Where to put a topic? Pictures of the J Stevens....

Ok, so I have a question, as I don't konw where to post it when I do.

I just came across a new to me pistol. But it's very old.

It's a J Stevens single shot .22 target pistol. It's in really good shape I think for the age. The inside of the barrel needs to be cleaned, and some of the nickel plating is rubbed off in spots. I wouldn't give it a super high grade, maybe 70% or so... But like I said, for the age, it's really good.

But I was going to take some pictures, and see if anyone around here knows much about it. Or if they have any idea on values.

I've seem some online and what they are looking for them. But it seems crazy that this would be going for that much. And, the ones I see online are in A LOT better shape and have different so I don't know for sure if it's the same one.

So, I was wondering, do I post it in the Equipment thread? The General Thread?

Or do you think that there is enough interest in a "What in the hell is it" thread?

Here are the pictures of the pistol.

Collectables004.jpg

Collectables005.jpg

Collectables007.jpg

Collectables008.jpg

C-pher,

Anything related to firearms, ammo and equipment should go into the Equip/Ammo forum so I'm going to move this thread there.

As to the gun, I don't know anything about that particular one. Someone probably has a blue book, though.

This points out that we need a C&R Forum. That would be the proper place (if we had it) for that sort of discussion.

Otherwise, as we are now, Tony is right . . . Equipment and Ammo is the best current location.

Collectibles are a world unto themselves. Some go for a fortune, other for a pittance. Supply, demand, uniqueness, historical interest, etc. all play into the value of these guns.

OK, thanks for the move.

I just didn't know...

And Len, that I know. That's why I was going to post some pictures and see if anyone might have an idea.

From what I was told, it was found in a box that a friend got in an estate sale from an attic. He's into antiques and coins and the like. So when he can get lots from estate sales for cheap, he gets them.

Anyway, I'll post pictures and I'll get with you Pilgrim and we can go from there.

TonyD said:
C-pher - Let us know about the history. Like I said, I'm not familiar with that and inquiring minds...well, you know. [wink]

Well, going on what I know now without a lot of research...

I know that it was in the attic of some old lady's house.

I do know that the barrel is stamped with "J Stevens A&T Chicopee Falls, MA Something or Other" I don't really remember what.

I do know that the Arms & Tool portion of the name was used only between 1886 to 1915. So I do know that it has to be made sometime between those dates.

That's the quick of it.

Now I just have to find out more...

I don't know where I would be able to do a serial lookup. But I wonder if there's any books in the Library. I do know that J. Stevens became a division of Savage Arms in 1920, so I might be able to contact them. But that's a wonder...I might just have to do that to see what they know.

C-pher, send me a private Email with a Fax number and I'll send you a page from "The Complete Encyclopedia of Antique Firearms' which has a full description of your gun.

Short form:
- Stevens Single-Shot Diamond No. 43 1886
- .22LR or .25 Stevens RF
- The Diamond 1st Issue had a brass frame.
- The Diamond 2nd model had a steel frame.
- A total of 95,000 Diamonds were produced 1886-1916

Belay that, let me see if I can scan it directly in (color) to my copier and forward to you as an Email attachment.

If that doesn't work, we'll go to "plan B".

C-pher,

Check your Email. It was sent a couple of hours ago (.tif file).

Good luck finding the book. I bought ~20 of them when I found them a few years ago and re-sold them on the C&R FFL eList and gave one away (Secret Santa gift). After they were all gone (except my copy) a few more people wanted them, but the supplier was totally out of them. I've never seen it anywhere else, but Amazon lists it indirectly.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_1/102-4552392-1103352?v=glance&s=books

Back
Top Bottom