Where to legally shoot in MA (without hunting license, or club membership)

StevieP

NES Member
Hi,

I got my LTC Class A last year, and finally got spousal approval to buy a shotgun. I purchased a gently used Remington 870 Express Combo. I'm trying to get into the basic hunter education class, but they're all full through June. So no hunting. Gun club memberships cost another hundred+ dollars a year.

This hobby is getting expensive, and it hasn't even started yet!

Anyway - other than pulling a 'Bubba' move & driving around shooting at STOP signs, are there public ranges, or other remote areas where it is legal for an individual to shoot at fixed or (clay pigeon) targets?

Welcome StevieP - I know of 2 public indoor ranges - Manchester Firing Line (in Manchester, NH) and American Firearms School (N. Attleboro, MA). Both allow shotguns, but only slugs I believe. Obviously you can only shoot at paper targets. I don't know about public outdoor trap, but I'm sure others in this forum can answer your question better.

You want to play, you gotta pay.

Some clubs do not cost that much. Plus, if you put in work hours, it reduces your annual dues considerably. I know of two or three that are around 50 bucks a year, open year round and offer pistol, rifle, shotgun and archer ranges.

Do some research on some inexpensive clubs around your area or find some sandpits people talk about in NH/ME. You're not going to find free areas around here. There's a few threads about this.

Many gun clubs that offer trap or skeet will let the public shoot trap or skeet for a small fee.

Gun clubs are not very expensive all things considered (particularly when compared to the few public ranges in MA). Save up and join.

you can use 00 buckshot at American Firearms School (or at least you could last time i was there which was last summer). Southborough Rod and Gun trap and skeet is open to the public i believe it's under 4 bucks a round and they have ammo for sale so all you have to bring really is your shotgun and some cash. Thursdays start up this week and sundays throughout the year. http://srgclub.com/

Stevie,

First, if you let us know where you're located, that will help.

Second, try, http://www.northeastranges.com/ for info.

Third, since you're a Mass gun owner, you're obviously a GOAL mamber, (if not......JOIN! the reasons are legion! ) and in the back of the Outdoor Message, there's a lisitng of many of the mass gun clubs that are open to the public for skeet and trap.

It's kind of general policy to allow "guests" to come unaccompanied and shoot. ONe word of advice though: PLEASE tell the range crew when you arrive that you're new to the game - you'll not get your b@@ls busted, but WILL get good info and help (each club has its quirks, and asking first is better all around than a polite "talking too" over some odd bit of club-specific etiquette. ) Last Summer my kids and I did a bit of visiting, and even though I'm pretty familliar with the game, the little differences are surprising!

You'll find Trap and Skeet shooters happy to help sucker another poor fool into their addiction.....err.....I mean, introduce another shooter to their sport! [smile]

Have fun!

ONe word of advice though: PLEASE tell the range crew when you arrive that you're new to the game - you'll not get your b@@ls busted, but WILL get good info and help (each club has its quirks, and asking first is better all around than a polite "talking too" over some odd bit of club-specific etiquette. ) Last Summer my kids and I did a bit of visiting, and even though I'm pretty familliar with the game, the little differences are surprising!
Very good advice.

Anyway - other than pulling a 'Bubba' move & driving around shooting at STOP signs...

Welcome, but please tell me that was a joke. New shooters are great for the sport, but not those who are unsafe or who do things that give nonshooters more reason to complain about our sport or our 2nd Amendment rights.

Great advice above, starting with GOING GREEN.

Of course that was a joke (shooting stopsigns). The whole purpose of this thread is to NOT do something illegal &/or stupid with a firearm.

I did join NRA and GOAL last year, as soon as I got my LTC.

I've shot pistols at an indoor range in TX, and 22's when I was a kid. Never hunted (anything) but would like to try ducks, turkey, and maybe deer, hence my selection of a shotgun as my first gun of any kind.

I have a couple friends & co-workers who shoot, but they're all over an hour away. I live in Central MA (south of Worcester).

Thanks everyone for the advice. There is a club/range in my town. I should just buck up & join but was trying to find out if there's a place to just go where I can even TRY this thing out!

Just a heads up not sure how close you live to NH, But you can take the NH online course for 15 dollars. Once you pass the test you then select a field day which is a full day usually Sunday. I think that was another 20 dollars. At the end of the day you get your Hunter safety card and you are good to go and get a Hunting lic. in MA. if you do choose to take this route they make you re-test at the begging of the all day course but the test was easy.

Riverside in Hudson (on Rt 62) is open to the public for shotgun on Tuesday and Thursday nights starting at 7pm and on Sunday Morning starting about 9am. Skeet, Trap, 5-stand, and on occasion Sporting Clays are running.

More info HERE.

I'm not up on the latest prices, but each round is somewhere in the neighborhood of $10-$15 for ammo and targets. (We require the use of non-toxic ammo and biodegradable targets which we buy in truckloads, so the costs are reasonable.)

Woodsman Rifle and Pistol Club in Athol is very inexpensive: $45 annual dues plus $3 per visit.

Cape Ann Sportsman's Club has public shooting for $15 on Sunday mornings.

Back
Top Bottom