Why can't they leave sportsmen alone

Does anyone here actually think that any of the Kennedys or Bush family or any other "government official" would tolerate having to buy a license to fish in the ocean on their weekend fishing trips? No? Well neither will I and I hope neither will any of you.

If they did ever buy one,,,,,,prove it! Until then they can stick their ocean fishing license where the sun don't shine.....I refuse.

Does anyone here actually think that any of the Kennedys or Bush family or any other "government official" would tolerate having to buy a license to fish in the ocean on their weekend fishing trips? No? Well neither will I and I hope neither will any of you.

If they did ever buy one,,,,,,prove it! Until then they can stick their ocean fishing license where the sun don't shine.....I refuse.
Who is going to enforce this new salt-water fishing license requirement? Massachusetts State Police, Environmental Police, local cops, shellfish constables, Coast Guard???[hmmm] What is the penalty for non-compliance? I don't care; I will just head to the beaches in NH and ME to do saltwater fishing. Screw their backdoor taxes, which is exactly what a saltwater license is.

Who is going to enforce this new salt-water fishing license requirement? Massachusetts State Police, Environmental Police, local cops, shellfish constables, Coast Guard???[hmmm] What is the penalty for non-compliance? I don't care; I will just head to the beaches in NH and ME to do saltwater fishing. Screw their backdoor taxes, which is exactly what a saltwater license is.

Gamewardens, AKA Mass Enviromental police

Why can't they leave sportsmen alone

Responding to the title, in case it's not a rhetorical question....

Why do you think that they would? More people don't fish than do, so it's a no-brainer. A prohibition, license or fee doesn't affect most of the population.

It's just like two levels of driver's licenses - one for <18, one for over.....

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/recreationalfishing/rec_license.htm#license

2010 – Massachusetts saltwater anglers must register for free with the federal government;

2011 – Massachusetts saltwater anglers must buy a permit from the Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries.

Q14. Who enforces the law?
A14. The Massachusetts Environmental Police and US Coast Guard will have enforcement powers.

This is not new, your to late.... doesn’t matter how many letters you write today, tomorrow if you go fishing you need to be registered. I personally don't know what the penalty is? im sure its not a slap on the wrist... probably loose all hunting and fishing privileges in this country for a few years and have it as a black spot on ones record for life...

good luck with all your protesting though, you should be fine... if the game warden asks just tell him exactly what you think,. im sure it will put a smile of there face.

i think you might still need it for NH ME etc..

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/marine/index.htm its in that yellow box thing just under marine resources, same deal for Maine i found it on there site if i need to register basically stipper being anadromous fish didn’t help the outcome and it said i need it. Maine is the worst state to fish anyway, they have more rules and regulations for fishing than mass has for guns.

Last edited:
I already have mine. This year is free, next year is 10 bucks. And yes, this is total bullshit! They expect me to call in or go to countmyfish.noaa.gov and report my catch every-time I go fishing. The lic. came from NOAA, it is a National lic. so leaving the state wont help you here.

This goes beyond saltwater.
I read an article on this a couple of days ago that I can not find. Actually, thought it was on the web but might be in a print mag. Anyway, they estimated the financial impact to be around $82 billion. Take with grain of salt. But, still surprised we contribute so much to the economy.

i had a warden give me hell, told me i needed the stores receipt to use herring because how else is he suppose to know i bought them etc. etc. etc... when he was done yapping.. i told him he can tell that there not river herring, its completely different from river herring. i picked one up and pointed out each and every difference between the two... he changed his attitude quick LOL there was a bunch of people laughing.

If I have to buy a license I will keep everything I catch, damn the size regs.

This is the mentality of the hispanic immigrants of questionable citizenship status that fillet short striped bass on the seashore rocks,typically they are surronded by large amount of rubbish & human feces.

I don't know if this a dupe but I figured I would put it here.
Time to start writing letters to our elected officials again.
http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/saltwater/news/story?id=4975762

This is Big Govt.interfearing with individuals "past times" again this is proposed for "Recreational Fisherman" Not just Striped Bass but ALL fish
This is a grab for revenue under the guiest of enviornmental marine protection.
Is the next step a national database of hunters in the name of deer statistics.
These federal case studies under the enviornment flag are costing liberties.They open the door for addl monitoring and creations of Natl police force enforcement branchs.

Wrong, I obey the regs now 100%, but if I have to pay for something I should not have to pay for why should I then follow them?

Here is an honest question for you. Freshwater anglers have had to pay for a long long time now. With the pittman robertson act all hunting and license sales funds must go into the fisheries and wildlife treasury or the state forfiets several million dollars a year from the feds. So the state cannot use any of these funds on anything but fishing and hunting expenses. Seeing as the feds mandated Saltwater licenses and the state has to use enviromental police to enforce it and has to maintain the salt water boat ramps isnt it only fair the salt water anglers finally pick up part of the tab???

Here is an honest question for you. Freshwater anglers have had to pay for a long long time now. With the pittman robertson act all hunting and license sales funds must go into the fisheries and wildlife treasury or the state forfiets several million dollars a year from the feds. So the state cannot use any of these funds on anything but fishing and hunting expenses. Seeing as the feds mandated Saltwater licenses and the state has to use enviromental police to enforce it and has to maintain the salt water boat ramps isnt it only fair the salt water anglers finally pick up part of the tab???

Fresh waters are stocked, as are pheasants etc. Saltwater is not and cannot really be stocked like that. The fed mandate is wrong, there is no way to justify it to me. The state can choose to ignore the fed mandate completely.

The state can choose to ignore the fed mandate completely.

That is incredibly myopic of you.

Yes the state can choose to ignore the mandate but the consequence of that is the next year the Fed will implement the SW license, collect and keeps the funds, and then our state fish and wildlife agency looses out on the money. At least this way the money goes back into the Mass fish and wildlife treasurey to be spent on sportsmen in this state. Or would you prefer it the other way?

27.50 isn't enough to fish i guess.Noone owns the ocean.right?But then again when I by a hunting license (to hunt) I also have to pay to use a bow,primitive arm,to hunt a turkey,bag a doe or a bear,etc...etc..WHEN IS ENOUGH ENOUGH

Wrong, I obey the regs now 100%, but if I have to pay for something I should not have to pay for why should I then follow them?

No! you still sound like a Poacher. Just because you don’t agree with something "a law" game laws federal laws, you decide that you may take the right to break them.

Last edited:
No! you still sound like a Poacher. Just because you don’t agree with something "a law" game laws federal laws, you decide that you may take the right to break them.

Have to agree here. When I was down south and they jacked up the fees on hunting licenses a lot of people off base used the same logic to come home with six deer instead of two and trucks full of ducks.
It's poaching. If it's not in the constitution then it's not a 'right' granted to us as citizens (views on natural rights aside - rule of law still applies to everybody) and we must follow the regs/laws until we can have them changed.

Last edited:
GaryO, I apologize for contributing to the
fjl3xj.jpg
. I know nobody is changing any minds here but I self-indulgently wanted say my piece. Great OP and thanks for sharing.

Ah so no one must touch the king's deer? This is nothing more than another tax at the expense of the average working American. Just because it is a law does not make it right. If (when) health care reform get rammed down our throat will that be ok because it is the "law"? Enough is enough! Civil disobedience is am American pastime.

Ah so no one must touch the king's deer? This is nothing more than another tax at the expense of the average working American. Just because it is a law does not make it right. If (when) health care reform get rammed down our throat will that be ok because it is the "law"? Enough is enough! Civil disobedience is am American pastime.

Good luck with that. Just dont come crying like a little girl when you get pinched....

why are the guns we can't own in pictures with girls we don't get?

i think we include some hyperventilating and loss of motor functions when crying about guns.

Something to consider, the Mass Env Pd swear in other sworn LE officials as deputies conveying enforcement powers to them. Harbormasters, DCR rangers, federal, out of state and local police may be cross sworn as deputy env police and provided wildlife enforcement citation books. In the case of fines and fees from licenses sold, all monies received go into Mass DMF operational fund.

Back
Top Bottom