WWB Quality Control

9mm short?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

I have a box of 9mm WWB that contains brass in varying quantities with two different head stamps...

If you take the time to write them they will send you free ammo and make it right, least that is what I've seen.

Hmm. I've probably shot 2500+ rounds of WWB 9mm through my Glock. Never once had an issue or a weird round.

If you haven't found a ****ed up round, a loose piece of brass, or a bullet in a box of WWB, or been shorted 2 or 3 rounds, then you haven't shot a lot of WWB.

I'm not saying it's bad ammo... actually on the whole it is pretty good. 9mm WWB works the guns a lot better than crap like UMC etc, does.

-Mike

Hmm. I've probably shot 2500+ rounds of WWB 9mm through my Glock. Never once had an issue or a weird round.

I had one WWB 9mm round where the case was crushed a bit as the bullet was seated. The shooter didn't notice, and loaded the round. It failed to go into battery. He tapped the slide in an attempt to chamber the round. This was a 240-lb offensive tackle, so his "tap" was substantial. I was called to the line to deal with the jam. He'd already removed the mag. No amount of pulling or pushing on the slide could produce any movement. I cleared it by resting the slide against a wooden table, carefully keeping the barrel clear and pointed in a safe direction. I slowly put my full body weight against the grip, and that amount of force moved the slide back and freed the round. No harm done.

I've taught and coached for years, including many cases of 9mm WWB. I've had gun parts break many times, and my share of ammunition failures, pierced primers, etc. Other than squibs, this was the only time a bad round rendered a gun un-shootable. I inspect my carry ammo more carefully now.

I should note that I've never found a problem like this in the high-end carry ammo. WWB is low-cost practice ammo, so I don't expect the same level of quality control that I expect for the high-end stuff.

Sold by weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may occur during shipping.
That's one of the new button-head wadcutters!

Actually, just set this round aside if you intend to make a complaint to Winchester or simply pass it along to someone that reloads and they'll recycle the round.

Last edited:
An HK would fire that.

It's hard to see from the picture, but the bullet bulged the case from within. The case wall gets thicker toward the base, and the bullet hit this thicker wall and bulged it out. So I don't think it would chamber. If it did, I don't know if there's any powder in there. If there is, it might be massively compressed. Some powders don't like to be compressed. I wouldn't fire this in any gun.

I had one WWB 9mm round where the case was crushed a bit as the bullet was seated. The shooter didn't notice, and loaded the round. It failed to go into battery. He tapped the slide in an attempt to chamber the round. This was a 240-lb offensive tackle, so his "tap" was substantial. I was called to the line to deal with the jam. He'd already removed the mag. No amount of pulling or pushing on the slide could produce any movement. I cleared it by resting the slide against a wooden table, carefully keeping the barrel clear and pointed in a safe direction. I slowly put my full body weight against the grip, and that amount of force moved the slide back and freed the round. No harm done.

I've taught and coached for years, including many cases of 9mm WWB. I've had gun parts break many times, and my share of ammunition failures, pierced primers, etc. Other than squibs, this was the only time a bad round rendered a gun un-shootable. I inspect my carry ammo more carefully now.

I should note that I've never found a problem like this in the high-end carry ammo. WWB is low-cost practice ammo, so I don't expect the same level of quality control that I expect for the high-end stuff.

I don't think anyone here thinks for a second that WWB is in the same universe as even moderate quality carry ammo. When looking at the quality (relatively speaking) of WWB, I measure it against other range FMJ with a similar price point in the $.24-.28/round range. The malfunction you just described... I experienced three of those in a 100-round tub of Tula BrassMAXX. I had to do the same thing each time. I'd rest my rear sight on a wooden beam and slam the grip forward (muzzle aimed downrange). Like you said the case was crushed a bit at the front.

With WWB I've never had a failure to feed, fire, or extract. To drgrant's point I've never counted to make sure a 100 round box was really 100 rounds, so it's quite possible I've been short changed. That being said, 3 rounds short would still make it less than $.28/round, which is the most I'll pay for range ammo, so that works for me.

Back
Top Bottom