Yankee Artifacts? Anyone know about them?

I'm not 100% positive, but my thoughts are that no PD in MA would deal with out-of-state storage facilities. Once it crosses the border, MA laws have no control on what is done there. You might check the storage provisions in MGL for legal answer.

MGL C. 140 S. 129D - and the law says that the bonded warehouse can sell the guns after holding them for 1 year. Also it specifies a Federally and State licensed dealer who runs a bonded warehouse. I'm certain that the definition of "State Licensed Dealer" will restrict it to a MA licensed dealer/warehouse.

I'm not 100% positive, but my thoughts are that no PD in MA would deal with out-of-state storage facilities. Once it crosses the border, MA laws have no control on what is done there. You might check the storage provisions in MGL for legal answer.

MGL C. 140 S. 129D - and the law says that the bonded warehouse can sell the guns after holding them for 1 year. Also it specifies a Federally and State licensed dealer who runs a bonded warehouse. I'm certain that the definition of "State Licensed Dealer" will restrict it to a MA licensed dealer/warehouse.

Your Gun Becomes THEIR Gun

LenS, Thanks for the info. I know very little about this whole warehouse/ seize ownership of your gun(s) issue beyond what I have read in this thread, but do know a little about business operations, and have to agree that appears the real game plan they may have in mind is to sell the guns brought in for storage.
$247.50 is what I come up with using their fee structure for storing just 1 pistol for 1 year; 2 years almost $500 !

The other interesting policy they have posted on their web site is that they will NOT make any partial releases of inventory, believe they are saying that if you happen to be unfortunate enough to have say 10 guns brought in to them and have accrued/owe them $2,475.00 for the year, that the total amount is payable and they will not release just one gun of the ten until the full amount for all the guns you have in storage is paid. What do you think of that?

So if someone is just looking for a place to store firearms for normal reasons (not legal problems), e.g. - in an appartment that is not very secure; just moved to the area, belongings in storage bin and company is putting you up in hotel for a month, etc, is this the place someone should go to for storage of a few firearms?

NO WAY!

When I was having my house renovated, we moved all the long guns into a rental bin at "Extra Storage". Each bin was alarmed, all indoor with climate control, video cameras everywhere and access logged in after hours or thru the warehouse doors.

I advised my gun insurance company, provided some pictures of the place (old factory warehouse that was converted) and got the OK, so they had no problem covering the guns in case of theft there.

I did NOT tell Extra Storage what I was storing, they were not on a "banned list" provided with the contract. I moved them in at night, under tarps so that the cameras didn't pick them up. Moved them out the same way (bought a big safe for them as part of the renovations). Cost was ~$80/month for a 5x8x~20' bin and I had a lot more stuff that had to be stored while the contractors were here.

Gun Storage or Gun Take-Away / Disposal Service

Thanks, extremely helpful information. Coming up on a possible move in the not too distant future, could have gone very wrong with a so called 'gun storage' service, when I really need to be considering true storage services as you did. What initially attracted me to the advertisement for village vault and was causing me to be inclined to consider them was the representation of being insured and climate controlled; however, as you pointed out, there are better options available.
That fee structure is downright frightening, talk about people trying to get their hands deep into your pockets ! Correct me if I am wrong, but appears that type of service is realistically only appropriate for a very narrow range of users/people that have no choice but to arrange some sort of permanent storage-to-disposal for firearms, really don't see it as a viable option for average person needing storage for self or relative's estate collection, etc.

Identity

USMA-82 said:
Regarding the secrecy of the domain registration, please realize that when the site was first brought on-line, someone "pirated" the address (not sure of the technical term) so that when you typed it you were directed to an anti-gun website. "The Owner" wanted to avoid that happening again.
If this is indeed the reason, then publishing the owner's full name to this list will not in any way compromise the current domain registration. Could you please do that?

I'm not going to publish anyone's name until I have permission to do so - I would hope anyone would do the same for me.

I have sent an email to get some answers, but nothing yet - you can lead a horse to the computer, but you can't make him type.

I will call him tonite....

KK

Yankee "NO Facts"

I took another look at that "Yankee Artifacts" web page cited in the lead post in this thread just to refresh my memory of what we were discussing.
USMA-82, with all due respect to the person you know, and truly no disrespect intended to him/her or anyone that may work with him/her, as I am someone that believes in treating everyone with respect until they prove that another approach is necessary, but rather PURELY from a shopper perspective, that web site is the CLASSIC example of what computer/internet knowledgeable people typically caution us AGAINST doing business with, that is a web site that is nothing but a compilation of non-facts, non-information, semi-interesting tidbits of non-essential trivia, no- true identities of proprietors and not even a street address where you can go looking or send a civil writ if they take your money and provide nothing, or they do send something but buyer is not satisfied, Again, not implying this is what this fellow/lady would ever think of doing, but for a shopper to conduct business in this manner based upon that web site provides absolutely no safeguards at all to the purchaser. Further, it defies logic for someone to ask a shopper for their hard earned money without AT LEAST CLEARLY STATING WHO THEY ARE AND WHERE THEY ARE. Just my thoughts for what they are worth.

I can't disagree. It's the classic "putting the cart before the horse" scenario. He should have had the shop up and running before setting up the website and then letting it just hang there.

But I can tell you that, in this case, it is more a matter of someone being overwhelmed by the process, rather than intentionally trying to deceive. He's a guy I've known for over thirteen years - we went to church together, our kids were in Cub Scouts together, and he has always impressed me as someone of great honesty and character.

Sorry this has caused such an uproar.

KK

Follow Up

Very good then, I'll be looking forward to the response to Rob Boudrie's relevant inquiry:

["If this is indeed the reason, then publishing the owner's full name to this list will not in any way compromise the current domain registration. Could you please do that?"]

Identity

USMA-82 said:
I'm not going to publish anyone's name until I have permission to do so - I would hope anyone would do the same for me.

I have sent an email to get some answers, but nothing yet - you can lead a horse to the computer, but you can't make him type.

I will call him tonite....

KK
Thanks.

If you are denied permission to identify, could you please post that fact so we can stop guessing as to the intent of the identity withholding? I may be something as simple as a vendor new to internet marketing not understanding the importance of an actual identity to the buying public.

Also, the current "domain registration lock" and authentication procedures in place for domains make it difficult for someone to hijack a domain name simply by knowing who the owner is.

Identity Issue

Matt,
It is interesting and very noteworthy and perhaps even surprising to many that what might appear at first glance to some people to be a relatively small or insignificant issue can actually be something extremely significant and of great concern to others. Perhaps others involved in this thread can clarify even further or correct me if I am on the wrong track, but to try to explain why the concern has come out.... the internet has been very fertile ground, to say the least, for some to operate businesses in an unethical manner. Those of us that have had some exposure to the "good, the bad and the ugly" of it so to speak have found that there are some red flags to be aware. Not judging anyone or accusing anyone, just simply pointing out that there are in fact these red flags that exist, and anonymity/failure to identify actual proprietors and actual storefront or warehouse locations are some of those red flags.
I am getting somewhat long in the tooth, 57 now, and have met more people than I should have that have been mercilessly ripped off by unethical internet businesses and in looking at some of those sites involved, yes the red flags were there. And most of us are aware that the internet has been used for even worse purposes. I have had some people save me from unscrupulous internet business, and would like to pass along the favor. Again, getting to be an official 'old guy' now as I am getting ready to submit my application to AARP, and looking back over the many years I have done business with people, the good and reputable business people always wanted to have everyone in the world know who they are, it was the businessmen who did not like giving out their names that proved to be the ones that needed to be watched. Just my own experience, my experiences may be unique and not like anyone elses. Further, it is my personnel belief that we all need to be involved in the policing of the internet. Again, I may be way off base, but this is how I see it. Apologize if that offends anyone.

Re: Identity Issue

stosh said:
Again, getting to be an official 'old guy' now as I am getting ready to submit my application to AARP.

Probably better for another thread, but how does AARP feel about guns? They tend to be on the left end of the spectrum I thought?

Matt

EDIT:

From the AARP website:

Gun Control
AARP believes in the Constitutional right to bear arms. But to make the nation safer, we must do what we can to keep guns out of hands of children and criminals. AARP supported the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act, which went into law in 1994 with bi-partisan support, but was allowed to expire this year.

AARP supports measures to eliminate firearm possession by juveniles, convicted domestic abusers and those under domestic violence restraining orders.

Great !

Wow Matt, that's great, your becoming one of us business / internet police guys already, looking for that downside that might exist, or maybe you were there before the rest of us and just were not letting on :)

Stosh,

Can you use paragraphs in your posts? A very long post with no line breaks is somewhat difficult to read... and I do want to see what you have to say.

Thanks,

Ross

OK, Guys... here you go.

I did talk to "the Owner" this weekend. His name is Phil Rogers, and he lives in Northboro. He is in the process of renovating the 3-bay garage on his property to create a storefront. He is doing this in his spare time and with his own money, so it is taking some time.

He left the website in place even though he hasn't been able to update it. As I mentioned earlier, his website was targeted by an anti-gun organization that would actually go in and change information on the site - including prices! They left him a message one day saying they were strongly anti-gun and would do everything they could to ruin his business. As you can imagine, this gave him quite a scare. He has been working with a software engineer to create a better firewall to prevent this organization from trying again.

Phil did not realize that the "dormant" site would cause such problems, and he really wants people to know he's not out to rip anyone off. In fact, he invites anyone with a question about Yankee Artifacts to call him at the cell number listed on the website, anytime:

1-774-258-0807

I hope I've addressed some concerns. Feel free to talk to Phil about any others you may have. But be prepared to get into a lengthy conversation... Phil definitely likes to talk guns!

KK

Yankee Artifacts

Just wanted to let everyone know that I did business this morning with Phil Rogers at Yankee Artifacts. He called me back within 20 minutes of leaving a message and I met him in Northboro where he is set up for now. Anyone who thinks he is not legitimate is missing the boat big time. Not only was he polite, professional, and knowledgeable about guns, he had an excellent inventory of firearms. He is in the process of setting up his new location and is currently revamping the website to eliminate any past problems. It was a little ride from Foxborough, but I plan on only doing business with him in the future. I hope this helps for anyone who has any doubts or concerns about the integrity of his business. BTW, he happily accepts calls at his 774-258-0807 number....

If this is the same Phil Rogers that worked at the Gun Room in Shrewsbury? He is a good guy. I've known him for a few years myself.

Same guy, Jim.

As I said in one of my earlier posts, I've known him the entire 13 years since I've been out of the military, and he is a real gentleman and a straight-shooter.

Everyone here is going to love doing business with this guy

Thank you for the welcome. I believe he is only going to be open on Fridays by appointment until his new shop is done. I did meet him at the old Village Gun Shop, but I don't know how long he will be there. He is definitely a good guy.....

Don't mean to get nostalgic, but God save the meak who decide to defend themselves. The more people who carry, the less people who have to worry about it. I graduated from the most liberal school in the country, and I am still ready to fight the good fight. My only regret is that I did not serve my country as most of you guys did. I respect all of you. I wish I could turn back time and be a VETERAN. You guys have no idea how much respect you elicit.......

Purchased a rifle from Phil last Friday. Great guy, very easy transaction. Seems to be doing a very brisk internet business. Highly recommended.

shop hours

Tom59342 said:
. I believe he is only going to be open on Fridays by appointment until his new shop is done. .....

Iwasn't here when this thread was active, is his new shop open yet and what are his hours?

Strange, I called him 2 weeks ago regarding a Glock he has for sale. He told me that he doesn't do retail, that he only sells to dealers...What's up with that?

USMA-82 said:
That's the most it ever should cost - but I've heard quotes as high as $45 for the 5 minutes of paperwork involved.

Don't forget that if you're a member of GOAL, you can also transfer in through "Mike's Gun Shop" for $20.00

KK

Where is Mike's gun shop???

Back
Top Bottom