Which red dot mount on my AK47?

Cuz

NES Member
So I have an AK47, and I want to mount a red dot on it. Most likely an Aimpoint PRO. I have the following requirements:

1) I want it mounted forward of the rear sight.
2) I want it to co-witness with the iron sights.

Anyone have any suggestions or experience with this setup? My research tells me there are really only 2 options, the Ultimak or the Troy Industries gas tube replacement rail. I'm not sure the Troy part will allow co-witness, but it appears that the Ultimak will.

Is anyone using an Ultimak? What do you think of it? How does it compare to the Troy part? I'm told heat may be a problem, can anyone offer any experience/advice?

Are there any other options that will allow co-witnessing irons with a red dot that I missed?

Thanks,
Cuz

I've heard a lot of good things about the Ultimak mounts. The guys at Rifle Dynamics claim they're rock solid and hold zero. I use side rail mounts because a gas tube set up to me just seems wrong.

+1 for side mount. if you have side-mount plate - use it
I have always seen Ultimak gas-tube mount as too permanent and unnatural. i like the idea of having to be able to go from red dot to magnified optic in a matter of seconds. also to me it ruins aesthetics of the rifle.

i personally like this setup. with PA or Vortex dots.
cost effective and solid.

have it on two of my rifles.
it gives you 1/3 co-witness and zeroing is a breeze.

XMIAKRD.jpg

Last edited:
I do worry that messing with the gas tube could affect reliability. That would sort of defeat the purpose of having an AK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you get a red low enough to even co witness with the AK sights?
I had a gen 1 kobra from tantal when he was with us. I miss it. I liked the reticle with the chevron with dot above....... honestly I didn't t even notice if it actually witnessed with the sights.
I don't even remember if I could even see the rear sight through the optic ?
I will say there seems to be a lot more good looking mounts now that actually look like they work.
8 years ago there was not to many quality mounts.

Last edited:
i personally like this setup. with PA or Vortex dots.
cost effective and solid.

have it on two of my rifles.
it gives you 1/3 co-witness and zeroing is a breeze.

XMIAKRD.jpg

That does look nice, I may have to consider it. It doesn't look like it co witnesses with the Aimpoint. Thanks.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Ultimak mounts. The guys at Rifle Dynamics claim they're rock solid and hold zero. I use side rail mounts because a gas tube set up to me just seems wrong.

I love my ultimak mount. Has held zero for well over 1000 rounds.

Side mount is the way to go.....it's an Ak.

Ok then, which side mounts allow co-witness of a red dot with the irons?

Or, is it not that important if the mount has a quick release mechanism?

Ok then, which side mounts allow co-witness of a red dot with the irons?

Or, is it not that important if the mount has a quick release mechanism?

Even looking at these pictures it does not look like you would be able to really see the rear sight at all ? The dot might co witness with the front sight post ?
If you where needing your iron sights after your optics failed the quick detach is the way to go and you just dump the failed optics anyway, right. Plus at close range you can do pretty well with front sight only aiming. heck you can almost use the view through the red dot as a "peep" sight. Now see thats not a bad Idea. you should mount your red dot use it like a big peep sight. center up your front sight through the optic and see where your rounds impact at 25-100 yards ?

Unless you are going to install a monolith top rail with irons and a red dot, your best best is an Ultimak railed gas tube with a PA micro for Co witness. It's what I use with no accuracy issues.

Is the side rail the same on all AKs?

That Midwest Industries mount does allow for co-witness with the irons (I own one). Only just barely and with an Aimpoint PRO I had to set the sights to 200 yds but it did work. The Primary Arms clone actually afforded a little better co-witness.

i bought a primary arms micro dot in that group buy we had here in december. it's the "micro dot with removable base." this primary base is the lowest i could get and it gets right down there. if you had an ak top dust cover with integral picatinny rail, it would get you there. this primary arms base is the lowest i could find anywhere. i run it on an arsenal side mount rail but i'm not looking for co-witness of irons. you can search the ak operators union you tube channel for a review of the dust cover i mentioned.

MI mount i suggested is co-witnessing lower one third.
i would attach a pic of it but i can't find it an i'm too lazy to go making anothe and uploading it all over again.
i'm sure there is a pic online already showing how it co-witnesses.

I just checked the rails on a Zastava O-Pap and an Arsenal SAM7 and they look completely different.

I checked Primary Arms and they don't seem to have there own products, they just resell everyone else's. If they make their own clone AK red dot mount can someone please point me to it?

I just checked the rails on a Zastava O-Pap and an Arsenal SAM7 and they look completely different.

There's really just two type of rails .
Ak
Vs
Psl/svd/sks

For the ak there's a few that look little different but it's just the rough outline . The mounting part of it is the same. I think there is one odd ball but re for a 74 nigh rail , but it's not common .
The yugos are little different cause of the rivets .

I wish the chinese ak's i love so much came with a side mount. Till then iron sights it is..

Pop one rivet out of the rear and drill 2 new holes for the other rivets. I forget what the rivet placement is on those you might not need to pop a rivet out.

I would look into the RS regulate mount, very well designed I have been extremely pleased with mine

The rifle is fine.

Why you want red dot for Kalashnikov?

You put cheap red dot of chinese slave factory on top and you still no hit broad side of barn

Back
Top Bottom