WI - What To Do With 58,000 Rounds Of Ammo?

In the wake of the breakup of the Police Department, city officials are trying to resolve a couple of nagging questions: What are they going to do with the 58,000 rounds of ammunition that are left over and why did the department stockpile so much?

>snip<

Additionally, Kraemer said, the department had been transitioning from having several different calibers of ammunition for handguns to having officers use the same caliber. The decision to use only .40 caliber also contributed to the stockpile, he said.

Full article HERE.

That is not substantially more ammo than what is in the closet of most of the readers on this board...

What are they going to do with the 58,000 rounds of ammunition that are left over and why did the department stockpile so much?

My first thought was "Why did they have so little on hand?" LOL Silly journalists.

A Waukesha County sheriff's lieutenant told city officials that a department the size of the former city department - about 25 officers - would need slightly fewer than 11,000 rounds of ammunition a year.

hmmmm.. that is only 440 rounds per year for each officer, or 37 rounds per month. That is not a whole lot of training every year. I can go thru 500 rounds in one afternoon of training. (I really do need to start reloading again!!)

I'm not sure about their state's qualification program, but NH qualifications (used to at least) require the shooting of about 300rds per officer. 25 Officers means 7,500 just for annual qualification. Equip each officier with 3 magazines (one in the grip + 2 on the belt) at 15rd / mag and you've got 1,125. That's 8,750rd with NO TRAINING.
The remaining 50k rounds would provide officers with less than 40rd / week each for training. That should be near the bare minimum we expect from those who are hired to protect the peace and uphold justice.

I'm not sure about their state's qualification program, but NH qualifications (used to at least) require the shooting of about 300rds per officer. 25 Officers means 7,500 just for annual qualification. Equip each officier with 3 magazines (one in the grip + 2 on the belt) at 15rd / mag and you've got 1,125. That's 8,750rd with NO TRAINING.
The remaining 50k rounds would provide officers with less than 40rd / week each for training. That should be near the bare minimum we expect from those who are hired to protect the peace and uphold justice.

Police training? In Wisconsin? Not likely. I'd lay money on them never EVER firing their weapons except to re-qual unless they are SWAT.

You saved me the math.

What worries me more than Pewaukee having barely enough ammo for a year's operations is the sheriff's lieutenant that thought it was FIVE TIMES TOO MUCH... Subtracting your 8k rounds would leave a whopping 3k rounds for 25 officers to train with for the year... How'd you like to be on HIS team....

If there's any 9mm in there I'd be in for a thousand or 2. I think I saw a bear the other day, never can be too safe. ;)

Police training? In Wisconsin? Not likely. I'd lay money on them never EVER firing their weapons except to re-qual unless they are SWAT.

I'll take that bet...[wink]

A Waukesha County sheriff's lieutenant told city officials that a department the size of the former city department - about 25 officers - would need slightly fewer than 11,000 rounds of ammunition a year.

The city disbanded its police department at the end of 2009 and began contracting with the Sheriff's Department for police to save an estimated $800,000 this year.

But Ald. H. Roger Hathaway, who is challenging Klein for mayor in the April 6 election, and former police officer Robert Kraemer both said having 58,000 rounds of ammo isn't out of the ordinary.

They said the sheriff's lieutenant's estimate based on 25 officers was low. Kraemer said the department had roughly 28 officers and another 10 lake patrol officers who did training shoots four times a year.

Hathaway, who opposed disbanding the Police Department, estimated about 30,000 rounds would have been spent during those shoots.

Some of the stockpile can be attributed to the fact two shooting sessions were canceled
because of budget cuts, Kraemer said.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/waukesha/87862017.html.

Back
Top Bottom