Who prints (makes) the LTC Cards: State or Town?

P

Phaedo1982

Just curious... Who prints the cards? Are they consistent across a state level, in terms of format - or does it vary from town to town?

Back in college, I had to get a Restricted FID to carry OC Spray as a park ranger and I got some lame, large pink FID that was lamented and couldn't fit in my wallet.

They are all the same. From what I can recall the police LT telling me, they are printed somewhere with the State Police. Dont qoute me though, I have no proof.

That would explain why it takes so damn long to get one in most places... if the S.P. would would have to print the physical card and then mail it, I can see the delays.

If the checks come back through the computer and the local PD prints it off at their "workstation," then I think the wait times are far too long.

College Public Safety Depts. usually have a workstation set-up where they take a picture of a student and then print an ID. I don't see why (most) local PDs couldn't do the same, to cut out having the state utilize the USPS to send the final IDs back.

I live in MA BTW.

That would explain why it takes so damn long to get one in most places... if the S.P. would would have to print the physical card and then mail it, I can see the delays.
Actually, no. The CHSB does an amazing job of turning an license around very quickly (we're talking days, not weeks) once the issuing PD indicates they have completed the approval process. While I have not discussed operational details with that unit (I'll ask the next time an opportunity presents itself) I expect it's dang near fully automated since all info is electronically entered by the issuing PD. All the staff at CHSB should need to do is pick the LTC up off the printer and dispatch them to the issuing PD.

If you lose an LTC or FID and the department submits the request for a duplicate the day you report it, and they don't sit on it at the PD, you'll have your replacement withing a week. Initial issuance, once the local PD has approved the LTC or FID, is equally swift.

They are all the same.
There may still be a few departments that don't yet have the MIRCS equipment and still use the paper form. The old LTC's were similar to the pink FID you described, but on white paper.

Last edited:
There may still be a few departments that don't yet have the MIRCS equipment and still use the paper form. The old LTC's were similar to the pink FID you described, but on white paper.

There are - my town didn't have a fast enough connection to convert to MIRCS when it came out, and now that we have a good connection, we're having trouble getting a MIRCS setup out of the state. So, we're still issuing the paper LTCs.

There are - my town didn't have a fast enough connection to convert to MIRCS when it came out, and now that we have a good connection, we're having trouble getting a MIRCS setup out of the state. So, we're still issuing the paper LTCs.

Thats because most depts are connected to CJIS (parent agency to MIRCS) through a 56k circuit. One exception I know of is Cambridge PD who I think has a direct T3...

When I called the CHSB, they told me that printing the licenses is only a couple of days before it goes back out.

They said that they get the approval from the local PD and process the card and mail it back to them within a couple of days.

They also said the entire process has been taking roughly 6 weeks for most cities and towns.

And whats fun is your local PD gets to print out the pin page and the other sheet of paper, which means its one more thing the licensing officer has to get off his/her lazy bum to do before you get your card.

When I called the CHSB, they told me that printing the licenses is only a couple of days before it goes back out.

They said that they get the approval from the local PD and process the card and mail it back to them within a couple of days.

They also said the entire process has been taking roughly 6 weeks for most cities and towns.

I just can't see the 6 week wait times in most places. I mean, they can almost crawl up your ass with a microscope during a routine traffic stop w/ the computer system. Seems to me like a "clean" citizen should have it in two weeks...

In no way am I saying a 6 week wait is OK, but unfortunately firearms licensing isn't a priority at PDs, and the busier departments dont have the time to dedicate to doing BG checks (which are more substantial than a car stop). They also have to wait for mental health checks, fingerprints, etc to come back... its not all as simple as we think, and lets face it, laziness combined with red tape and low priority.... explains the time frame, but doesnt excuse it.

As a side note:

When I show my LTC to my out of state buddies, they accuse me of making it myself. The graphics on those cards are so lame that it looks like it was made in some kids basement.

They are an improvement over the original horse blankets, however.

I consider my town to be quick and this is how the process breaks down.

• A completed application is dropped off with payment
  • A check is conducted regarding criminal background
  • check with the DMH
  • A determinition is made regarding suitability (this can be super quick or a little drawn out{few days} depending on the applicant)
  • An approved applicant is entered into MIRCS
  • The applicant make the appointment with a licensing officer and has his photograph and prints taken
  • Inked prints are submitted to AFIS for approval/rejection/verification
  • DATA is electronicaly submitted to CHSB
  • If the applicant is applying for an unrestricted LTC-A he has a brief meeting with the Lieutenant
  • CHSB prints license and mails it to the police department
  • Police depatment prints the PIN number and mails the permit

This routinely takes about 3/4 weeks providing the applicant comes in for his appointments quickly and dosn't have any other "issues"

I cant imagine anyone being able to get their permits much quicker

Last edited:
Hunter, your post seems to be quite accurate.

There are a few things that change dept to dept. The dept may print, photo, and enter you in MIRCS when you drop off the paperwork the 1st time, which speeds up the process. The "determining suitability" part is usually where it gets clogged.... or more accurately, sits on a desk for a while.

As far as a time frame: I got my LTC in 2 weeks on the dot, but there wasn't much of a suitability discussion in my case, as the dept I work for processed my LTC (or maybe there was a HUGE discussion [wink]). I still had to get the 2 letters of reference (which I asked other dept members write, the Chief wrote one....) I have actually heard of people getting their LTCs in faster than 2 weeks from application date, so it happens, but I doubt terribly often, and the issuing PD has to be on top of their game.

I know my dept waits for a "stack" of them before sending it over to CHSB, so that can be a source of delay as well.

Hunter, your post seems to be quite accurate.

There are a few things that change dept to dept. The dept may print, photo, and enter you in MIRCS when you drop off the paperwork the 1st time, which speeds up the process. The "determining suitability" part is usually where it gets clogged.... or more accurately, sits on a desk for a while.

As far as a time frame: I got my LTC in 2 weeks on the dot, but there wasn't much of a suitability discussion in my case, as the dept I work for processed my LTC (or maybe there was a HUGE discussion [wink]). I still had to get the 2 letters of reference (which I asked other dept members write, the Chief wrote one....) I have actually heard of people getting their LTCs in faster than 2 weeks from application date, so it happens, but I doubt terribly often, and the issuing PD has to be on top of their game.

I know my dept waits for a "stack" of them before sending it over to CHSB, so that can be a source of delay as well.

Attleboro had me submit the app and do all the photos, fingerprinting in one day. Unfortunately that did not speed it up at all.....

As a side note:

When I show my LTC to my out of state buddies, they accuse me of making it myself. The graphics on those cards are so lame that it looks like it was made in some kids basement.

They are an improvement over the original horse blankets, however.

When I went in to take the picture I had to hold the "webcam" up to my face: Result: on par a drunk mug shot photos

When I went in to take the picture I had to hold the "webcam" up to my face: Result: on par a drunk mug shot photos

Yeah, I had to show the lady at my dept how to focus the web cam from the state... it was funny, she didnt know why the past few hundred LTC pics she took were blurry....[sad2] and she didnt bother to ask me or call the state.....

My Wife's LTC has a great picture of a painting on the wall at the PD. My Wife's head takes up a very tiny portion of the photo. I swear that the secretary (who took it) was more interested in the "background" than LTC applicants. [rofl]

My pic is tiny too, and I'm smirking, because the Sergeant couldn't get the camera to work..
I had to meet with the firearms officer, he asked a bunch of questions, printed me, entered all of my info as I sat, and skimmed the letter I was required to write the chief.. I had it in 3 weeks..

Any idea if when they (the town/PD) cashes the check the license has been printed? It's been about 2.5 weeks and the check hasn't cashed yet. If it shows as cashed, I'll give a call down to see if it's in.

Back
Top Bottom