Yankee Artifacts? Anyone know about them?

That's the most it ever should cost - but I've heard quotes as high as $45 for the 5 minutes of paperwork involved.

Don't forget that if you're a member of GOAL, you can also transfer in through "Mike's Gun Shop" for $20.00

KK

That's the most it ever should cost - but I've heard quotes as high as $45 for the 5 minutes of paperwork involved.

Don't forget that if you're a member of GOAL, you can also transfer in through "Mike's Gun Shop" for $20.00

KK

Yankee Artifacts

I took a look at that web page, interesting, only thing that concerns me is the use of a P.O. Box and the absence of any names of people.
It goes beyond just that. The owner of the domain has paid a few extra $$ to register the domain by a proxy server which maintains secrecy of the identity of the registrant.

OK - you guys are on the right track. The owner is working with Peter and will be opening up a storefront soon in Northboro. It's just going to take a while longer to get everything set up.
Are you at liberty to use a name rather than just refer to "the owner"?

hat's the most it ever should cost - but I've heard quotes as high as $45 for the 5 minutes of paperwork involved.
That's 5 minutes of work and a lifetime as a potential defendant in any litigation alleging the dealer should not have sold the gun, as well as the lost opportunity to make a retail sale. I wouldn't do it for $20 even if it were still possible to have a home business. I can't think of any other retail business where you can go to the supplier and not get laughed at if you go in and ask "please use your business license to purchase the product I need from a wholesaler; let me pay the invoice directly; and I'll gladly give you $20 for your trouble." Just try that at a bicycle or scuba shop :)

---------------------------------

The name "Peter Dowd" carries a lot of negative baggage for a couple of reasons. It is my understanding that Mr. Dowd lobbied for the "bonded warehoue" provision, and then proceeded to charge fees which are "excessively entreprenurial" as one notable individual put it. A small 20 handgun collection which will fit in a couple of boxes will generate $300 in monthly storage fees, and will cost $645 if you have the Village Vault transfer it to another LTC holder immediately after transfer.

This reminds me of Bill Ruger lobbying for the magazine capacity limit to "save Ruger's little gun".

Another things which did not impress me was the condescending manner in which the shop personel treated patrons - they never seemed to realize there were customers who knew as much about firearms as they did.

So..... it would be doing everyone a service if someone who knows the exact relationship between Yankee and Peter Dowd could post that information.

Yankee Artifacts

I took a look at that web page, interesting, only thing that concerns me is the use of a P.O. Box and the absence of any names of people.
It goes beyond just that. The owner of the domain has paid a few extra $$ to register the domain by a proxy server which maintains secrecy of the identity of the registrant.

OK - you guys are on the right track. The owner is working with Peter and will be opening up a storefront soon in Northboro. It's just going to take a while longer to get everything set up.

hat's the most it ever should cost - but I've heard quotes as high as $45 for the 5 minutes of paperwork involved.
That's 5 minutes of work and a lifetime as a potential defendant in any litigation alleging the dealer should not have sold the gun, as well as the lost opportunity to make a retail sale. I wouldn't do it for $20 even if it were still possible to have a home business. I can't think of any other retail business where you can go to the supplier and not get laughed at if you go in and ask "please use your business license to purchase the product I need from a wholesaler; let me pay the invoice directly; and I'll gladly give you $20 for your trouble." Just try that at a bicycle or scuba shop :)

The name "Peter Dowd" carries a lot of negative baggage for a couple of reasons. It is my understanding that Mr. Dowd lobbied for the "bonded warehoue" provision, and then proceeded to charge fees which are "excessively entreprenurial" as one notable individual put it. A small 20 handgun collection which will fit in a couple of boxes will generate $300 in monthly storage fees, and will cost $645 if you have the Village Vault transfer it to another LTC holder immediately after transfer.

This reminds me of Bill Ruger lobbying for the magazine capacity limit to "save Ruger's little gun".

Another things which did not impress me was the condescending manner in which the shop personel treated patrons - they never seemed to realize there were customers who knew as much about firearms as they did.

So..... it would be doing everyone a service if someone who knows the exact relationship between Yankee and Peter Dowd could post that information.

Yankee Artifacts

I'll contact "the owner" and try to get some answers for everyone.

Regarding the secrecy of the domain registration, please realize that when the site was first brought on-line, someone "pirated" the address (not sure of the technical term) so that when you typed it you were directed to an anti-gun website. "The Owner" wanted to avoid that happening again.

I don't know anything about the history of Peter Dowd, so I couldn't comment on it.

And I understand the analogy with bicycle shops and transfers, but I think the ridiculous gun laws in this state cause some peculiar business practices to emerge. I also think transfers allow shop owners to bring in new business by showing first-time customers what they have to offer, and by providing a valued service. I'm sure many transfer customers pick up their guns and leave, but I'm sure many more pick up a few "accessories" like holsters, mags, ammo, targets, etc... as well. And if they're treated fairly, they keep coming back for more.

KK

Regarding the secrecy of the domain registration, please realize that when the site was first brought on-line, someone "pirated" the address (not sure of the technical term) so that when you typed it you were directed to an anti-gun website. "The Owner" wanted to avoid that happening again.

I don't know anything about the history of Peter Dowd, so I couldn't comment on it.

And I understand the analogy with bicycle shops and transfers, but I think the ridiculous gun laws in this state cause some peculiar business practices to emerge. I also think transfers allow shop owners to bring in new business by showing first-time customers what they have to offer, and by providing a valued service. I'm sure many transfer customers pick up their guns and leave, but I'm sure many more pick up a few "accessories" like holsters, mags, ammo, targets, etc... as well. And if they're treated fairly, they keep coming back for more.

KK

KK

I went out to their shop a few years ago looking to buy, I saw a nice British Enfield I would have bought, but they wanted nothing to do with C&R licensees... I realize there is nothing that says they have to honor my license...anyways they lost a customer. [wink]

I went out to their shop a few years ago looking to buy, I saw a nice British Enfield I would have bought, but they wanted nothing to do with C&R licensees... I realize there is nothing that says they have to honor my license...anyways they lost a customer. [wink]

further

I took another more detailed look at that web site. Still, can not help but wonder about that underlying theme of anonymity, maybe I am overly cautious, but always concerns me when business proprietors do not make their names readily known; my experience has been that reputable people in business generally want you to know who they are. Anyway, in looking closely at their fee structure, while it is not clear, but seems possible the way they list fees that the $20 transfer fee may in fact only be available if you are already paying all the other storage, handling and administrative fees, and then there is the transfer fee on top of the other fees; not sure but that's what it looks like, the $20 fee does not seem to be offered up as a standard stand-alone type fee for a firearms transfer service outside of their storage services, seems more like it is a portion of their charges when conducting business. Their fee structure approach appears very smart (maybe not simplest, fairest and most forthcoming with total cost information), showing each fee as a relatively small amount, e.g. " 50¢ per item - per day", "Administration fee - $45", "transfer fee - $20 per gun", "Handling fee $15", etc. As a previous forum member pointed out, looks like it could add up to big amounts; it also looks like there is a possibility that all of us may already be paying these fees out of our tax money from the looks of their client list which is primarily public service agencies, if the list is accurate. Looks like this may be an area where some competition might benefit the taxpayer; would be interesting to find out if local agencies are not putting this out for competitive bids, my guess would be they are not or the rates would likely not be so high. On the other side of the issue, I do not know what the laws/regs are in MA that pertain to proprietors being able to assume ownership of property for unpaid bills, but, given the stacking of charges type fee structure this company is using and given the fact that they are, at least representing, doing a lot of business with PDs, leads me to wonder if they might be seizing ownership for fees of property (firearms) police departments may be taking possession of and turning over to them for storage and maybe subsequent forfeiture. My work brings me to observe what goes on in courts often and see not good people have firearms seized for good reason but also occasionally see just the average person caught up in circumstances that involve firearms in the residence having to be taken into custody; In light of the fact that their web site shows that LE agencies may be a large portion of their client base, or they at least are targeting that business and would like PDs to be a large portion of their business, and given that interesting fee structure, worries me that the average guy could end up having to pay these large expenses or perhaps even worse, lose his/her firearms because they could not pay the stacking type fee structure that would get out of control quickly, this is concerning. I am interested in anyone else thoughts on this, from previous posts, appears some of you know a lot more about the history of related matters on this subject than I do. Also, seems like someone on the forum may know the owner, would be interested to know the answer to the question: Have they/can they seize ownership when the fees build up and are not paid on time?

further

I took another more detailed look at that web site. Still, can not help but wonder about that underlying theme of anonymity, maybe I am overly cautious, but always concerns me when business proprietors do not make their names readily known; my experience has been that reputable people in business generally want you to know who they are. Anyway, in looking closely at their fee structure, while it is not clear, but seems possible the way they list fees that the $20 transfer fee may in fact only be available if you are already paying all the other storage, handling and administrative fees, and then there is the transfer fee on top of the other fees; not sure but that's what it looks like, the $20 fee does not seem to be offered up as a standard stand-alone type fee for a firearms transfer service outside of their storage services, seems more like it is a portion of their charges when conducting business. Their fee structure approach appears very smart (maybe not simplest, fairest and most forthcoming with total cost information), showing each fee as a relatively small amount, e.g. " 50¢ per item - per day", "Administration fee - $45", "transfer fee - $20 per gun", "Handling fee $15", etc. As a previous forum member pointed out, looks like it could add up to big amounts; it also looks like there is a possibility that all of us may already be paying these fees out of our tax money from the looks of their client list which is primarily public service agencies, if the list is accurate. Looks like this may be an area where some competition might benefit the taxpayer; would be interesting to find out if local agencies are not putting this out for competitive bids, my guess would be they are not or the rates would likely not be so high. On the other side of the issue, I do not know what the laws/regs are in MA that pertain to proprietors being able to assume ownership of property for unpaid bills, but, given the stacking of charges type fee structure this company is using and given the fact that they are, at least representing, doing a lot of business with PDs, leads me to wonder if they might be seizing ownership for fees of property (firearms) police departments may be taking possession of and turning over to them for storage and maybe subsequent forfeiture. My work brings me to observe what goes on in courts often and see not good people have firearms seized for good reason but also occasionally see just the average person caught up in circumstances that involve firearms in the residence having to be taken into custody; In light of the fact that their web site shows that LE agencies may be a large portion of their client base, or they at least are targeting that business and would like PDs to be a large portion of their business, and given that interesting fee structure, worries me that the average guy could end up having to pay these large expenses or perhaps even worse, lose his/her firearms because they could not pay the stacking type fee structure that would get out of control quickly, this is concerning. I am interested in anyone else thoughts on this, from previous posts, appears some of you know a lot more about the history of related matters on this subject than I do. Also, seems like someone on the forum may know the owner, would be interested to know the answer to the question: Have they/can they seize ownership when the fees build up and are not paid on time?

further

Why would they want to spend the time and money to get competitive bids? After all, they aren't going to be paying the charges; you are.

Ken

Why would they want to spend the time and money to get competitive bids? After all, they aren't going to be paying the charges; you are.

Ken

Ken

Ch 180 of the Acts of 1998 specifically provided for bonded warehouses to take possession of police confiscated weapons. IIRC it also allows them to sell the guns after x months (believe it to be 6 or 12, but haven't checked) to recoup the storage and handling fees.

The fees are outrageous, but going thru the legal hoops to be a bonded gun warehouse in MA is non-trivial and probably is an open invitation to BATFE and MSP/FRB/CHSB/AG to walk in and audit them at any time!

My understanding is that there are literally less then a handful of bonded gun warehouses in MA, so competition is not going to exist. I also believe that between zoning by-laws, paranoid building inspectors, etc. that it would be damn near impossible to get the proper permits to open up this kind of business in most any town in the state!

The game plan on this particular law is that the bonded warehouses will make their real money by selling the guns in lieu of storage fees.

In most cases the original gun owner will never get his LTC returned/reissued any way, so they won't ever see the guns again.

The good news:
- the guns stay in civilian circulation,
- the guns don't rot in an evidence room at a PD for many years or get turned into MSP for destruction (only options for PD legally until this law went into effect).

The bad news:
- the original owner gets screwed.

It's much less than ideal, but better than it was before 1998. Yes, someone gets rich in the process!

BTW, I've done evictions so I've asked "what if there are guns, ammo". The answer is that none of the bonded movers will touch guns or ammo at all! My only recourse is that the stuff gets turned over to the PD and they can dispose of it as noted above or send it for destruction after a period of time.

Ch 180 of the Acts of 1998 specifically provided for bonded warehouses to take possession of police confiscated weapons. IIRC it also allows them to sell the guns after x months (believe it to be 6 or 12, but haven't checked) to recoup the storage and handling fees.

The fees are outrageous, but going thru the legal hoops to be a bonded gun warehouse in MA is non-trivial and probably is an open invitation to BATFE and MSP/FRB/CHSB/AG to walk in and audit them at any time!

My understanding is that there are literally less then a handful of bonded gun warehouses in MA, so competition is not going to exist. I also believe that between zoning by-laws, paranoid building inspectors, etc. that it would be damn near impossible to get the proper permits to open up this kind of business in most any town in the state!

The game plan on this particular law is that the bonded warehouses will make their real money by selling the guns in lieu of storage fees.

In most cases the original gun owner will never get his LTC returned/reissued any way, so they won't ever see the guns again.

The good news:
- the guns don't rot in an evidence room at a PD for many years or get turned into MSP for destruction (only options for PD legally until this law went into effect).

The bad news:

It's much less than ideal, but better than it was before 1998. Yes, someone gets rich in the process!

BTW, I've done evictions so I've asked "what if there are guns, ammo". The answer is that none of the bonded movers will touch guns or ammo at all! My only recourse is that the stuff gets turned over to the PD and they can dispose of it as noted above or send it for destruction after a period of time.

The good news:

The bad news:

Interesting

LenS,
You are obviously very knowledgeable in this area. Thank you for the information. Appears not too easy for competition to start up in MA; would you happen to know if the "competition" warehouse has to be in MA or could it be over the border in RI, CT, NH or VT if a less costly storage service provider were found (created) there ?

Interesting

LenS,
You are obviously very knowledgeable in this area. Thank you for the information. Appears not too easy for competition to start up in MA; would you happen to know if the "competition" warehouse has to be in MA or could it be over the border in RI, CT, NH or VT if a less costly storage service provider were found (created) there ?

Interesting

LenS,

I'm not 100% positive, but my thoughts are that no PD in MA would deal with out-of-state storage facilities. Once it crosses the border, MA laws have no control on what is done there. You might check the storage provisions in MGL for legal answer.

MGL C. 140 S. 129D - and the law says that the bonded warehouse can sell the guns after holding them for 1 year. Also it specifies a Federally and State licensed dealer who runs a bonded warehouse. I'm certain that the definition of "State Licensed Dealer" will restrict it to a MA licensed dealer/warehouse.

Back
Top Bottom