• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Will Flint Arms Negotiate?

They have a used gun on the rack that I'm interested in but it's a little overpriced IMO. Do they negotiate at all on their prices?
I've heard "no" through the grapevine but would like to know before deciding to bother or not.

make an offer? only real way to find out.

other people's experiences might not be yours.

bring cash!

Don't know anything about Flint, but most shops don't, or even if they do, they're not going to go very far on something, unless your a regular or draw a lot of water in that particular shop.... and if you were, you wouldn't be here asking the question. Most gun shops are in business to make money, not lose their shirts.

It doesn't hurt to ask but don't be surprised if someone gives you a look of disdain when you try to get the price lowered by $150. It's easier to just shop at places that have what you want at the price you want it at. (or at least can live with).

Also its worth knowing that with consignment stuff (not sure if they do this or not) the shop will probably be inflexible. They want to get their 15-20% or whatever it is they're asking the seller for.

-Mike

Don't know anything about Flint, but most shops don't, or even if they do, they're not going to go very far on something, unless your a regular or draw a lot of water in that particular shop.... and if you were, you wouldn't be here asking the question. Most gun shops are in business to make money, not lose their shirts.

It doesn't hurt to ask but don't be surprised if someone gives you a look of disdain when you try to get the price lowered by $150. It's easier to just shop at places that have what you want at the price you want it at. (or at least can live with).

Also its worth knowing that with consignment stuff (not sure if they do this or not) the shop will probably be inflexible. They want to get their 15-20% or whatever it is they're asking the seller for.

-Mike

This X2! I've always tried at various gun shops, with no success. I've even tried asking for a price match of local competitors w/ cash in hand... and still been denied. The only place I've seen gun shops negotiate are at gun shows... and even then it's like pulling teeth.

Best of luck, it doesn't hurt to ask!

With used guns it will definitely depend upon whether they are owned by the shop or consignment. With a consignment piece they only have whatever price range the person selling it gave them to work with. If its owned by them, there's more room. Of course the other factors like condition, rarity and popularity and the posted price will enter into it, but if its been there for a while they may be more motivated to entertain an offer.

IMO it NEVER hurts to say something like 'would you take $xxx for this' of 'what's the lowest price you can give me on this'. I was pleasantly surprised the last 2 times I did this on a used gun at 2 different shops and got the guns for UNDER what I was willing to pay for them simply for asking. So go ask but do so in person and ready to buy if they bite, just don't do a silly low-ball like $200 for a gun marked $400. Offer a little under what you're willing to pay and expect a counter.

I usually just ask, "Is there anything you can do for me on the price?"

Gauge their reaction. If they say outright "No, we don't do that" you have your answer. If you get the "Eh, not really", there's usually wiggle room. If they come back with a lower number, game on.

And if you're going to try and negotiate, two tips: 1) Bring cash and 2) a C&R FFL for eligible guns. Try and negotiate if you're paying by credit card can work sometimes, but can also be viewed as rude and doesn't help your bargaining position.

And if you're going to try and negotiate, two tips: 1) Bring cash and 2) a C&R FFL for eligible guns.

This

And if it is a consigned gun there may be a asking price and a bottom line price. I've had other stores deal. Carl will deal at Four Seasons. If you make an offer he will call the owner with the offer. Zero Hour will not deal and I suspect Flint will not either. Flint is the most expensive shop in the area.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. FWIW, this isn't my first rodeo. I've purchased hundreds of guns in my 35 year collecting carrier. I know the drill well and certainly wouldn't insult any shop with a lowball offer. Just wondering if anyone had actual experience here. So far, I'm not hearing anything different.

Thanks for the input. FWIW, this isn't my first rodeo. I've purchased hundreds of guns in my 35 year collecting carrier. I know the drill well and certainly wouldn't insult any shop with a lowball offer. Just wondering if anyone had actual experience here. So far, I'm not hearing anything different.

What you're asking is subjective: depends on whom you talk to, what firearm it is, what they paid for said firearm, what day of the week it is, what the guy you're talking to had for breakfast, an infinite number of things. Just go and ask.

Zero Hour will not deal and I suspect Flint will not either. Flint is the most expensive shop in the area.

I've never paid full boat at Zero Hour. I'm certain there are things shops can't budge on but...Hey it can't hurt to ask. Obviously if their asking $500 don't offer them $300. Asking for $25 off isn't seen as low balling.

I've never paid full boat at Zero Hour. I'm certain there are things shops can't budge on but...Hey it can't hurt to ask. Obviously if their asking $500 don't offer them $300. Asking for $25 off isn't seen as low balling.

come on!, I didn't think it was possible for a shop to be more expensive then zero

+1 on bring cash. If the shop doesn't have to pay a CC processing fee they may give you a little room. Not much, but something.

I HAVE negotiated myself with Flint. But I was trading in one rifle and buying something else. So there was likely more room there for them. I find them to be nice. But some fellas there don't seem to have either the authority or knowledge. Others do. So it may depend on who you get too.

If you're looking for cheap prices (eg, market floor) you're in the wrong region of MA. With limited exceptions most of the shops down there suffer from captive audience syndrome (which is now worse, due to CT becoming more communist and RI's wait period/phoning the cops whenever you buy a gun thing) and I can't blame them- there's an endless stream of people in that part of the state willing to pay them because they're too lazy to drive somewhere else.

-Mike

-Mike
I know that Four Seasons will contact the consignee with any sane offer on a gun in the used case for a decision. They don't have room to negotiate on the new guns since they work on a relatively small markup on those - but on consignment, the cut is always 18%.

+1 on bring cash. If the shop doesn't have to pay a CC processing fee they may give you a little room. Not much, but something.

I HAVE negotiated myself with Flint. But I was trading in one rifle and buying something else. So there was likely more room there for them. I find them to be nice. But some fellas there don't seem to have either the authority or knowledge. Others do. So it may depend on who you get too.

Probably because direct trade-ins nearly always result in rape for the customer, so they probably wiggled a little for you because of that alone. If a dealer didn't wiggle at least a few points on the price of the new gun I'd just walk at that point, then again I think in the past 10 years I can count on one hand where I've done a trade in... and that was usually involving a gun that was more or less un-sellable otherwise.

-Mike

it depends on the store

i know of one if you hit right after about 12-2pm, you can usually haggle as they just had lunch and are in a good mood.

Other times i just ask that they give me the OTD price. I like private sales the best, you can find deals

I know that Four Seasons will contact the consignee with any sane offer on a gun in the used case for a decision. They don't have room to negotiate on the new guns since they work on a relatively small markup on those - but on consignment, the cut is always 18%.

Yes, very true... forgot about that... I've been on both sides of that. I sold a gun there once just by coming down $20 on the asking price, apparently it fit within the parameters of someone's paycheck. [laugh]

-Mike

the stores around here in idaho will typically work with you. one had a mauser i wanted really bad but it had a 320$ price tag. i said i can order it online for 219 then pay u the 25$ transfer an get it a lot cheaper. they bumped it down to 250. cash in hand bought it right there

I was at a now defunct shop with a friend when he offered $50 more than the Four Seasons price for a new gun (asking price was $100 more, but Four Seasons was quite a hike). The shop said "no", an then complained about "irresponsible dealers whoring out the industry selling guns too cheap". I asked the owner if he exercised caution to only buy from distributors that charged a fair markup, and not anyone hurting the wholesale business by selling too cheap. He told me that "was different". Four Seasons made the sale.

If I remember correctly there used to be a sign on the wall at flint that specifically said no negotiating on price. I don't go there very much because I had a little falling out with owner over the price of a used pistol. Pretty much the same scenario the op is mentioning. I called him out on pricing and he flipped his lid. I still go in occasionally to look around. I can't recall if sign is still there though. Like others have said, some people there are clueless and lack any authority. If you ask you might get a response of "you need to ask owner........but he is not here". Even if he is there sometimes you get that. Don't understand why. Like I said, I don't go in much so maybe things have changed???

ive been to four seasons numerous times

it's nothing to write home about.

all gun shops in mass suck in their own unique way and they have nothing on the shops you will find in free states.

Couple people have mentioned bringing your 03 C&R license. What does that do for you (in a gun shop I mean, not overall)?

ive been to four seasons numerous times

it's nothing to write home about.

all gun shops in mass suck in their own unique way and they have nothing on the shops you will find in free states.

Ya we all know MA sucks

4S is the best your gonna get in MA, I travel an hour to go there cuz there prices can't be beat

Back
Top Bottom