Where Do Diminishing Returns Kick in on a Scope?

I'm looking to pick up a high power scope for my .338 Lapua. I'm not the greatest shot in the world to begin with, so I don't think I will benefit from a top-of-the-line Nightforce. But I also don't want a cheap Chinese knockoff.

Any recommendations for an average scope for an average shooter? Thanks.

It seems to me that if you're going to shell out for a .338 Lapua rifle, let alone the ammo, that a really good scope ought to be part of the whole.

There are ways to save money on a scope and still get an excellent one. Hunt for a used one or check out http://www.samplelist.com. Leupold is probably a safe bet if you don't want to shell out for one of the really high end scopes.

Bushnell Elite 4200 seems about right. Not too expensive, but a quality product. They have about a dozen models.

I like the Bushnell Elite scopes as well - they seem really robust for the money. Also, Leupold offers so many models now, that getting into quality glass at a good price is absolutely possible. Leupold is running into the VX-4 models now, but wisely chose to keep many, (if not all) of their models in the VX-1 - VX-3 line. These were their top of the line and the pricing on these models makes them hard to beat. As others have said - why invest in a .338 Lapua and not invest in a good scope for it?

Not trying to cheap out, but a $1400 Nightforce doesn't look like it will do anything for me that a $400 Bushnell will not.

I think the Bushnell 4200 series is the way to go after reading some glowing reviews. Thanks for the input everyone.

Bushnell elite, Nikon, Leupold, Weaver Grand Slam series are worth looking at and as PaulD suggested check out samplelist. Also you might want to read the forums on SWFA.

I just purchased a Leupold VX-II at Optics Planet for my 308 G3 build. Less than three hundred. I bought a Burris mount for it but am not happy with it. It is too high. I just ordered a weaver mount. I should have it this week and let you know. Oh and its a 2-7x 33mm.

Last edited:
Avoid Leopould like the plauge, I spent the last 6 months getting them to repair a brand new, didn't work out the box scope, that after 3 tries they finally admitted needed to be replaced. Customer service reps were rude, every rep had a different story, and wouldn't return calls when they said they would.

I couldn't belive there was any worse customer service then SIG, Leopould is.

Back
Top Bottom