• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why no .40?

I'm very happy with my 40's. I think the light weight plastic guns with the 40s hurt people's hands. I don't have direct experience in that theory because I own real steel guns. [smile]

Just thought I'd add a cup of gas to a smoldering fire. IBTL.

So I've been lurking in the classifieds in hopes of a unicorn (aka xds 9 4.0) to show up so I can buy my first gun. But it seems like half of what I've seen go up for sale is .40 handhuns of one sort or another. Why does it seem like so many are dumping .40? My guess would be the cost of ammo but Im I'm not to up on all that. Anyone else have a theory?

People on this site have some gay twisted hate of 40's. In one post they are girls guns made for limp wrested women, in other posts you'll find they 40's akin to SW500 recoil and hurt little fingers.

I just look at it as a buying opportunity site for 40 cal pistols at excellent prices.

Really? You'd buy a 40 over a 9mm just because it was $50 cheaper, and then spend 10 times that savings feeding it ammo? That doesn't make any sense at all.

I reload and cast my own bullets. The cost difference between 9mm and 40S&W for me if the cost of 0.5 grains of Unique.

Edit: For those who don't reload, the price difference between 9 and 40 practice ammo seems to be about 6 cents a road (Winchester white box from Cabelas). So a you'd break even after 833 rounds, assuming a $50 savings on the gun in 40. Judging from the quality of shooting I see at the range, many people do not fire 833 rounds in a lifetime, much less from one gun.

Last edited:
9mm - range toy, wife gun, or you realize SHTF = spray and pray.
.40 - you realize SHTF = spray and pray and you are not recoil shy
,45 - One and done. Period.
10mm - 9mm projectile + compensating for something

LOL, borrow, rent, whatever... Try and see what you like. I have all but a .40, which will probably be the slide caliber for my Glock frame project.

9mm - range toy, wife gun, or you realize SHTF = spray and pray.
.40 - you realize SHTF = spray and pray and you are not recoil shy
,45 - One and done. Period.
10mm - 9mm projectile + compensating for something

LOL, borrow, rent, whatever... Try and see what you like. I have all but a .40, which will probably be the slide caliber for my Glock frame project.
If you don't own a Gwock fotay, you're not cool.

So with a Seecamp, Sig 238, Glock 22 and 27, and a Springfield P-9 factory comp in 40, I must really be out of the cool operator loop... my only question is when they were developing the new wonder ammo for the 9mm, did they forget to make similar stuff in forty?

People can post ballistic gel tests all day long and talk about how .40 has 10% more energy than 9mm blah blah blah, but ultimately when it comes down to it, all of the service pistol calibers are equal at their ability to neutralize a threat. That means, it takes several well placed shots in vital areas, no matter if it's 9mm, .40, .357 SIG, .45, etc... Because of that, one can make a strong case for 9mm being the best option due to magazine capacity and lightest recoil allowing a quick followup.

Personally, I don't find .40 to offer anything over 9mm. It's snappier, and reduced capacity. I really tried to like my G22 enough to keep it, but decided to sell it to a friend the other day. I owned a G23 for all of a week last year, but found it even less enjoyable to shoot because of the smaller frame, obviously.

40 is the bastard offspring of 10mm. I'll stick to the original, and the ~1000ft/lbs it provides at the same magazine capacity in a Glock [smile]

While I only own 9mms, I don't really get a lot of the negativity directed at .40 that I see. It's established that it does as good of a job as any other pistol caliber. I'd actually like to buy a G22 if the price is right to "diversify my investments".

So I've been lurking in the classifieds in hopes of a unicorn (aka xds 9 4.0) to show up so I can buy my first gun. But it seems like half of what I've seen go up for sale is .40 handhuns of one sort or another. Why does it seem like so many are dumping .40? My guess would be the cost of ammo but Im I'm not to up on all that. Anyone else have a theory?
They heard all the fables about 9mm being better but weren't smart enough to throw in a .357sig barrel....whose mystery is exceeded only by it's power.

Last edited:
I bought my first .40 from a fellow NES'er back in December I believe. Now it's the only pistol I shoot which is mainly for USPSA. It's a STI custom build. I love it! It shoots so well. But, if I didn't shoot USPSA Limited Major, I would never buy a 40. I also do not plan on ever buying another 40 gun. 9mm does the trick well and costs less to reload for. All my 45s are pretty much dust collectors now too.

I must also be a dork as I'm currently carrying a M&P BG380. I love it!

Last edited:
At one time, 9mm JHP performance was relatively poor. With modern JHP designs like the Federal HST, there is basically no difference in terminal performance. So why put up with the extra cost, extra recoil, and lower capacity of .40 when 9mm is just as effective.

I dig .40S&W. Unfortunately I dig 45acp and 9mm more. however at this time factory 40 S&W ammo can be had for relatively cheap. to me this makes it much more attractive to shoot, especially out of a P229 or USP. personally I find most 180gr ammo very pleasant to shoot.

USPSA seems to be in the business of giving life to dead calibers.

First, it make the 38 super popular - and old obscure caliber nobody used until that game came along. Lately, 38 super has been fading as the newer 38 Supercomp is taking over (basically a 38 super without the semi-rim of the super).

It gives life to the 40 because limited has a .4 minimum caliber required for major power factor, and the heavy steel wide body 1911's handle the recoil quite nicely. If the .4 rule were abandoned, I suspect 9x19's would take over in limited division.

I dig .40S&W. Unfortunately I dig 45acp and 9mm more. however at this time factory 40 S&W ammo can be had for relatively cheap. to me this makes it much more attractive to shoot, especially out of a P229 or USP. personally I find most 180gr ammo very pleasant to shoot.

I love my 229 in 40! Shoots better than my Glock 19. I also had no problem finding 40 during all the panic buying when finding a box of 9mm was like finding a unicorn.

I think much of it has to do with how much shooting one does with a certain caliber. Since I've used .40 for CCW for years and obviously practice more with it, I find it more comfortable for me using a G23 or G27. My G22 is too big to carry. During the winter, I do switch back and forth with .40 and .45 for CCW. My G19 only gets used for steel pin shooting and target practice, although if I switched to 9mm for CCW, I'm sure that it would get the job done too.

Right now on ammunitiondepot.com, Federal HST 9mm is on sale from $26.87 to $24.87 and for Federal HST .40, the regular price is $24.97, so it's virtually a wash on the price. However, if the 9mm wasn't on sale, it would be more expensive than the .40. Go figure!

Last edited:
I'll take a .40 all day long, ammo is readily available, its everywhere, and it will most likely be more available than any other cartridge if and when the SHTF. Have no reason to own a 9mm, im not worried about $2 per box difference.
And if im technically limited to 10 rds, why not go a little bigger.

.45 is M'erica, thats it, no more no less. And im sick of hearing "all u need is one shot" please..... snap out of fantasy land.

9mm will kill a bear. With .40 the bear won't even come near you. If you don't believe me that's fine. But find me one person who has been attacked by a bear while carrying a .40. That's right you can't. Lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

USPSA seems to be in the business of giving life to dead calibers.

First, it make the 38 super popular - and old obscure caliber nobody used until that game came along. Lately, 38 super has been fading as the newer 38 Supercomp is taking over (basically a 38 super without the semi-rim of the super).

It gives life to the 40 because limited has a .4 minimum caliber required for major power factor, and the heavy steel wide body 1911's handle the recoil quite nicely. If the .4 rule were abandoned, I suspect 9x19's would take over in limited division.

.38 Super did have a distinct place in the market up until the 1950s and it still does south of the border. It wasn't .38 S&W obscure or 8mm Lebel Revolver obscure. I suspect you might see more .357 SIGs if you remove the .4 or bigger rule however it'd have .40 S&W mag sizes with a .357" bullet but a little more power than a 9x19.

9mm will kill a bear. With .40 the bear won't even come near you. If you don't believe me that's fine. But find me one person who has been attacked by a bear while carrying a .40. That's right you can't. Lol

You simply cannot argue this fact !!!

I believe this very topic may have been on Mythbusters several years back...proven. ;-)

I have three four-tays including a PM40 which some would consider a hand-grenade. It's all good. Some calibers kick/push/whack more than others...some make more noise than others...my 686 has been know to belch dragon fire given the right ammo...shoot all of it and be happy doing it. Choice is never a bad thing.

Back
Top Bottom