• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which CZ?

Looking at the 75 series. Do you guys have a preference and why? 75, 75 B, 75BD, or 75B Omega?
Not for competition, just range shooting.

Do you want a rail or not?

Do you care about a firing pin block or not?

Do you prefer DA/SA or SAO?

Do you want a safety or decocker?

I have a P-01 Omega which is big enough to enjoy at the range and small enough to carry comfortably. The stock trigger is fine but the CGW really did crisp things up.
I like the DA/SA for carry. Uses compact and standard 75 mags.
If you were just playing around at the range or wanted a house gun then something larger would obviously be nicer.

SP-01 is the big brother. DA/SA with no decocker. Standard 75 mags.
They do offer the “tactical” model with a decocker

Shadow 2 is bigger brother. DA/SA with no decocker. You’re getting into more of a comp gun here with better ergonomics, sights and aesthetics. You can get the optics ready version for a little more $$. Still uses standard 75 mags.

TS2 is bigger yet and no rail. SA only. Competition guns. There are a couple variations named by their “Colors” orange, blue, green, parrot. You can get nice frame attached optics mounts for these. Uses TS mags which are $$ more than the 75s

I like the P-01 for the same reasons. It's a good all around package for a range toy, carry or bedside gun. My only complaints are the stock DA pull and the lower profile slide doesn't have as much surface to grab as most other guns but you get used to it.

Looking at the 75 series. Do you guys have a preference and why? 75, 75 B, 75BD, or 75B Omega?
Not for competition, just range shooting.
Hard pass on the Omega, i would expect it to disappear anyways. It's infinitely harder to sell and shelf rots because "CZ people " don't buy them. The rest of your question is a matter of what you want to do with the gun and that kind of thing more of a preference thing.

I like the P-01 for the same reasons. It's a good all around package for a range toy, carry or bedside gun. My only complaints are the stock DA pull and the lower profile slide doesn't have as much surface to grab as most other guns but you get used to it.
Agreed on the slide manipulation but you get used to it.
Hard pass on the Omega, i would expect it to disappear anyways. It's infinitely harder to sell and shelf rots because "CZ people " don't buy them. The rest of your question is a matter of what you want to do with the gun and that kind of thing more of a preference thing.
Why a hard pass on the Omega?

Agreed on the slide manipulation but you get used to it.

Why a hard pass on the Omega?

I'm not exactly sure why but there's a lot of inherent disdain for that sub-platform. The amount of people who have put the gun back on the counter in disappointment after picking one up and finding out it's an Omega was enough for me to take notice. Those guns sold eventually but they took way longer than the other czs we had floating around at the same time. Right now there are probably lots of them shelf rotting.

It's probably because of stuff like this:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/CZFirearms/comments/bqnu6v/why_i_will_now_never_be_able_to_trust_the_omega/

Or this..

I would not be shocked if eventually the product magically just disappears/discontinued. With the amount of disdain for that product line they're better off not wasting the production capacity and stick to doing things they're good at.

P-01 is a great way to get started in CZs. SP-01 or shadows are great guns but have less utility(kinda tough to carry concealed). That said, I'd recommend SP-01 and Shadow family as second gun every time!

Non-P-01 series of 75's don't come with a light mount and therefore have less utility. If range fun is your primary goal, then I would go with a straight 75: nothing beats the classic!

I'm not exactly sure why but there's a lot of inherent disdain for that sub-platform. The amount of people who have put the gun back on the counter in disappointment after picking one up and finding out it's an Omega was enough for me to take notice. Those guns sold eventually but they took way longer than the other czs we had floating around at the same time. Right now there are probably lots of them shelf rotting.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/CZFirearms/comments/bqnu6v/why_i_will_now_never_be_able_to_trust_the_omega/

Or this..

I would not be shocked if eventually the product magically just disappears/discontinued. With the amount of disdain for that product line they're better off not wasting the production capacity and stick to doing things they're good at.

Interesting. This is the first time I’ve ever heard of that. I have thousands through my Omega with no issues. Aftee doing the trigger kit I can tell you that the decocker isn’t that easy to remove. At least not on mine. Reading those threads makes me believe it’s more of a lemon issue and easily identified. Also that CZ may not be recalling but has replaced some guns for people.

Sounds much better than an Sig or a Kaboom Glock 😂😂

I have a CZ Custom Shadow 2014 - this predates the Shadow 2. It's a dream to shoot, sinks deep into your hand and the slide and trigger move like butter.

Regular CZs are nice, but a gun from the CZ Custom Shop is where it's at.

It actually may make an appearance in the classifieds very soon because it's been a bit of a safe queen since I switched to different competitions where I don't use it anymore.

I bought a CZ-75 PCR on a whim a few years ago and love it. When I carry something other than my Ruger LCP in my pocket, the PCR is on me IWB. A couple of CGW trinkets made it a bit better...Tritium sights, trigger (though the one that came with the gun wasn't at all bad) and a few other things.

Last edited:
I like the shadow 2. There's no doubt it is better out of the box than an SP01 Shadow. But it is a heavier gun and some excellent shooters think it doesn't swing as well as the SP01 and the recoil of soft 9mm ammo is of little need for more weight. Plus the extra weight puts it over limit for IDPA. Somethings to consider.

Or this..

The stock P01 Omega trigger is a good deal better than the stock P01 trigger.

Of course, the pull and bite of the normal P01 trigger can be taken care of with Cajun.

And it is hard for people to get over the decocker issue, regardless of how rare it might be.

Shadow 2 and don't look back.
i got settled on shadow 2 blues - got one cajunized and second 'as is' stock with irons - and love them both.
not sure if going with orange or others would make it a ton different.
compared to a stock 75 - there is a good difference when you try shadows, to go above shadows also has incremental diffs but not as significant, i would say.

just need to get heavier grips for them.

Bypass the Omega. The trigger sucks, even after a Cajun upgrade. Get the 75 Compact, if you want a carry size, so many options. I had both and I kept my 75C, which now have a single action trigger that is awesome. The SP01 is another that is ripe for upgrades.

The stock P01 Omega trigger is a good deal better than the stock P01 trigger.

Of course, the pull and bite of the normal P01 trigger can be taken care of with Cajun.

And it is hard for people to get over the decocker issue, regardless of how rare it might be.
I have three pistols with de-cockers and love all of them. I feel far safer using them then slowly letting the hammer down on my Colt 1911 (yep, I'm one of those ;))

Why would you ever manually lower the hammer on a loaded 1911?
Sometimes I would take my 1911 hiking in my pack. I was always a bit nervous that with the pistol bumping around in my pack, the safety might slide "off" and now I have a pistol in my pack with a hammer back and safety off. I understand that the grip safety comes into play as well but better safe than sorry.

When I carried it OWB (or IWB), it was always just cocked and locked. I don't carry it any longer...too heavy and it really bothers my arthritic back to carry it at all.

Sometimes I would take my 1911 hiking in my pack. I was always a bit nervous that with the pistol bumping around in my pack, the safety might slide "off" and now I have a pistol in my pack with a hammer back and safety off. I understand that the grip safety comes into play as well but better safe than sorry.
A loaded gun bumping around in a pack is a bad idea, whether cocked and locked or decocked. There are packs with holsters in them.

There are packs with holsters in them.
Not in any of my packs. I just slipped the 1911 in an Uncle Mike's holster, put a strap over it, snapped it and called it done. If it went off like that, I had bigger problems. The safety was still exposed but at least the trigger was covered.

Back
Top Bottom