Where in NH would be a good place to stock up?

bfm

NES Member
Even if the difference is just sales tax, if I wanted to stock up with say $1k worth of ammo, who in NH is a reasonable drive from Boston, has good prices and good selection?

Good question - I would be interested to know this too.

When are you guy's in NH going to get on the stick and get Cabela's in there?

Good question - I would be interested to know this too.

When are you guy's in NH going to get on the stick and get Cabela's in there?

Why would we want a Cabela's? Overpriced stuff? Nawh things. I like Riley's in Hookset for price/selection (for reloading stuff).

I buy online for ammo.

I have been up to Riley's once. I honestly didn't see anything that struck me as a great bargain. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough or I hit them at an off time.

Cabela's in there

Calbela's has withdrawn there plans to move in NH and several other areas due to the economic condition. We won't see them for many years.

If you are going to buy in bulk at Riley's you have to talk to the owner. His warehouse in the rear is stocked to the ceiling and he will negotiate if the deal is reasonable.

I can't find target ammo any less than WWB at Wal-Mart. It's 26.88 for 100rd box. I haven't seen 1000 rounds online for much less than $268.80 and once you add shipping it's a wash.

There are a number of online places that will ship ammo to NH - one of them for instance has a 1000 count box of .40 for as low as $215.00 (shipping not included).

I think if you look around you should be able to do better than WWB - but you will have to look - not all the online places have great prices.

I can't find target ammo any less than WWB at Wal-Mart. It's 26.88 for 100rd box. I haven't seen 1000 rounds online for much less than $268.80 and once you add shipping it's a wash.

What target ammo are you looking to buy? I know the walmart in NH not to far from me usually has decent prices.

Just be aware that one of our students from MA tried to purchase handgun ammo in Walmart in NH and was denied. I believe they require a LTC for purchase. Might want to check before making a long trip.

Just be aware that one of our students from MA tried to purchase handgun ammo in Walmart in NH and was denied. I believe they require a LTC for purchase. Might want to check before making a long trip.

The ones closer to the border do. When I was a MA resident I went there to stock up. I had the guy take out like 40 boxes of ammo for me. Then he asked for my drivers license which I gave him. He stated he would need to see my MA LTC. I said my MA-LTC isn't valid in this state and showed him my NH NR permit. He said that wasn't good enough. I took out my MA LTC and held it so he could see it at a distance. He said he needed to hold it. I repeated that it wasn't valid in this state and put it back in my wallet. He refused to make the sale. I let him put the boxes back.

EATF: I've never had problems with any Walmart except the Salem one as a MA resident and had purchased from Derry, Manchester, and Lebanon successfully.

Last edited:

I'm suprised. I've never been asked for ID at Wal-Mart, or any other dealer, while buying ammo.

The only question I get is, "Is this for a rifle or handgun?" Being the smart-aleck that I am, I usually respond, "Sub-machine gun."

If your buying ammo at walmart in NH or any walmart they always ask for an FID or LTC. I don't think i have ever been to a place where they haven't asked to see at least an FID when buying ammo.

Every Walmart I've been to in NH has asked to make sure I had a NH license. I inquired about it and was told if you're from MA you need a LTC to purchase. Since I'm from NH I wasn't going to argue the point.

I have bought ammo a number of times at NH Walmarts and the asking for ID has been hit or miss. I just bought some over the weekend and the person on the counter asked. The last few times I bought they didn't ask. I have heard it sometimes has something to do with how close to the MA border the stores are too.

It is Walmart policy to require a LTC for out of state customers(or at least MA) residents. NH residents only need show a form of id, usually a DL. When the ammo is scanned, the register is programmed to instruct the clerk to ask for the id. Most usually do but I've only purchased ammo in one Walmart.

Buying ammo at Walmart NH

I've been buying my 9mm ammo at Walmart in Hudson, NH for over a year. Even though I've had different people wait on me, all have asked to see my LTC.

I show them my MA LTC and it's never been a problem. I haven't bought ammo for several monmths now. So, I'm not sure if perhaps something has changed up there and it's different now.

Walmart in Hooksett has never asked to see my ID.

Right now Rileys in Hooksett has 9mm blazer aluminum for $9.95/box, .45 blazer aluminum for $11.95/box and .45 blazer brass for $13.95/box. This is per box and you don't have to buy a case to get the price.

I've been buying LOTS of ammo at the Wal-Marts in Amherst, Bedford, and Manch-Vegas (the one across from the Mall of NH) for the last 7 years, and have never been asked to show any ID. Not once. Of course, I'm over 40, so the handgun/rifle thing is moot, so maybe that's why.

Back
Top Bottom