your all-time favorite knife

So ill ask, because this threads caught my eye.

Do any of you carry a knife specifically for defensive purposes?

If so, what do you recommend for a concealable blade for that purpose?

How about the "assisted opening" knives?

How or what do you use to train with as far as a blade is concerned?

There are times when I'm not permitted to carry a firearm and I would like some sort of defensive weapon that I could become proficient with....

Edit: I will add that I would like a quality knife, but dont really want a $200-$300 investment. Are the $100ish knives even any good ( crkt was one brand I was looking at )

Benchmade AFCK.

Bob Lum, now we are talking knives. He like Ernie Emerson is some kind of knife design legend.

I do like my two Benchmade LUM designed Mini Dejavoo knives. I have one plain finish & blade the other is black with 1/2 serations. Bob Lum, God rest his soul knew how to design a knife that just felt good in the hand. When you have one in you grip you can not help but think of their late but great knife designer.

I'm starting to warm up to AL Mar made knives.

I also do like the Syderco knives with the Emerson wave feature (the Endura or smaller Delica). Man do they open fast as hell.
And at about $75 each either the waved Endura or Delica are hard to beat.
smitty

Last edited:
Anything by spyderco... Al Longworth out of Northboro makes some VERY nice quality customs, he tends to attend a lot of gun/knife shows in MA.

Spring assisted Kershaw Leek. My uncle gave me one with orange stone inlay and I haven't been able to find one that looks the same online, but the knife is amazing.

just looked at a few examples of Al's work online. Wow.

Basso,
His knives are stunning, always different and in years are going to be worth a HECK of a lot more than you will purchase them for. The sharpness of his blades is can't be matched. If you are into collecting knives, or even just want one realllly good knife for hunting I would check him out, you can PM me for his contact info too.

If you go to most local NCCA shows or the gun/knife shows that they have a couple times a year in Marlboro he is almost always at them... One should be coming up end of January or so.

8348e9ca.jpg

fe027e58.jpg

Buck 110 folder!....Its a very good looking knife (brass ends with natural wood handle), very well made, easily carried, well priced, really strong and imo will never go out of style. I forget which knife magazine I read this in, but it was in the top five well priced kinves for self defense about five years ago or so.

Benchmade Osborne 942BK, no longer made in this configuration, but my ALL TIME favorite EDC. Lately I have been carrying the Benchmade 746 Lum Mini Onslaught which is basically the Mini Dejavoo (see Andypieces pics above) with the Benchmade Axis lock. Spyderco Delicas are also excellent knives for reasonable money. I am also partial to the Leatherman Skeletool CX which carries like a decent folder but adds a screwdriver, pliers, and bottle opener.

Chris

my all time favorites were the Gerber F.A.S.T Covert and Mini Covert. I beat the absolute crap out of those knives and they never got loose or broke which was amazing since the more complex assisted opening mechanisms tend to be less durable than non.

end of last year one was stolen and one was lost by a friend so a replacement was needed. now this is a little impractical and in some of the areas in MA with blade length limits I need to carry something else but every once in a while you see something so amazingly rediculous that even you logical side says "WE NEED THAT!!!" lol

4b44e259-e906-03ad.jpg

4b44e259-e917-66e6.jpg

4b44e259-e924-ec2f.jpg

yeah... it's a little big but hell it fits in standard pockets and let's be honest, how many of us really need both of our pockets haha.

oh and 5 stitches on xmas eve can confirm that the factory hone really doesn't need to be worked on [wink]

4b44e259-e938-6835.jpg

p.s. the kershaw tremor is a very close 2nd to the gerber F.A.S.T. covert knives. if you guys haven't gotten your hands on a tremor yet you should!

Don't have one favorite knife, but given the amount of use that it has gotten divided by its cost, I will have to go with my Boker Plus, Wagner urban knife. It is cheap, easy to carry, and versatile, so it becomes a great EDC knife.

For more heavy duty stuff, maybe be the SOG Seal Pup.

Back
Top Bottom