You need more gun

I would like to get other views in this. For 53 years of my life I did not carry a gun and fortunately never was in a situation that required one. A little over 2 years ago I decided to get my license and begin to carry. I chose a J frame due to light weight and concealability. I figured if ever in a serious jam I would have a reasonable chance to get out alive. As I have shared this many have suggested that its not enough gun, the caliber is weak, reloads are slow, etc, etc, etc. They say you need at least a 9mm, at least one extra mag(many indicate 2), 10 + 1 in the pistol and of course dress around all that.

I say phewy, what do you say?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I say....

Meh. Carry what works for your life. I carry a G26 and extra mag in safari land 123 holster. Its perfect for my life.

There are j frames that shoot 357. What caliber is yours?

Caliber aside for a sec, I prefer more rounds available, because of the studies that show what happens to accuracy under stress. you're probable not well set up for a multi attacker scenario, but many folks on here say any gun is better than no gun, and I'd have to agree with that. Single attacker on a dark sidewalk, I think I'd feel plenty comfortable with a model 640. A tad less so with .38 cal.

Seacamp 32. So small no excuse not to carry. Yep 32 people bash it but I have had no takers volunteer to be shot with it. Read the seacamp website some good ballistic info. In case your wondering I do carry a 686 as well for when I can wear a holster. Fits the need during summer. Smaller than an iPhone.

IMO carrying a gun that you can shoot well is more important than caliber. If you have a beautiful 45 cal Kimber that you couldn't hit the side of a barn with, but you are deadly accurate with a pocket 38 - carry the 38.

I usually carry an extra mag with my LC9, so I agree with that.

I would like to get other views in this. For 53 years of my life I did not carry a gun and fortunately never was in a situation that required one. A little over 2 years ago I decided to get my license and begin to carry. I chose a J frame due to light weight and concealability. I figured if ever in a serious jam I would have a reasonable chance to get out alive. As I have shared this many have suggested that its not enough gun, the caliber is weak, reloads are slow, etc, etc, etc. They say you need at least a 9mm, at least one extra mag(many indicate 2), 10 + 1 in the pistol and of course dress around all that.

When younger, I carried a Colt Detective Special (.38 S&W) with a 2 inch barrel...nice little shooting snubby with a fantastic trigger, not to mention it had (has) a 6-round cylinder (the college in Boston I attended had a no firearm policy, but I didn't care). I also carried it at night when I shot competitively against MIT and Harvard shooting teams using an Olympic Citation Hi-Standard comp gun (still have both firearms).

Moral of the story - never felt underpowered when carrying the Colt, although today, I don't carry anything in less than fortay or .45 ACP (except very infrequently, a SIG 229 in .357 SIG). After reading about the infamous 1986 Miami FBI shootout against 2 BG, where IICR, two agents died, and 5 of the other 6 agents were wounded, I decided that the 9mm was not for me, even though the current defensive 9mm ammo is much improved.

Last edited:
38 is more than sufficient. Good crush cavity with appropriate ammo, even wad cutter if recoil sensitive.

When younger, I carried a Colt Detective Special (.38 S&W) with a 2 inch barrel...nice little shooting snubby with a fantastic trigger, not to mention it had (has) a 6-round cylinder (the college in Boston I attended had a no firearm policy, but I didn't care). I also carried it at night when I shot competitively against MIT and Harvard shooting teams using an Olympic Citation Hi-Standard comp gun (still have both firearms).

Moral of the story - never felt underpowered when carrying the Colt, although today, I don't carry anything in less than fortay or .45 ACP (except very infrequently, a SIG 229 in .357 SIG). After reading about the infamous 1986 Miami FBI shootout against 2 BG, where IICR, two agents died, and 5 of the other 6 agents were wounded, I decided that the 9mm was not for me, even though the current defensive 9mm ammo is much improved.

Their tactics sucked, not the caliber they chose.

A J frame in your pocket is better than a G19 in the safe.

If people spent as much time practicing as they do debating calibers and 'knock down' power they would be better off.

Carry what you want. Who gives a crap what someone else thinks? Statistically you're never going to even need the thing anyway. It's simply a precaution/preparedness tool. I'd rather have a snubby than my fists. I'd rather have a bazooka than a snubby but that would by a bitch to lug around. Carry whatever is practical for your lifestyle, whatever you feel gives you enough of an edge. If you're comfortable carrying a J frame then that's all that matters. carry +p and it's really not that weak of a round. I sure as F wouldn't want to take two or three to the chest.

A bullet no matter what caliber can be deadly .22 cal to .50 cal a well place shot will kill any thing. After all your not protecting your self from a elephant or a grizzly bear. A thin skinned human is no match for a bullet. Shot placement is everything so what ever you decide to carry make sure your comfortable and accurate with it. I carry a .380 ppk and bet my life it will be more than adaquit to take down any threat, and I bring to the range as many times as my ammo situation will allow me for practice.

I used to carry a full sized 9mm. This and an extra mag gave me 35rds (17×2+1=35). It was all I had so I made it work. IWB @ 3 o'clock, shoulder holster, and holstered in my cargo pocket were my carry options.

Now I rock a Keltec P-11 with a spare mag. This allows me to carry 11rds of 9mm in my pocket and a spare 10rd mag. I figure it is about the same size as a snub but has more rounds and only has to reload half as often!

To each their own but just weigh your cost vs. benefits for you needs.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, because it's sound to judge 9mm against a (extremely jacked/bad-ass) guy wielding a rifle while shooting at him with one of the top 10 worst 9mm defense loads ever manufactured. [thinking] Even at that time 9mm ball would have been a better choice vs win silvertip.

-Mike

I think more background might help. For instance, are you frequently going through or living in a high crime area? Do you have an everyday type job or is there anything that might make your job more dangerous than a regular office job?

I carry the J frame 90% of the summer, with two speedloaders. Switch to a G33, 357sig in the winter or if I'm going somewhere I think it's a better carry.

The best gun to carry is the one you never have to fire, a J frame and the little red laser dot, instantly tell any opponent he's in trouble.

Carry what is practical for your life and situation. It's better to carry a J-frame that you're comfortable and proficient with than a Glock that you can't conceal well and don't shoot often. Keep your carry gun loaded with whatever quality defensive ammo you have tested it to work with to ensure proper function and call it a day. There's no point in debating the minutia between bonded Ranger T and HST or 9mm vs. .40 vs. .45, etc. It sure makes for fun on the internet though ;)

the biggest problem with the j-frame is that most people don't practice with it often, or don't do enough good practice with it. Too often, people get into the "carried a lot, shot a little" mindset that is completely f-ing ass backwards. The J-frame is truly an experts gun and demands more practice than anything else.

I do carry my j-frame occasionally when the situation prevents me from carrying a semi-auto. 5 rounds of 38+p will get one out of most situations if one is competant behind the gun, but I don't kid myself into thinking my j-frame is as forgiving as my semi-auto.

The J-frame is truly an experts gun and demands more practice than anything else.

Maybe you need to be an expert to land 5 out of 5 in the bullseye at 25 yards, but for the average shooter at the the distance most shootouts take place, the j frames have adequate accuracy. I certainly agree a j frame user should practice, but so should everyone else.

- - - Updated - - -

Carry what is practical for your life and situation. It's better to carry a J-frame that you're comfortable and proficient with than a Glock that you can't conceal well and don't shoot often....

Well said. As I stated in another thread, 99% of victims of violent crime don't have a firearms to defend themselves. Carrying anything puts you in a much better position.

Maybe you need to be an expert to land 5 out of 5 in the bullseye at 25 yards, but for the average shooter at the the distance most shootouts take place, the j frames have adequate accuracy. I certainly agree a j frame user should practice, but so should everyone else.

I'm not even talking about bullseye accuracy. J-frames have excellent instrinsic accuracy at long range. Shoot it from vice and you'll see.

I'm talking about things like landing accurate hits really fast while on the move. YOu know, things that actually matter in a self defense shooting. With only 5 rounds on board, minimal sights, and a tiny grip, you better practice more with it.

I don't rely on the "average self defense distance" excuse. It's a cop-out that people use in order to keep practicing what they are good at and not practice what they suck at (aka they never improve their skills). Most people don't even know how bad they are.

There are a couple of big advantages that j-frames have over semi-autos (conceability and entangled situations). BUt also some glaring disadvantages (grip, sights, onboard ammo, reload time, trigger). Like I said, when I carry my j-frame, I don't kid myself into thinking it's as forgiving as a semi-auto in a straight up gunfight. I also do comparatively far more dry firing, dry manipulations, and live range time with my j-frame than any other of my guns in order to maintain a similar level of skill as with my semi-auto carry gun.

Last edited:
I carry the J frame 90% of the summer, with two speedloaders. Switch to a G33, 357sig in the winter or if I'm going somewhere I think it's a better carry.

The best gun to carry is the one you never have to fire, a J frame and the little red laser dot, instantly tell any opponent he's in trouble.

Hardcore. 357sig is a nasty round for sure.

For now I have Winchester PDX 230gr in my XDs. I'm comfortable with it.

However I sometimes ask myself "why the **** are you carrying a .45ACP?" when holstering at home [laugh]

then the alpha male kicks in and says "Because .45ACP , that's why"

What does everyone use for defense ammo in their snubbies?

Speer Gold Dot 135gr 38spl + P Short Barrel

not too hard to find. One of the few hollow points that both expand and penetrate deeply enough out of a short 2" barrel. I usually get mine at Riley's in the 50round LEO boxes.

Back
Top Bottom