• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why is the .40 caliber losing popularity?

actually, .40 is for the firearms connoisseur. Not everyone can handle the sharper kick, only to be rewarded by more force hitting the desired target. 9mm is for the plebian masses; soft hands, limp wrists, etc who begin to think they are Wyatt Earp with an autoloader. Whether it's drilling holes in paper, dinging steel targets, or punching a hole in the chest of a blm/antifa protestor, .40 will always be the superior choice.
45 acp

I don't shoot .40 because 10mm is a pussified version of 9x25 and .357 Sig is too snappy compared to 38 Casull downloaded to 40 Super velocity and I never practice

A few years ago .40 was the big thing. Everyone wanted it. Now it seems it’s losing its popularity to the point of people hating it. The reason I ask is now you see some going up for sale in the used gun market. Seems like it might be a viable thing to purchase. So why all the hate? Is the .40 caliber becoming obsolete?
Lol some? The past decade has been littered with .40 used handguns. It's basically still around because of a huge installed base of handguns.

Fourtay was created to upset those 9mm shooters that say it's as powerful as any cartridge that starts with a 4 in the front..
When in reality it's really because they can't handle the massive, wrist twisting, bone breaking recoil![rofl2]
9mm=pfff, girly round.
40 S&W=wow that's manly.
45 acp=godlike power!

I like that you can buy a fourtay handgun so cheap!
If all I had was one of my fourty's, I would be a happy camper!
We’re does the 10mm and .50 AE fit in that ranking system?

357 Sig is a better stopper than 40, yet that never really became main stream. And now I think it's pretty much dead on arrival. I have some 135gr "fortaaaay" that has similar performance to the 357 SIg. I don't even own a" fortaaay" anymore.

I hope there’s a resurgence of 357sig now that we have fluid transfer rounds like the LeHigh bullets that perform extremely well with the extra speed. Better barrier penetration and permanent wound cavity than good JHP in 45 or 40. Only 10mm beats it out.

Because it's f***ing fotay [rofl]

what-9mm-looks-like-next-to-40-9mm-40-s-w-26126875.png

9mm-45-acp-10mm-7-62-40-s-w-15761099.png

how-females-get-their-bras-off-i-how-40-cal-23029006.png
Avg .40 fan meeting his bruh at rt95 deli ticket emporium to pick up another smegma or S&W 3rd gen, or that Beretta 96 that nobody asked for...

View: https://youtu.be/Wf9FYqkyfIw

40 is well entrenched in USPSA limited class, and some of the guns made for it are more wildcat than true 40S&Ws. The SxI variants tend to run better with 1.18 - 1.20 OAL rather than the normal 1.135, plus they are often loaded to greater power levels. My 40 loads for the SVIs wont fit into Glock mags because of this extra length.

The caliber is popular because of the rule of 4 (.40 or larger to make major power factor scoring, though i think there is an exception for 357mag). This rule resulted in many buying multi-thoousand dollar competition guns and you would hear bellyaching not unlike Feinstien in a room full of shoulder things that go up if suddenly 9x19 made major, obsoleting all the 40s used in competition. I say "obsoleting" because the greater capacity and lower recoil of the 9 would give it an advantage.

The first time you try and shoot 9mm in a .40 or vice versa you'll understand why people avoid it. They are just close enough to cause
trouble.

My dad gave me a .40 P226.. while snappy, it is tolerable and easy to control. Especially for someone who frequently (well used too...before the shortage) shoot 9 MM. I had an M&P .45 Compact... it was just too much for me so I sold it.

I now have the 15 round .40 Caliber magazine from Sig/Mecgar and a TLR light.. it is my go to home defense gun in North Carolina.

Edit: A lot of NC Police Departments Carry the Glock-22 (.40) and or the Sig P-320 in .40. The State Highway Patrol carry the Sig P-320 in .357 Sig

40 is well entrenched in USPSA limited class, and some of the guns made for it are more wildcat than true 40S&Ws. The SxI variants tend to run better with 1.18 - 1.20 OAL rather than the normal 1.135, plus they are often loaded to greater power levels. My 40 loads for the SVIs wont fit into Glock mags because of this extra length.

The caliber is popular because of the rule of 4 (.40 or larger to make major power factor scoring, though i think there is an exception for 357mag). This rule resulted in many buying multi-thoousand dollar competition guns and you would hear bellyaching not unlike Feinstien in a room full of shoulder things that go up if suddenly 9x19 made major, obsoleting all the 40s used in competition. I say "obsoleting" because the greater capacity and lower recoil of the 9 would give it an advantage.

.357Sig is major in uspsa. I've shot limited with it.

It's an interesting round.

I picked up an HK P30 in 40 when things started going south this year to round off my collection and to be ready in case ammo for other calibers became scarce. It shoots great, very accurate, recoil isn’t worse to me than 9 and I was able to stock up on ammo for quite a while. No regrets.

Even better I was able to get a very nice Nightingale Leather holster from the manufacturer that was a leftover without the current 28 week wait and it fits my HK P30 SK too. Win!

it's the ferrying out of our nation. Ouch! to much snap. Ouch to much recoil. We've become a nation of ball babies. In case I didn't mention it the sissyfication of our society. And everybody wants to be a woman now. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

A few years ago .40 was the big thing. Everyone wanted it. Now it seems it’s losing its popularity to the point of people hating it. The reason I ask is now you see some going up for sale in the used gun market. Seems like it might be a viable thing to purchase. So why all the hate? Is the .40 caliber becoming obsolete?
Because .45 acp, just as John Moses Browning intended.

Back
Top Bottom