• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winter Warrior 2020 - 2021 Postal Match for Iron Sight Military Rifles

Damn! Now I have to break out my K31 and K11 and head to the range again. [laugh] I'll have to use PPU ammo though as I'm not breaking into any of my GP-11.

One of these days I'm going to find Berdan primers for the bazzillion GP-11 cases I have. Either that or I'll pay someone to convert them to Boxer. I am in pretty good shape for GP-11 now, but it took some work and some favors from NES friends.

Took the Romanian and Yugo SKS out today at lunch.
Shot the Yugo first.
First 2 sighters went high then I grossly over adjusted the front sight for Low sighter #3 then not really enough on the 4th I said screw it held center bull and shot for score
92/100
6B5DEB1A-2106-4C79-9F25-4B1B715039EB.jpeg

UP next is the Romanian I did not bother trying to sight it in , some other day
Picture posted upside down?
1st shot was low 8 so I just put it on the “battle” setting and let the rounds fly.
77/100

C7E15962-40B1-4C51-9A84-3F02D262D13D.jpeg

Took the Romanian and Yugo SKS out today at lunch.
Shot the Yugo first.
First 2 sighters went high then I grossly over adjusted the front sight for Low sighter #3 then not really enough on the 4th I said screw it held center bull and shot for score
92/100
View attachment 457194

UP next is the Romanian I did not bother trying to sight it in , some other day
Picture posted upside down?
1st shot was low 8 so I just put it on the “battle” setting and let the rounds fly.
77/100

View attachment 457195
Both shoot better than I would have expected, but that Yugo grouping looks pretty damn good.

I should probably get the FEG AK out for this before the cold temps and/or snow are gone. Need to do a quick touch up on the chamber reaming first, however.

Both shoot better than I would have expected, but that Yugo grouping looks pretty damn good.

I should probably get the FEG AK out for this before the cold temps and/or snow are gone. Need to do a quick touch up on the chamber reaming first, however.
I think all that shit hanging off the front of the yugo acts as a Tuna
The yugo has a much better trigger.
The Romanian looks like it actually seen service. Stock has a big crack and the trigger needs help. I think if I could find a nice stock and do something with the trigger, plus I was a bit of a rush by rhe time I shot the Rom.
Either way I have had good luck with my sks and AK variants.
most have been able to hold the black. Especially with good ammo , I shot Golden Tiger.
thought I had some Lapua 763x39 but cant find it or the brass from the stuff I had years ago.

Last edited:
CMP SURPLUS, so it counts!!!! 91/100/1X
10.9361 yards SR target reduced , Off hand JSB match
Off hand practice for me. I have some slow fire prone reduced tarets for 25 yards I will do when its warmer
Favoring low and left so I will add a few minutes up and right for next time
6580E7C4-B162-469A-8A3E-371EB311055D.jpeg AD4B90F3-8E7F-4ADC-8072-D75266ED4983.jpeg 948BDCA4-790D-4D38-AB42-8D4BC6810490.jpeg

Last edited:
CMP SURPLUS, so it counts!!!! 91/100/1X
10.9361 yards SR target reduced , Off hand JSB match
Off hand practice for me. I have some slow fire prone reduced tarets for 25 yards I will do when its warmer
Favoring low and left so I will add a few minutes up and right for next time
View attachment 458349View attachment 458350View attachment 458351

Good way to preserve that precious ammo. Tempted to get one of those but I think that M1A pellet rifle covers the need for now.

LOL, what is that? (Was that?)
90s vintage Benjamin 397, needed a new pump seal. Fixed it up for a friend.
8 gn pellet a touch over 800fps,

Shoots the crosman premier 10 gn pellets the best. They are around 720fps.
This thing has been very active for 20+ years.
Usually sports a williams rear peep, i tossed the scope on for testing.

Well, was cold enough yesterday morning for a Winter Warrior shoot (30˚) so I went early to the range not expecting to see any snow remaining. Needn't have worried, still plenty in the shade there. This time I wanted to bring my extra Garand I haven't shot ever. Has an Italian upgraded barrel and trigger job done after I got it last year and wanted to try it out. It has a CMP stock with someone's idea of wood finish on it. Someday I will strip it and use (probably) BLO. I started at 50 yards. (No pics) After some fooling around with the sights and on paper at least, I moved out to 100 yards. First target first shot a 7 at 11 o'clock then 2 8's at 11:30. Moved the elevation down resulting in another 8 at 8 o'clock. Rest in the black but somewhat scattered. Second target had two shots left of center mid target so I adjusted one click right. Third target first shot an 8 again to the left. Me (the Yips) I am sure, then another 16 rounds on this one. They seemed to group better as more shots fired. Last target had less wind as it had calmed down. Maybe settling better in the stock. Also I think 48 gr of H4895 seems tighter than 50 gr same powder. Some pics...

Attachments

• IMG_3185.JPG
    IMG_3185.JPG
    786.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3186.JPG
    IMG_3186.JPG
    836.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3188.JPG
    IMG_3188.JPG
    510.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3189.JPG
    IMG_3189.JPG
    429.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3190.JPG
    IMG_3190.JPG
    775.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3191.JPG
    IMG_3191.JPG
    462.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3193.JPG
    IMG_3193.JPG
    444.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3194.JPG
    IMG_3194.JPG
    401.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Been trying to find those dam 125 TNTs for over a year!
I have a bunch of some sort of 125's that I bought cheap to load up 300 BLK. Hopefully I have enough 125 SMK's left to make a full match batch for the K31. I burned up some at the Leominster match. I could use a basement reloading troll session tonight- pissed at my older kid and wife for siding with him.

I have a bunch of some sort of 125's that I bought cheap to load up 300 BLK. Hopefully I have enough 125 SMK's left to make a full match batch for the K31. I burned up some at the Leominster match. I could use a basement reloading troll session tonight- pissed at my older kid and wife for siding with him.
135 smk for k31 sitting and waiting

The TNT's are what I have been using for as long as you've known me. I have some Sierra Varminters (110 gr) that seem to be a little more accurate, but Franco says 125gr minimum for 200 yards. Either shoots better than I can. I have lots of the TNT mostly gotten when I have received in-stock notifications from a certain vendor who sometimes offers free shipping on orders over $49

Looks like they currently have 130 gr. Speer Varmint .308 JHP for .19/ea. / $18.99/100 limit of 2 boxes...These might be worth a try?

EDIT: Meh, after shipping & tax it's around $25/box of 100

Last edited:
The TNT's are what I have been using for as long as you've known me. I have some Sierra Varminters (110 gr) that seem to be a little more accurate, but Franco says 125gr minimum for 200 yards. Either shoots better than I can. I have lots of the TNT mostly gotten when I have received in-stock notifications from a certain vendor who sometimes offers free shipping on orders over $49
Well maybe that explains those old stock 168 SMK's you sold me. Based on some quick measurements that lot is much more consistent than any new lot I have checked. Used those to shoot a 170 with the 1903 in a winter offhand match- that's basically shooting two 85's in a row without a break in between. They will all stay within the 10-ring off the bench.

Looks like they currently have 130 gr. Speer Varmint .308 JHP for .19/ea. / $18.99/100 limit of 2 boxes...These might be worth a try?

EDIT: Meh, after shipping & tax it's around $25/box of 100
110s are fine at 200 yards, my K31 especially ! Maybe a bit troublesome at a wide open range prone to high crosswinds

Shot a few more Finns this past weekend. I had just annealed my 7.62x54r brass for the first time (after 6 firings) and I think I may need to make some adjustments to my load because I had some weird fliers, particularly in my M39 and (to a lesser extent) M27, both of which have the larger 'D' chamber.

M28 - 84-2x?

I count 9 holes though there may be a 2-in-1 there. I don't think I yanked one off the paper because I didn't see any extra hits when I pulled my target. Either way, it's a good group except for the two I pulled into the 8 ring.
1.jpg

M27 - 91-1x

Couple of fliers into the 8 ring which I don't think was me :confused:
2.jpg

M39 #1 - 90-0x

Not a great group for the M39 IMO. Again, some weird fliers in the 8 ring....particularly the one at the top
3.jpg

M39 #2 - 87-1x

Pretty ugly group too with a few low and some vertical stringing.
4.jpg

Shot a few more Finns this past weekend. I had just annealed my 7.62x54r brass for the first time (after 6 firings) and I think I may need to make some adjustments to my load because I had some weird fliers, particularly in my M39 and (to a lesser extent) M27, both of which have the larger 'D' chamber.

M28 - 84-2x?

I count 9 holes though there may be a 2-in-1 there. I don't think I yanked one off the paper because I didn't see any extra hits when I pulled my target. Either way, it's a good group except for the two I pulled into the 8 ring.
View attachment 460633

M27 - 91-1x

Couple of fliers into the 8 ring which I don't think was me :confused:
View attachment 460634

M39 #1 - 90-0x

Not a great group for the M39 IMO. Again, some weird fliers in the 8 ring....particularly the one at the top
View attachment 460636

M39 #2 - 87-1x

Pretty ugly group too with a few low and some vertical stringing.
View attachment 460637
MYbe your eyes where getting tired quick?

Rounding up the gear now, try to sneak out while the winds are bit calm.
M1 and a fresh can of HXP to crack open.
Prone with sling , not sure if i will sport the shooting coat

I like to open the tins feom the bottom so they keep the uo opened look, put them on a shelf for decoration and such. Just be careful dont poke around in there with your trigger finger. I will make a cleaner cut and dress it up with a file image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
Rounding up the gear now, try to sneak out while the winds are bit calm.
M1 and a fresh can of HXP to crack open.
Prone with sling , not sure if i will sport the shooting coat

I like to open the tins feom the bottom so they keep the uo opened look, put them on a shelf for decoration and such. Just be careful dont poke around in there with your trigger finger. I will make a cleaner cut and dress it up with a file View attachment 461122View attachment 461123
Probably could have opened the bottom with one of those GI keychain can openers.

image.jpg
This particular rifle has never seen surplus M2 ball and it did not like it! This is my JCG as issued built rifle Criterion 1/10 barrel, DGR stock and a Fratalian trigger

HXP on clips and Bando’s 1972
Shot slow fire, SLED
First picture
Walked my 5 sighters in 2 shots went high brought it down some next 2 shots went high 9 ring last sighter went high left 10 ring OK good enough proceeded to shoot the last 11 rounds of 16
That right side 7 is what Im talking about that HXP flyer!
I know its the ammo my off shots are always left or a elevation issue.
That 8 was my 5th shot
94/1X
80C4C894-6FEC-4EA7-A013-9E5FFB028215.jpeg
2nd target was not forgiving at all.

Rifle cooled down for about 15 minutes , shot another 16 rounds and got this!?!
This is what my off hand usually looks like
5C8BBD00-FE0F-4C13-99F5-55E4066B0FF3.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom