaining an FID/LTC.

Is it possible, in Ma, to somehow render the firearm useless, ie - plug the barrel, remove the firing pin, hell, even spot weld the bolt shut, simply to put it in a case and hang on the wall of a home without a license holder? That is, when is a registered firearm no longer considered a firearm in the eyes of Ma legislature?

Thanks in advance.

Giving them a firearm, even locked, to hang on the wall would probably not pass the sniff test if a PD ever had cause to knock on the door.

It would cease to be a firearm when it is no longer capable of "discharging a shot or bullet" (M.G.L. c.140 s.121).

But in this situation, it doesn't have to be permanently disabled, only "...secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user." (M.G.L. c.140 s.131L)

A trigger or cable lock would suffice, but wouldn't be aesthetically pleasing. You could use something like this chamber lock...

http://www.omegagunlock.com/index.html

...and as long as your friend retains the "key", he (and the homeowners) will be in compliance with the law.

Not true. Even plugging the barrel isn't good enough. ATF has a demilling standard and that would have to be followed. Yeah, I know this is MA but there is case law that just disassembling a gun isn't enough. To the OP, get them to get the firearms course and licenses. Also, tell him that if they make a stink about this, he has to know the law on transfers. He can't transfer on his own via FA10s these guns to himself. So they are still their property. If he filed FA10s on them, he did so against the limits of the law. If they make a stink, you can not transfer the guns to them to get them to back. Make it clear you will return all three once they are properly licensed. Everything you do should be geared towards getting them licensed.

Yeah, you're right (I shouldn't post that early in the morning [laugh]). I have withdrawn my comments.

Not true. Even plugging the barrel isn't good enough. ATF has a demilling standard and that would have to be followed. Yeah, I know this is MA but there is case law that just disassembling a gun isn't enough. To the OP, get them to get the firearms course and licenses. Also, tell him that if they make a stink about this, he has to know the law on transfers. He can't transfer on his own via FA10s these guns to himself. So they are still their property. If he filed FA10s on them, he did so against the limits of the law. If they make a stink, you can not transfer the guns to them to get them to back. Make it clear you will return all three once they are properly licensed. Everything you do should be geared towards getting them licensed.

The father legally transferred them to my buddy before his passing. I don't know that the guns mean enough to the family for them to obtain their licenses, so my buddy will probably end up holding on to them. It just would have been nice if he could have disabled the firearm and given it to them to display.

I have a friend who wanted to display some firearms on the walls in his basement. They were older, rusty, and not of any realy value. He thouhgt the would just look cool. So, he did some research, and placed some calls. I don't remember who he spoke with, but in the end, he was told that as long as the firearms are made completely inoperable, than it was perfectly legal. He did this buy removing the fireing pin, welding the hole for the fireing pin closed, welding the actions closed, and filling the barrels with a few inches of concrete. He does have his LTC so I don't know how that factors in.

The father legally transferred them to my buddy before his passing. I don't know that the guns mean enough to the family for them to obtain their licenses, so my buddy will probably end up holding on to them. It just would have been nice if he could have disabled the firearm and given it to them to display.

Then outside of the demilling, most of my post doesn't apply. I was assuming the transfers were post mortem.

Not sure if it's still the case, but the revolutionary-era flintlocks that were hanging in the State House had trigger locks....

That should tell the story!

"Had" being the operative term. While those guns may still have the locks, they are no longer required by law, being antiques.

"Had" being the operative term. While those guns may still have the locks, they are no longer required by law, being antiques.

Scriv, when is a gun considered "antique"? Does it have to be on the C&R list to be considered such in terms of a "modern" firearm like these bolt action 22LRs? Also, do you have any input on whether or not it is possible to disable a firearm permanently in MA so it is legal for a non-license holding citizen to possess it?

Scriv, when is a gun considered "antique"? Does it have to be on the C&R list to be considered such in terms of a "modern" firearm like these bolt action 22LRs? Also, do you have any input on whether or not it is possible to disable a firearm permanently in MA so it is legal for a non-license holding citizen to possess it?

Manufactured in or before 1898, or a replica thereof.

Only replicas that don't use cartridge ammunition, or cartridge ammo that's not readily available, etc.
So basically cap&ball, flintlock, or cannon replicas :)

In this state it would still be considered a weapon even if you melted it down and made Quarters out of it.. Oh yea! be careful, people can take the dismantled weapon off the wall and choke to death.. Its still that dangerous!

In this state it would still be considered a weapon even if you melted it down and made Quarters out of it.. Oh yea! be careful, people can take the dismantled weapon off the wall and choke to death.. Its still that dangerous!

Put down the Red Bull and step away from the keyboard.

Isn't there an X-box somewhere you could occupy your time with?

My point in posting this bit was to illuminate attitude, as opposed to what's actualy required....

Of course, for PRM inhabitants, that's probably not required, now is it? [sad]

Back
Top Bottom