who wants to go coyote hunting?

Broc

NES Member
The seasons is almost here.
I have more fun calling them than actually shooting them, so if anyone needs someone to call them let me know. i use an electronic call, and it is pretty loud.

I was thinking the other day about coyote hunting, but I dont know nothing about it. I'll send you a pm later to see if we can get something going.

Id like to if I can find the time, where you plan on going? Ive only hunted in ME, never brought anything home, does MA require shotguns for yotes?

i am in Southern MA. I dont mind going to Northern MA, or NH, or a little west. As long as we have fun.

Id like to if I can find the time, where you plan on going? Ive only hunted in ME, never brought anything home, does MA require shotguns for yotes?

When not in deer season and turkey season, you can use anything except a rifled slug, anything from a .22LR to a .50 or buck shot or a muzzle loader. You can hunt at night with a .22lr. If you go to a state forest, then i think that during pheasant season you also have to use a shotgun. (not 100% sure)

I need to look at the regulations again, make sure they dint change them.

As far as places, i have only been around kingston last season because there were quite a few coyotes. I went out 6 times, 4 times i was successful, but i didnt have a good shot, so i didnt kill the coyote.

All i ask is that if anyone PMs me, make sure you are a responsible hunter. I will not aim a rifle if i know there is a house that way (even if its a mile away), whenever possible i will shoot down hill or have a hill as a back stop, and never take a shot at noise or at a hint of an animal (i dont want to end up in jail becasue we shot someone). if you dont see the entire animal, dont shoot.

Also, i want to find new places, so if you have a place you go to, i will go there and call them for you.

Going out late in the afternoon or early in the morning (like being in the woods at 5am early) is usually the best.

also, i love to go out whenever there is snow on the ground and there is a nice moon. It is almost like day light.

Last edited:
A .22 lr would be iffy for killing one I think, seems like a underpowered round for that and not sure to get an ethical kill. Also, you can use shotgun at night in mass

A .22 lr would be iffy for killing one I think, seems like a underpowered round for that and not sure to get an ethical kill. Also, you can use shotgun at night in mass

You can not use a shotgun at night, unless they changed the regulations since last year.

A .22lr is a crappy round, but there are people that use it because they want the pelts.

Read section 7b it says pistol no larger than 38 and 22 LR, nothing about shotgun. 7c does not say anything about hunting at night.

Was thinking about putting a Youkon NV on my .17 as MA now allows for night hunting. .22 and .17at night only

no artificial light for coyote. Night Vision uses a small infrared light for it to work, that is considered artificial light. But you can use it for racoons.

Its NV. MA law does not specify,but ususlly someone interpurts an artificial light as a spot light or flash light. the NV scope may have an ON indicator( im not familiar) but most of the unit is to gather outside light.

...you can use anything except a rifled slug, anything from a .22LR to a .50 or buck shot or a muzzle loader. You can hunt at night with a .22lr. ...

...went out 6 times, 4 times i was successful, but i didnt have a good shot, so i didnt kill the coyote.

All i ask is that if anyone PMs me, make sure you are a responsible hunter.

Also, i want to find new places, so if you have a place you go to, i will go there and call them for you.

also, i love to go out whenever there is snow on the ground and there is a nice moon. It is almost like day light.

I was about to say "Where's Kingston?", but ?? on the "didn't kill the coyote". I hope that meant you didn't take the shot, and not that you let one suffer. Otherwise, it wouldn't square very well with your "responsible hunter" requirement.

Nice offer otherwise, though. So true about the moonlight. Late December and January, the pelts are the nicest.

Can you get by with a .22 LR for Coyote? Or should I wait till my C&R comes in so I can grab a nugget?

No. A .22 will not suffice unless at point blank range (30 feet). Those are tough buggers.

Was thinking about putting a Youkon NV on my .17 as MA now allows for night hunting. .22 and .17at night only

.17 Remington (not .17 HMR rimfire!) is the most popular coyote round for good reason. That is the one to go with.

I was about to say "Where's Kingston?", but ?? on the "didn't kill the coyote". I hope that meant you didn't take the shot, and not that you let one suffer. Otherwise, it wouldn't square very well with your "responsible hunter" requirement.

Nice offer otherwise, though. So true about the moonlight. Late December and January, the pelts are the nicest.

No. A .22 will not suffice unless at point blank range (30 feet). Those are tough buggers.

.17 Remington (not .17 HMR rimfire!) is the most popular coyote round for good reason. That is the one to go with.

I didn't shoot. I only shoot if I can kill it. And I don't shoot unless I have a perfect shot, I am not desperate, so if I don't kill one all season long I am fine. Sometimes it is more fun to call them and watch them run around.

It says: no artificial lights are allowed at night.(for coyote)

Night vision uses an artificial light.(at least the ones that cost $500)

Last week I took the PAC agent coyote certification class, and both of the instructors said it was legal. I can understand what you mean, but if in seen as legal by the state, then I'm going to use it. If I get arrested, I'll be a test case.

Im in SE mass and love Coyote Season! I usually go out on my own with my calls, Night Vision and a fresh box of:
deadcoyote-1.jpg

Its a great time!

Last week I took the PAC agent coyote certification class, and both of the instructors said it was legal. I can understand what you mean, but if in seen as legal by the state, then I'm going to use it. If I get arrested, I'll be a test case.

I hear you. But I don't go by what people say, I go by what's written.

Anyways, if you get a night vision scope, could we meet up one day just so I can see the quality? I cant find anyone around that sells them, and all I have are videos I found online.(I thought about getting one last year)

This will be my first year going coyote hunting (Last year I was sick as hell through the whole winter and missed a lot of hunting time) Does anyone have tips for using a mouth call? and the place im looking at has a decent amount of open space between where I'd be and the woods they would come from, will they come into an open field looking for a meal? (I plan to bait as well)

This will be my first year going coyote hunting (Last year I was sick as hell through the whole winter and missed a lot of hunting time) Does anyone have tips for using a mouth call? and the place im looking at has a decent amount of open space between where I'd be and the woods they would come from, will they come into an open field looking for a meal? (I plan to bait as well)

Hunt in the woods. They might come out, but they most likely won't.

During winter I go to the power lines near by and follow their tracks, they never come out to the open, except when crossing to the other side, or when they kill something ( blood stained snow)

If you bait it might work, but I would just bait in the woods.

Keep your eyes open when you are out there, they sneak in. So find a big tree that you can sit behind or some rocks.

I think I will try Rocky Gutter this year. I will go scout it this weekend and find a nice spot.

Has anyone been there?

Back
Top Bottom