You need more gun

+1 My guess is just pulling it out and pointing it at someone is going to stop the threat. I know I wouldn't want to look down the barrel of any sized caliber never mind a .38. You have to ask yourself what would you do if a gun was pointed at you. All the talk about stopping power and calibers is internet fantasy IMO.

The people you would most _need_ to point guns at often will not be deterred by such things.

-Mike

There are no guarantees in a defensive shooting scenario. Yes, many assailants would quickly turn tail at the sight of a gun, but in other cases... "**** you and your high-powered rifle! I'm gonna kill you mother****ers!"

The people you would most _need_ to point guns at often will not be deterred by such things.

-Mike
You guys are probably right. The fact that my weapon is drawn means the trigger will most likely be pulled. Plan A ,ie running away didn't work. I would feel just as secure with my SR22 as I would with my 642 for no other reason than I can shoot it well. I do believe heavy winter clothing would make a difference. I don't doubt some of the people here know what they are talking about, but .38's have been killing people for years.

Not sure I understand why you say 5 shots are not enough for two people. Could you explain?

Bernie G found that 5 shots worked nicely against 4 thugs. On the other hand there is Harry Bechwith who found 105 shots was not enough, but I think 5 shots should be enough for two attackers.

Again, if you feel you need more, I have no problem with that. I just don't think someone carrying a snub should feel unprepared for most defensive situations.

The statistical average is 7 shots per intruder. There are tons of variables, how hopped up on drugs they are, how much cover he has, are you injured before you pull, can you not clearly see the target, how much adrenaline do they have, did they enter "fight" mode of "fight or flight" and 2 solid hits wont take them down, etc etc. Lots of variables that could reduce your accuracy or increase the enemies resistance. There have been many cases where 5-6 solid hits did not kill an attacker, I can recall one case of a woman trapped in her attic landed 6 shots with her revolver and the guy just walked up, left, and crashed into a tree a few blocks down.

Regardless, the statistical average is 7 shots per attacker/intruder. With 10 I feel like I have an okay chance, or at least a fighting chance, against two attackers. With less than that, my idea is it's a run away gun (Shoot if I have to, or shoot to clear the closest attacker and then run - to a bigger gun if it's in my home)

The statistical average is 7 shots per intruder. There are tons of variables, how hopped up on drugs they are, how much cover he has, are you injured before you pull, can you not clearly see the target, how much adrenaline do they have, did they enter "fight" mode of "fight or flight" and 2 solid hits wont take them down, etc etc. Lots of variables that could reduce your accuracy or increase the enemies resistance. There have been many cases where 5-6 solid hits did not kill an attacker, I can recall one case of a woman trapped in her attic landed 6 shots with her revolver and the guy just walked up, left, and crashed into a tree a few blocks down.

Regardless, the statistical average is 7 shots per attacker/intruder. With 10 I feel like I have an okay chance, or at least a fighting chance, against two attackers. With less than that, my idea is it's a run away gun (Shoot if I have to, or shoot to clear the closest attacker and then run - to a bigger gun if it's in my home)

this.

Plus the bad guy is moving and you are moving. If you've never tried shooting a moving target while you are moving in a different direction, you're in for a surprise.

5 rounds goes quick.

Just my humble opinion here, but carry whatever you shoot really well and are comfortable with. Now, if that means you want to carry a .22 with snakeshot on it, I'd probably say go another route.

To drift a little I remember reading an article about "j frame tactics". Amongst carrying a NY reload and shooting from a jacket pocket the author discussed the advantage of only having 4rds on a speed strip.

He felt that the ammo loaded vs time taken was in his benefit for a 5 shot gun. He left a space in the middle allowing him to easily index the speed strip, load 2 rounds, rotate the strip, load 2 more, and then drop it while closing the cylinder. He claimed not moving the cylinder sped his time up and if done right put the empty chamber under the hammer as it closed.

Disclaimer: I shoot semis exclusively

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Huh, that's how I do it too.

I found that I fumbled with it a lot more when I carried 5 or 6 rounds in a strip. I leave the last opening on the strip open and one space between the cartridge pairs so that no matter which end I grab the strip from, I have plenty of purchase area to grip. Plus, having two pairs of cartridges usually means less fumbling to index the rounds in the cylinder throats.

I haven't gotten the knack of closing the cylinder on the empty chamber yet. Need more practice.

To drift a little I remember reading an article about "j frame tactics". Amongst carrying a NY reload and shooting from a jacket pocket the author discussed the advantage of only having 4rds on a speed strip.

He felt that the ammo loaded vs time taken was in his benefit for a 5 shot gun. He left a space in the middle allowing him to easily index the speed strip, load 2 rounds, rotate the strip, load 2 more, and then drop it while closing the cylinder. He claimed not moving the cylinder sped his time up and if done right put the empty chamber under the hammer as it closed.

Disclaimer: I shoot semis exclusively

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Please sight a source for that 7 shot statistic. I always thought the average was 2.8, though that might have been from a time when the average handgun held 6.

I haven't gotten the knack of closing the cylinder on the empty chamber yet. Need more practice.

doubtful anybody is going to be able to do that consistently and in all conditions. If you have already loaded 4 chambers in a 5 shot revolver, just shoot through that empty and go on to the next one. It will cost you less than a quarter second, and its better than trying to line up an empty chamber during a reload.

Back
Top Bottom