• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why is the .40 caliber losing popularity?

“Too snappy”

[rofl]
Like the M&Pee Shield in any caliber. LOL.

I have a FN made Hi-power in 40 s&w that I paid $450.00 for...Sucker!

As an avid HP fanboy, that's a damn good price.

On the other hand, if the Nazis wanted more "power" than 9mm, they would have designed a cartridge like the FOTAY. But, THEY DIDN'T.

Avg .40 fan meeting his bruh at rt95 deli ticket emporium to pick up another smegma or S&W 3rd gen, or that Beretta 96 that nobody asked for...

View: https://youtu.be/Wf9FYqkyfIw

Dead.

Bro, I have the best Christmas present for u.

A BEAUTIFUL M&PEE T-50 STAPLE GUN TRIGGER IN FOTAY-SMITH & WESSSSSON

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N68h5mvyOjo

Last edited:
A few years ago .40 was the big thing. Everyone wanted it. Now it seems it’s losing its popularity to the point of people hating it. The reason I ask is now you see some going up for sale in the used gun market. Seems like it might be a viable thing to purchase. So why all the hate? Is the .40 caliber becoming obsolete?
Trump became President. Americans started growing chest hair and balls.

unnamed (9).jpg

Last edited:
I’ve seen a P226 and a P320 in .40. What’s a good price for them used?

I think I picked up my used 229 in 40 here on NES for 700. It’s a great platform I’ve got the 357 sig barrel for it as well. if you are on the fence at all go for it. When times are good ,9mm comes back, all you need is a slide and 9mm barrel to change. But you probably won’t, once you go forty in a full size gun you save the 9 for deep concealment.

I have a fairly boring answer. Improvements in 9mm self-defense rounds left the .40 without enough of an advantage to warrant the increased costs. (BC -- Before Covid).

You are wrong about the wrong thing you say.

the same bullet improvements that have gone into the 9 have gone into every other caliber.

The answer is simple: Evolution.

Evolution of man, from this:

1602726915688.jpeg

To this:

images

And evolution of targets from this:

1602727052252.jpeg

To this:

images

That's all you really need to know about .40 cal vs. 9mm.

I think I picked up my used 229 in 40 here on NES for 700. It’s a great platform I’ve got the 357 sig barrel for it as well. if you are on the fence at all go for it. When times are good ,9mm comes back, all you need is a slide and 9mm barrel to change. But you probably won’t, once you go forty in a full size gun you save the 9 for deep concealment.
The P229 was 800 with one magazine so it’s a no. I’m not ruling out .40, just not now. I am a big fan of Sig’s though. I didn’t think I would start another caliber war, but then this is NES. Never fails to satisfy. I love it!

Last edited:
This is all so very silly... I never got a .40 mostly because of the cost of ammo verses 9mm. And if I was going to buy more expensive ammo and reduced mag capacity why not go for the for the full power 10mm? Hence I own 0x .40, 5x 9mm and 1x 10mm... also have a few other handguns 1x .17, 7x .22, 1x .22 mag, 1x .223, 1x .308 win, 3x .25, 1x 5.7x28, 1x .30 Carbine, 1x 7.62x25, 1x 7.62x39, 2x .380, 2x .357 mag, 2x .44 mag, 2x .45 ACP, 4x .45 LC, 1x .454, 1x .50 AE in Handguns... I might have miss one or two... but no .32, .357 Sig, or .40... Just remembered a 9mm Kahr K9... mind is going fast... can’t even remember what guns I have...

Last edited:
I was next to a guy shooting a .40 at Maspenock a few years back. I was standing there shooting and he shows up and started blasting away after he set up. I thought my eardrum was going to tear. Then I got pelted with shells. One of the shells went between my toes,(I was wearing sandals), that shell burned the hell out of my foot. Love it. I’m still a fan of the 9 but the .40 seems like it would be a fun round to shoot. Thinking it’s less popular may be obtainable during hoarding too. Although that’s one of the reasons I got the .32 was for availability and you can’t find it now. I do know a place that stock Gold Dots though. Wait, did I mention .32 in this thread? I meant .320.:oops:

The P229 was 800 with one magazine so it’s a no. I’m not ruling out .40, just not now. I am a big fan of Sig’s though. I didn’t think I would start another caliber war, but then this is NES. Never fails to satisfy. I love it!
This is all so very silly... I never got a .40 mostly because of the cost of ammo verses 9mm. And if I was going to buy more expensive ammo and reduced mag capacity why not go for the for the full power 10mm? Hence I own 0x .40, 4x 9mm and 1x 10mm... also have a few other handguns 1x .17, 7x .22, 1x .22 mag, 1x .223, 1x .308 win, 3x .25, 1x 5.7x28, 1x .30 Carbine, 1x 7.62x25, 1x 7.62x39, 2x .380, 2x .357 mag, 2x .44 mag, 2x .45 ACP, 4x .45 LC, 1x .454, 1x .50 AE in Handguns... I might have miss one or two... but no .32, .357 Sig, or .40...
Just read this after I posted. I am happy with my 2 .9’s. I should just jump to a 1911. I think I can just get a barrel conversion for my Beretta 92 if need be. What do you have for .25’s. I really like my .32 Seecamp.

the same bullet improvements that have gone into the 9 have gone into every other caliber.

That's certainly true, but now many people and police agencies included, now feel that a 9mm suffices whereas after the Miami shootout (rightly or wrongly) they did not. For those people looking for a more powerful round, they are at least equally likely to step up to 10mm or .45 ACP than the smallish boost they get from .40.

As evidence of how thinking changed, here is the post Miami shootout analysis done by the FBI in 1988, concluding that the ammunition of the time (with one exception) didn't provide sufficient penetration:

But even then, the report noted: "The choice between 9mm and .45 ultimately becomes one of weapon type and capacity, officer confidence and perception of weapon adequacy, and training and policy matters unrelated to ammunition effectiveness. Provided the 9mm subsonic round is used, there is no clear difference between the two calibers."

Fast forward to 2014, when the FBI decided to go back to 9mm. Here's that analysis:

I'll let others with more expertise address whether 9mm benefitted more from the improvements than other calibers, but I feel my boring answer is sufficient to explain .40's loss of market share.

Just read this after I posted. I am happy with my 2 .9’s. I should just jump to a 1911. I think I can just get a barrel conversion for my Beretta 92 if need be. What do you have for .25’s. I really like my .32 Seecamp.
Browning Baby, Bauer Baby Clone, Beretta Jetfire.

You are wrong about the wrong thing you say.

Lol, most of the differences are marginal. You can go back to early 2000s and easily find great ammo that existed in 9, .40, and .45 - the problem was going back into the 90s
even that handgun wound ballistics was not well understood as it is now. The entire .40 thing was a phantasm based on a perceived problem that existed and .40 was the "solution"
but it was soon exposed over the years via science and testing that .40 was basically a ham fisted solution to a misunderstood problem. Numerous LE "shoot failures" contributed to
this miasma of fart gas. People started asking good questions but only answering them with half assed solutions, and the industry was eager to please in terms of selling something that
there was a perceived need for.

Is it still a useful self defense caliber? Sure. But that doesn't stop it from being inherently 'tarded. I had a whole harem of .40 S&W handguns, and even
carried them. (2 x P229, 1 x USPc, 1 x USP full, 1 x P2000 LEM, G22Gen4).... Now all gone, and frankly the only one I sort of miss is the USP, because it was more or less designed
around the cartridge, same for the P229s ) There's no point in going back though, for most people. Even the one solid argument that remains "bweah buht I can get ammoz and cheapah used guns" is rapidly diminished. It had a lot of merit years ago, but not so much now. The post sandy-hook crowd ruined most of that.
I would be surprised if there is that much .40 in the channel, hell target sports has been completely blown out.... if there is still stuff around, its hidden in corners of the market. .40 fans
better get their crap yesterday, frankly, if they're leaning on that yarn... because it's not going to be long before that stuff is overpriced, too.

Basically this is .40 S&W after waking up in mid 2000s or so.... one day, this basically happened.... people need to just accept this reality....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kav7tifmyTg

That's certainly true, but now many people and police agencies included, now feel that a 9mm suffices whereas after the Miami shootout (rightly or wrongly) they did not. For those people looking for a more powerful round, they are at least equally likely to step up to 10mm or .45 ACP than the smallish boost they get from .40.
A huge selling point for the PDs was that the fotay and 9 used the same frame size.

This is all so very silly... I never got a .40 mostly because of the cost of ammo verses 9mm. And if I was going to buy more expensive ammo and reduced mag capacity why not go for the for the full power 10mm? Hence I own 0x .40, 4x 9mm and 1x 10mm... also have a few other handguns 1x .17, 7x .22, 1x .22 mag, 1x .223, 1x .308 win, 3x .25, 1x 5.7x28, 1x .30 Carbine, 1x 7.62x25, 1x 7.62x39, 2x .380, 2x .357 mag, 2x .44 mag, 2x .45 ACP, 4x .45 LC, 1x .454, 1x .50 AE in Handguns... I might have miss one or two... but no .32, .357 Sig, or .40...
[bow] [cheers]
I have always wanted a 7-08 or .308 Wichita. Haven't gotten one yet. Pics of your .308 please.
A couple points about the .40. Ayoob started to call it the .40 Short & Weak back when it came out. He has since changed his mind and please don't bad mouth Ayoob... like talking smack about Richard Petty, just cause they are old doesn't diminish their accomplishments (although Dale Earnhardt was the King in my mind). Also, DHS bought about five billion rounds of fortay a few years back...

What Miami shootout is everyone referring to?

[bow] [cheers]
I have always wanted a 7-08 or .308 Wichita. Haven't gotten one yet. Pics of your .308 please.
A couple points about the .40. Ayoob started to call it the .40 Short & Weak back when it came out. He has since changed his mind and please don't bad mouth Ayoob... like talking smack about Richard Petty, just cause they are old doesn't diminish their accomplishments (although Dale Earnhardt was the King in my mind). Also, DHS bought about five billion rounds of fortay a few years back...

The .308 is a IMI/Magnum Research Lone Eagle single shot pistol... it has a rotating breach, appropriate for a “Hand Cannon”, unfortunately no easy way to take a photo since it is part of my out of state collection along with the AR and AK pistols, the FN-57 , Glock 34 and bunch of others... that are illegal to bring to MA or the mags I have for them are illegal... or I just don’t have the space... 😢

Last edited:
have a kahr and glock in 40 and am a big fan of the 10 mm. in ma. would have to build a whole new rifle from an 80% receiver to have one in the ar platform that takes glock mags . i built a 40 cal glock mag stern conversion using a preban 98 do what you want with lower and even put an ar sylvan arms folding stock on it. the 40 in a rifle equals lower level 10 mm ballistics and buffalo bore makes a 40 that is equal to it.

40 has it's place. Those that say 9mm is just as effective, I say have never shot plates or pins with the 2 on the same day.
40 hits harder. Period. You can see it in solid targets.

40 recoil is so close to 45 that I can't tell the difference. If 40 is to much then 45 is also to much for you.

My favorite caliber is 45 but most days I carry a 9mm. 40 and 45 are not very well suited for compact and sub compact guns. Recoil doesn't bother me, but follow up shots are quicker in 9mm with a sub compact or micro pistol.

Different tools for different jobs. It's why they make hammers of varying size. Cobblers don't use 20 oz framing hammers on shoes.

Back
Top Bottom