• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Worcester Pistol and Rifle Club

Hello,

Interested in Joining WP&R. Will there be someone around tonight if I were to swing by to check out the facilities?

BTT, I'm going to stop by, hopefully someone will be there to answer at least a few basic questions!

email the club and someone will respond to you. They hold monthly new member orientations that are manditory and monthly meetings to vote in new members. They don't do any new member voting in Jan. Earliest you can get voted in now is Feb 7. You MUST attend a new hire orientation 1st. I believe there is one on the 31st. Email expressing your interest and plan on attending.

Starvin, when are you going? there is usually nobody there. I live nearby and can meet you.

I planned to leave here @5, which would get me there about 5:15.

No one usually shoots on weeknight!?

If you would be willing to show me around, that would be great, but I certainly don't want to impose!

-Greg

bumper crop of memberships tonight

Hi Folks, you're reading the post of one of WPRC's newest members!

There were about 42 at orientation last month, and close to 40 showed up tonight for membership. Now all I gotta do is wait for my LTC to arrive...in March [sad] ( I hope)

There is a push on to renovate the club, it seems. Given it is one of the older ones around, facilities are a bit dated. I hope to become involved in helping with that moving forward.

Seems like a good bunch of folks. Can't wait to get involved more.

WPRC is a great club. Unfortunately I let my membership go because I can't get out there very often. Maybe I will go back in the future. Have fun and enjoy it.

Hi Folks, you're reading the post of one of WPRC's newest members!

There were about 42 at orientation last month, and close to 40 showed up tonight for membership. Now all I gotta do is wait for my LTC to arrive...in March [sad] ( I hope)

There is a push on to renovate the club, it seems. Given it is one of the older ones around, facilities are a bit dated. I hope to become involved in helping with that moving forward.

Seems like a good bunch of folks. Can't wait to get involved more.

I have not been able to get out to WPRC in months.. but you are right.. the people I have had a chance to meet when I'm able to make it out are all great people who seems to just love to shoot. All seem to beg you to try and shoot what they have! Hope to start getting out more! Welcome to the club!

WPRC are nice guys except for one of the committee members. I got divorced from his god daughter and out of spite never got my renewal ppwk mailed. I showed up at the club one time and my key didnt work. This was after about 10 hours invested in work-party work towards a reduction in the following year's renewal fees.

Politics in that place suck.........

I have moved on but that situation still angers me (it has been a few years since this happened).

It appeared to me they want your money only if you dont get divorced from family of members that have influence in the club's inner workings

No offense to John Green who I knew from that club, GOAL and Mike's Gun Shop transactions.

Last edited:
Well and that ..and if you do not renew on time ..there is a $96 re-instatement fee.. I don't really have a big problem ... IF they pro-rate ! We are in times of economic crunch!!!!! Oh well my fault should have made sure all my mail got forwarded to new address!!! Sa la Vi !

Wanted to post a quick thanks to those of you that shared the rifle range with me on Monday morning/afternoon.

Had a good time, met a lot of good folks, learned a lot, and got the opportunity to try out some particularly nice firearms. Definitely glad I joined this club.

Thanks,
-Paul

Im new to the Worcester area and would really like to get involved with a close by gun club, it sounds like this is the right place. How does one get involved, Im looking to get in asap.

Can any members give me the scoop on what to expect during the application process? I submitted my paperwork to WPRC about 5 weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet...thought I'd better check, so I left a voicemail message in their general mailbox last week and haven't heard back. Should I be doing something else or is it normal to wait a bit longer before checking back in with them?

Just wanted to give an update.

Chopper showed me around WPRC today; He's a very nice guy. We took turns shooting each others' pistols, and he even brought out the M1 Garand [smile] and let me shoot a whole bunch of clips. That was fantastic.

He also introduced me to a couple of members who were there today. All great guys, very friendly. I plan to apply to the club and attend the next new member meeting. All around great club; Would recommend anyone to check it out!

-Matt

Harvard Sportsmen's Club has a pretty large and active group of IDPA shooters. Mike Joffe is the contact person there.

Perhaps you may want to join HSC as well. Ckeck out there website.

WPR Club

Hi ztargetshooter, I am almost positive that WPR club meets the first Thursday of each month at 7:30PM, check to be sure on the time. If you go to the April meeting they will tell you when the next orientaion will be, also it is posted inside the club house. When you enter the club house it will be directly across from the door you entered in on a blackboard I beleive. I used to be a member there until I moved away from Shrewsbury. It is a great range and has a 24 hour indoor pistol range.
The outdoor range is as follows, Far left side is a pistol range, had a type of screen material for your targets and had a roof overhead with table for your stuff, Middle range open to IDPA type shooting with put in place targets, had metal pepper popper targets when I was there, fine for pistol, shotguns, AR's, I like this middle range alot, *You will have to bring your own target stands for this midddle range, Far right side range is the 100yrd rifle range, also is a 75, 50, and 25yrd targets.
Mulitple shooting seats and has a roof over head, gun racks, but is open to the elements from all side.
There are very high berms on the left, and middle ranges so you are relativly isolated when in your area.
The indoor pistol range is nice with hand crank retractable targets. Jacketed ammo only inside, heat and full ventilation also, switch is on the left hand side in the range.
Remember though WPR is a Shooting club, no bar at this one. The club I belong to has a bar and it keeps the membership fees way down due to the extra income, WPR club was getting pricey at the time. I have never had a problem there and everyone I ever met was very nice and always offered to let me shoot their guns. If I did not move out of Shrewsbury I would have stayed a member. The meetings are fun and the raffle prizes are good, ammo, shooting supplies, etc...the best is the cash prizes. I won the $100 once and a box of ammo in the same night....I was psyched!

*UPDATE* Address an email to Brian Frappier [email protected] He is the Membership Chair and he will answer all of your questions about membership and orientaion.
I had my orientaion with him. He and his wife are great people.

*From their site*
The club was founded in 1916 in Worcester Massachusetts. The club was originally located in a factory building and the facilities at that time consisted only of an indoor range. The club moved to Shrewsbury in order to add an outdoor range and, in the 1940's, bought the current 17 acre site.

* 7-position Indoor Pistol Range
* Heated Clubhouse
* Restroom
* Security Allows Access to Members Only
* 100 yard outdoor rifle range - Covered shooting lines
* 50 yard outdoor pistol range - Covered shooting lines

Good luck.

-op

Hi all,

I have a couple questions about the WPRC.

I'm a new gun owner and am looking to join a good club. WPRC is by far the closest as I live in Worcester.

I was wondering if anyone has any pictures of the ranges that I could check out?

To join the WPRC the website notes that a scheduled orientation is required but I didn't see any listed on the calendar. Does anyone know if these are held frequently?

I'm curious as I hope to join a range sooner rather than later so I don't have to continue driving an hour to drop $20 a trip at S&W.

Any info would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Had a few questions I couldn't seem to find on the website...

1.) Initiation fee, membership fee, and required work hours/alternative to?
2.) General outdoor range rules?
- Can I bring target stands and set them up 5 or 6 yards away or can they only be placed at specific distances right on a berm? For close pistol and newbies shooting my AR that want to actually see what they are hitting.
- Plinking items allowed outdoors? Things like clays and whatnot.

Had a few questions I couldn't seem to find on the website...

1.) Initiation fee, membership fee, and required work hours/alternative to?
2.) General outdoor range rules?
- Can I bring target stands and set them up 5 or 6 yards away or can they only be placed at specific distances right on a berm? For close pistol and newbies shooting my AR that want to actually see what they are hitting.
- Plinking items allowed outdoors? Things like clays and whatnot.

1. About $140. (less if you go to the work parties.) Must be a GOAL Member
2. Target stands - Sure and as close as you want them.
Plinking Sure just clean up your mess.
Clays- sure

Hope this helps.[smile]

I just became a member and couldn't be happier...shot at the club my first time last week and ready for more! Nice bunch of people at the last meeting, too!

Back
Top Bottom