Why does it take so long to get a ltc

Just adding my two cents....i know 6 people in my town including myself who have gotten unrestricted ltc for the first time. It took a few weeks to set up appt for most of us. But after that the licenses were all in within 5 weeks.

So just guessing but is it the individual towns dragging their feet?

I moved from New Hampshire to South Carolina.

New Hampshire is (was) $10 for shall issue with a 14 day (actually enforced) maximum. South Carolina is shall issue 90 days (not enforced, so not adhered to) maximum.

But first you need to take the stupid class. I had carried daily for almost thirty years but still had to take their stupid class. First, find a class and sign up. There seems to be two kinds of classes. Those with a waiting list and those that wait for enough people to sign up before scheduling. Sign up and wait, peasant.

Then take the class. In their benevolence, the state dropped the requirement of a minimum eight hours for the class, so mine was only ten and a half hours each of our lives we will never get back. This includes how to tell the difference between a pistol and a revolver. Pay close attention here, it will be on the test. How did I carry so long without knowing that? Then I had to listen to some guru explain how Crimson Trace lasers are so bad because the batteries will eventually die. I've been carrying longer than he has been breathing. Get back to me when your eyes are 50+ years old. Let's see how you feel about it then. Much of the class and test is devoted to thoroughly indoctrinating you in all the places the legislature has decreed to be Constitution free zones where your permit is no good. Then comes the shooting test. Ray Charles could pass that test. Really. The class was $65. $75 if you want them to take the required two sets of fingerprints. That's $150 for my wife and I.

After the class, you send in your application, fingerprints and bank check or money order (no credit cards or personal checks accepted) for $50 to the Statzpolezei to wait 90 days (or more if they feel like it) to run the same background check that takes about 120 seconds if they notice a taillight out while you're driving.

Then my application gets rejected, one of the prints on one of the cards is not perfectly clear. I have to run out and get any two sets taken at the Sheriff department. Free, stop in any time during normal business hours.

Resend full application and the clock starts at 90 days again.

Total cost for two - $250.
Total time elapsed - about eight months.

What happens to the poor schmuck who just doesn't have an extra $250? I guess you're just SOL!

What happens to someone who never saw a need for it before, but all of a sudden has a real need for it right now? Join the guy who doesn't have an extra $250 in that line over there. That line leads to the showers.

Land of the free, home of the brave.
Bravo

It's the town trust me. Haverhill is 7-8 weeks and they call you and tell you to come pick it up at the station.

Best way to speed up the process would be for the PD to keep the LTC fee instead of it going to the towns general budget. Currently, the PD has to staff the Licensing Officer and all of the associated PITA stuff that goes along with guns in MA. If they got to keep the fee it might speed up the process.....

Best way to speed up the process would be for the PD to keep the LTC fee instead of it going to the towns general budget. Currently, the PD has to staff the Licensing Officer and all of the associated PITA stuff that goes along with guns in MA. If they got to keep the fee it might speed up the process.....

That's just not how government finances work. It just isn't.

[rofl]

The best way to speed up the licensing process, would be to have some level of enforcement / sanction when the PD does not comply with the requirements of black-letter law.

There should be ABSOLUTELY NO FINANCIAL INCENTIVE FOR THE POLICE TO DO, OR NOT DO, ANY PART OF THEIR JOB!

The police dept is not a business, that needs financial incentives. It's a government function, like water service or trash pick-up.

How about we just follow the constitution and do away the whole..it's a privilege thing![rofl]

The wealthy get permits to carry.. The peasants don't!

It's all about control!

You don't think a politician in MA actually waits as long as the rest of us to get their LTC.
They also don't receive a target/hunting restriction.

Last edited:
Not everyone has been on NES as long as others.

Not everyone has been dealing with LTC fun as long as others.

I give help and advice when asked, and when I feel that I can help. Today, I got info in a thread I started (Odd carbine ammo, in the ammo sub-forum). You're never too experienced to find out something new.

A direct answer to a new member's question is better, IMO, than "Read the thread that's been posted before!" Nobody is obligated to reply to a "dumb noob question."

The key to renewal is buy any guns and ammo you want before your license expires.You can still carry with an expired LTC as long as your renewal is being processed. And don't worry about it.

I requested an interview Dec 28. Interviewed in March. Still waiting. Should be another couple weeks they say. Boston sucks. I have zero criminal record as well.

The town just called and informed me that the State Police has misplaced some fingerprint cards and of course mine was one of them. Have to go in for new prints tomorrow morning. How the hell do you lose print cards? I have had them done with ink and electronically.

Why can PA issue them on the spot? Take your application, run the checks, and laminate the card in about 45 minutes.

No excuse for towns to complain. Any time I have been in the PD, they don't appear busy doing anything at all. If they are, pull the asshat with the radar gun out of the bushes and get him processing LTC's

Renewal came in the mail today. Not too bad as my old one doesnt expire until the middle of the month. I went in on 4/27. 5/7 got a phone call that i needed prints retaken due to the SP losing the other records and received the license today.

Back
Top Bottom