• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why does it take so long to get a ltc

Why does it take so long to get a ltc? I live in a green town and I was told 3 months. You would think with everything done on computers it would be a shorter wait time.

At the end of the day just be happy you'll get an unrestricted license to begin with in this state. 3 months will be past before you know it. It would be nice if it was 2 weeks but some others have it a lot worse.

I just went for a renewal and I was told 6-8 weeks

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

With respects to the OP a renewal really doesn't matter any more with the new processing rules. They removed the 90 day policy. So once you start the process you're all set. In that case that could take 6 months and who cares.

Got a postcard in January that my LTC was expiring in June. Called my PD the next day and they gave me an "appointment" (to take my renewal application and my $100) in early April. Told me at my appointment if I don't hear from them by July 17th to call them!!!

I honestly think that they hope you get tired of waiting and give up all together...

It's done this way so that after so much time, either:

1. You died, moved, or forgot, or
2. The AG reinterpreted something so they don't have to give it to you.

In any case, it'seems just a mind **** so you know they are in charge, even if they grant you permission to have a Right.

Why does it take so long to get a ltc? I live in a green town and I was told 3 months. You would think with everything done on computers it would be a shorter wait time.

To discourage the public from exercising a civil right that the state wishes it could get way with ignoring entirely. A right delayed is a right denied. The state would prefer to outright deny the right if the supreme court would let them.

With respects to the OP a renewal really doesn't matter any more with the new processing rules. They removed the 90 day policy. So once you start the process you're all set. In that case that could take 6 months and who cares.

I believe that this applies only if the licensing authority entered the renewal information into MIRCS prior to the expiration date of the license. If the licensing authority entered the information into MIRCS after the expiration date, then the 90-day grace period applies whereby you cannot buy or sell.

Because MA. Oh and by the way, the wait times vary town by town. Some towns wait till they have a hundred applications (or some other arbitrary number) before they enter the info into MIRCS and send the apps up to Chelsea. Those are the places where you get absurd wait times. Other towns will do all that as the applications are received and the turnaround times are within a month. Most towns are somewhere in between.

Because some PDs are just slow and inefficient, either by choice or by personnel limitations. They also like playing the game- knowing that you won't take them to court because its too much of a pain in the ass.

I've noticed that typical towns are about a month or so on new apps.

-Mike

At the end of the day just be happy you'll get an unrestricted license to begin with in this state. 3 months will be past before you know it. It would be nice if it was 2 weeks but some others have it a lot worse.

Nobody should "just be happy" with schloque licensing. Out of the 351 cities and towns in MA btw, most of them issue unrestricted to people with clean records. I can't imagine there being more than a couple dozen full on douche towns left.

Some of these slow PDs are just slow because they don't take the process seriously or really don't like wasting staff on it. In a slightly less shittier Massachusetts, the state would streamline the process for PDs that don't want to waste staff on this garbage but otherwise have a shall issue attitude. The only thing the PD would have to do is fingerprints, possibly, then CJIS does all the other crap on the back end and just
sends the person their license.

-Mike

I like the fact that the new grace period is unlimited but running on the grace period still blows. Lots of less informed shops will treat you like shit, etc. Also good luck explaining to the typical sales droid at Walmart or Dicks that your obviously expired LTC is still legally valid when going to buy ammo.

-Mike

I believe that this applies only if the licensing authority entered the renewal information into MIRCS prior to the expiration date of the license. If the licensing authority entered the information into MIRCS after the expiration date, then the 90-day grace period applies whereby you cannot buy or sell.

I understood it as: if your renewal information is entered into MIRCS after your expiration date, you have nothing. NO 90 day, nothing.

When did you turn in your paperwork? They could be telling you 3 months when they know it'll be less, this gives them some wiggle room. My LO told me "at least 40 or more days" when in fact from fingerprints to LTC in hand was 23 days.

Good luck! hope you hear soon.

I live in the green town and it took me 7 months to get my FIRST ltc and I didn't know any better and all the people involved were nice and professional and I know now that it was my ignorance that contributed in to buying that as well.

I understood it as: if your renewal information is entered into MIRCS after your expiration date, you have nothing. NO 90 day, nothing.

I remembered reading something about it and found it by Len-2A (post #13).

Swatgig (lawyer) found something in the law that surprised me too and helps add to the confusion.

- IFF the PD enters your renewal in MIRCS (something that we don't control) before expiration, the 1/1/15 law change gives you unlimited grace period until your renewal comes thru. By law you can carry (with whatever restrictions existed on the expired LTC), buy and sell FTF (or thru FFL).

- If for any reason the PD does NOT enter your renewal until AFTER expiration, Swatgig found that you still have a 90 day grace period where you can carry as before. MIRCS won't let you buy/sell anything however.

- If you fail to renew or are beyond the grace period the penalty is merely a $$ fine, no jail time. As long as you keep your old expired LTC or FID (even the lifetime ones) you avoid prison for possession w/o a license. This assumes you weren't denied or suspended/revoked however. Lots of people let their old horse-blanket "lifetime" FIDs expire and never bothered to renew under the "new" system in 1998.

https://www.northeastshooters.com/v...newal-Grace-Period-Removes-Restrictions/page2

When did you turn in your paperwork? They could be telling you 3 months when they know it'll be less, this gives them some wiggle room. My LO told me "at least 40 or more days" when in fact from fingerprints to LTC in hand was 23 days.

Good luck! hope you hear soon.

I put my application in on March 23rd.

There's no technological reason for the wait; it's bureaucratic. My initial issue of my CT permit took about 12 weeks, that was for my town issued permit. The issuing of my state permit was virtually instantaneous, just required a trip to the state police barracks and presentation of the town permit, id and cash. My recent renewal took 10 days.

My initial issue of my GA state permit took eight days.

I hear explanations about backups and queues and waits for national checks -- and after getting my Georgia permit I don't believe those explanations any more. I walked into the county administration building, filled out the forms, had my fingerprints taken, had my photo taken, signed the forms, handed over the checks and went home after a pleasant conversation with the lady who handles that particular administrative task. Eight days later she called me and said that my permit was there, please come pick it up.

Georgia, Connecticut, Massachusetts, everybody - they all clear at the federal level - and Georgia can do it in eight days, which means that everybody else can too.

Georgia's DMV, (MVD, DDS, department motor vehicles), is another case in point - it WORKS. CT's is a clusterfck, and has been the entire time I lived there. I had to change driver's licenses and register vehicles when I moved, and based on my experience with CT, I expected the usual shtshow. Nope. I actually had to go to the DMV once, and that was because GA is doing the "REAL ID". The state has a clean web site, so I was able to put together the docs I needed. I was met at the door by a lady who asked me why I was there, and directed me to the proper line. I was out of there in an hour with my new temporary license - and the statement that I would receive either my new VERIFIED license or a phone call within two weeks. My license arrived shortly afterwards in the mail. The re-registration of my vehicles is done at my county administration building, which is adequately staffed by genuinely nice people, and again the procedures and paperwork are documented online.

Yeah I know - WHAT'S THIS GO TO DO WITH THE OP?

MA is fcking you over just because...

I lived in CT for forty years. It's like killing a frog by dropping it in a pot of water and bringing it to a boil. You're just accustomed to rudeness, shitty service, delay and obstruction by people who are supposed to be working for you and you accept that as the way things are.

Every day down here, I see something that makes me turn to my wife and say "you know - people down here are just nicer".

In what way? Sure, you can start the renewal process, and if your old one expires before you get the new one word is you can continue to carry on your old one plus your 'receipt' to indicate you've started the renewal process. Just try buying a gun or ammo with that receipt though...

The REAL reason, is that there is no real reason for it to be quicker. Being slow does not p!ss off enough people to make a difference.

The RMV issues you a temp. license right there, and the real one comes in the mail. Why? Because if the RMV was a slow as the PD is, there would be hell to pay from the residents of the state.

But, you say, "It's a public safety thing!" Sure.....and when the default ID for getting on a plane, or into a Federal building is your Driver's License...well.....I guess the DL is too......

See....everyone drives, not everyone shoots. When it comes to making the .gov work, it's all about the votes. Drivers are an 800-pound gorilla.....shooters are not even a chimp. They're more like the little cotton-top Tamarins at the Museum pf Science:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-K2DZojWi0

It's hard to collectively go ape, when you can easily be stuffed into a milk crate.

Wait for your piece of banana.

Process sucks. Called january, got an appointment in april then licensed in mid may.

Wife is going through it now. Atleast she had me advising her. The moment she decided she wanted LTC i told her to schedule an appoint THEN worry about taking safety course.

She called january 31st, appointment in may so probably licensed in September (hopefully by mid june)

I love that back in the day (about 20 years ago) I got my NH Pistol Permit in a matter of HOURS, same day. Before computers were in wide use for this sort of thing. Computers really sped things up, huh?

I moved from New Hampshire to South Carolina.

New Hampshire is (was) $10 for shall issue with a 14 day (actually enforced) maximum. South Carolina is shall issue 90 days (not enforced, so not adhered to) maximum.

But first you need to take the stupid class. I had carried daily for almost thirty years but still had to take their stupid class. First, find a class and sign up. There seems to be two kinds of classes. Those with a waiting list and those that wait for enough people to sign up before scheduling. Sign up and wait, peasant.

Then take the class. In their benevolence, the state dropped the requirement of a minimum eight hours for the class, so mine was only ten and a half hours each of our lives we will never get back. This includes how to tell the difference between a pistol and a revolver. Pay close attention here, it will be on the test. How did I carry so long without knowing that? Then I had to listen to some guru explain how Crimson Trace lasers are so bad because the batteries will eventually die. I've been carrying longer than he has been breathing. Get back to me when your eyes are 50+ years old. Let's see how you feel about it then. Much of the class and test is devoted to thoroughly indoctrinating you in all the places the legislature has decreed to be Constitution free zones where your permit is no good. Then comes the shooting test. Ray Charles could pass that test. Really. The class was $65. $75 if you want them to take the required two sets of fingerprints. That's $150 for my wife and I.

After the class, you send in your application, fingerprints and bank check or money order (no credit cards or personal checks accepted) for $50 to the Statzpolezei to wait 90 days (or more if they feel like it) to run the same background check that takes about 120 seconds if they notice a taillight out while you're driving.

Then my application gets rejected, one of the prints on one of the cards is not perfectly clear. I have to run out and get any two sets taken at the Sheriff department. Free, stop in any time during normal business hours.

Resend full application and the clock starts at 90 days again.

Total cost for two - $250.
Total time elapsed - about eight months.

What happens to the poor schmuck who just doesn't have an extra $250? I guess you're just SOL!

What happens to someone who never saw a need for it before, but all of a sudden has a real need for it right now? Join the guy who doesn't have an extra $250 in that line over there. That line leads to the showers.

Land of the free, home of the brave.

I think people in the towns with even 7 days waiting should complain. Put the pressure on EVERYWHERE, and that helps the cause overall. If they can cut it from 7 days to 6 days, that is one day less OVERALL, and something other towns can point to. KEEP THE PRESSURE ON.

(Yes, I know, it is preaching to the choir, and this is Mass. but at least it is SOMETHING.)

Back
Top Bottom