who wants to go coyote hunting?

I went there year before last for deer, we were pushing along through the woods next to the power lines and then off near the cranberry bogs.

This is probably a silly question, but....

What do you guys think of coyote meat for eating? I know the obvious answers will probably be "its meat, so eat it" and "don't shoot it if you don't want to eat it".

I recall hearing at some point that you generally need to be more wary of wild game meat from carnivores due to diseases and parasites they may acquire through other animals etc.. Seems to me it should all be fine so long as you cook it enough.

Hunt in the woods. They might come out, but they most likely won't.

During winter I go to the power lines near by and follow their tracks, they never come out to the open, except when crossing to the other side, or when they kill something ( blood stained snow)

If you bait it might work, but I would just bait in the woods.

Keep your eyes open when you are out there, they sneak in. So find a big tree that you can sit behind or some rocks.

I think I will try Rocky Gutter this year. I will go scout it this weekend and find a nice spot.

Has anyone been there?

Rocky Gutter has plenty of power lines. I used to do some squirrel hunting there, and always liked it.

What do you guys think of coyote meat for eating? I know the obvious answers will probably be "its meat, so eat it" and "don't shoot it if you don't want to eat it".

I recall hearing at some point that you generally need to be more wary of wild game meat from carnivores due to diseases and parasites they may acquire through other animals etc.. Seems to me it should all be fine so long as you cook it enough.

Wild dogs I won't eat (fox, yote, etc). Like ed duderino says below, use the meat to get more yotes.

Don't eat it, as I understand it yotes taste horrible plus that chance of disease. Use the meat as bait for more yotes.

Last edited:
So, judging by what ive read so far..... It IS LEGAL to hunt coyotes with a .223? Specifically, an ar15? Im going to be going at night... If I could take my ar15, thatd be excellent!!!

From all I've read, you can use anything during the day, as long as it is not Sunday or deer season.

That said, anything rimfire is too light, and .223 is probably the max you'd want to use if you're going for fur. The most popular is probably the .17 Remington, with .204 Ruger catching up quick, and .17 Fireball also making a bit of an entrance (pardon the pun).

I only use shotgun, but would LOVE a .17 Fireball. I am hoping Savage will come out with that chambering some day.

I think it might be Essex sportsmen league or another group pushing for use of artificial light for yotes at night, maybe next season it will be allowed.

This interests me, as my girlfriend was talking about wanting to try some yote hunting this year.

Do you know how to skin them, or do you just leave them for more to come out to eat?

I think it might be Essex sportsmen league or another group pushing for use of artificial light for yotes at night, maybe next season it will be allowed.

I'd rather they get the rimfire only thing repealed versus the artificial lights thing. Moonlight coyote hunting is cool.

love this thread. I took 2 yotes last year after dear season with a 22lr in the early morning hours. both head shots, one right in the eye , one in front of the ear. im on the midcape and iv seen 4 yotes in the last month. cant wait for the 15th.

love this thread. I took 2 yotes last year after dear season with a 22lr in the early morning hours. both head shots, one right in the eye , one in front of the ear. im on the midcape and iv seen 4 yotes in the last month. cant wait for the 15th.

Good shooting and good for you. As long as you can make the head shots, the .22lr is fine, but I think a centerfire cartridge (may .223) is better and more humane for body shots (based on my experience in Arizona).

What do you do with the carcasses?

Good shooting and good for you. As long as you can make the head shots, the .22lr is fine, but I think a centerfire cartridge (may .223) is better and more humane for body shots (based on my experience in Arizona).

What do you do with the carcasses?
i agree that the .223 would be preferable for bodyshots as i had to pass on a good many yotes last season due to lack of a humane kill shot. i plan on buying a mossberg mvp in .223 so soon as i can afford it.

Asfor the carcasses i bury them in the woods after i skin them

This interests me, as my girlfriend was talking about wanting to try some yote hunting this year.

Do you know how to skin them, or do you just leave them for more to come out to eat?

skinning is actually pretty easy.

But there are two ways of doing it. 1: If you want to mount the animal, you will need to keep the legs intact, kinda like a sweatshirt. 2: if you just want the pelt, Then you can cut a little more.

My advice: Buy a jumbo rabbit from: rodentpro.com (i think thats the website), they come frozen and lab raised, and you can practice on that. But first watch a few videos, and get a nice sharp skinning knife, a gutting knife and a bone saw.

I learned watching videos and from my dad, (he used to do taxidermy, but he can never get around to teaching me [angry])

Last edited:
So, judging by what ive read so far..... It IS LEGAL to hunt coyotes with a .223? Specifically, an ar15? Im going to be going at night... If I could take my ar15, thatd be excellent!!!

From all I've read, you can use anything during the day, as long as it is not Sunday or deer season.

That said, anything rimfire is too light, and .223 is probably the max you'd want to use if you're going for fur. The most popular is probably the .17 Remington, with .204 Ruger catching up quick, and .17 Fireball also making a bit of an entrance (pardon the pun).

I only use shotgun, but would LOVE a .17 Fireball. I am hoping Savage will come out with that chambering some day.

AR is no good at night.

to the second quote: Watch out for pheasant season in Wild Life management areas. You can only use a shotgun.

Also, you can not use a call during deer season. (i think thats what i red)

If you guys go to the wildlife management website and go to the coyote section, they have most of the laws and regulations. For the rest, look at their Hunting and Fishing abstract.

You cannot Posses "Buckshot or Slugs, where birds and mammals may be found, Except during the shotgun season for deer"

thanks for the correction.

I would like to try it sometime, just afraid I might shoot someones dog !! :)

i almost shot a husky one day at night. But he looked too stupid to be a coyote, he was walking around not paying attention, so i decided to wait. Turns out it was the neighbors husky that run away.

That would not be good. Saturday gonna AR some yotes, at least for one day then monday were in the woods for bow season.

skinning is actually pretty easy.

But there are two ways of doing it. 1: If you want to mount the animal, you will need to keep the legs intact, kinda like a sweatshirt. 2: if you just want the pelt, Then you can cut a little more.

My advice: Buy a jumbo rabbit from: rodentpro.com (i think thats the website), they come frozen and lab raised, and you can practice on that. But first watch a few videos, and get a nice sharp skinning knife, a gutting knife and a bone saw.

I learned watching videos and from my dad, (he used to do taxidermy, but he can never get around to teaching me [angry])

What do you do with the pelts? Make a bunch of blankets or rugs?
Is there any place around here that will buy them?
Can you tan it yourself? or how much does it typically cost for a taxidermist to do that?

Coyote_Fur_Mountain_Man_Hat_Full_Coyote_Pelt_331.jpg

In the 2011 abstracts under prohibited:

• Rifles chambered to take ammunition larger than .22 caliber
long rifle rimfire,and pistols and revolvers chambered to take ammunition larger than .38 caliber, between the hours of ½ hour after sunset and ½ hour before sunrise.

So anything during the day but limited to .22 at night???

What do you do with the pelts? Make a bunch of blankets or rugs?
Is there any place around here that will buy them?
Can you tan it yourself? or how much does it typically cost for a taxidermist to do that?

View attachment 21176

you can learn how to tan yourself, its not that hard.

people will buy them. The only taxidermist i spoke to told me $100 (way too much)

you can do hats, and bags for people that do re-enactments, also people that shoot muskets love to dress up. Make your girl a bra, i dont know. use your imagination.

In the 2011 abstracts under prohibited:

• Rifles chambered to take ammunition larger than .22 caliber
long rifle rimfire,and pistols and revolvers chambered to take ammunition larger than .38 caliber, between the hours of ½ hour after sunset and ½ hour before sunrise.

So anything during the day but limited to .22 at night???

almost anything during the day.

and .22Lr at night.

Back
Top Bottom