Your Choice Of Firearms

C

chaosphere33

I am looking to getting a semi auto handgun eventually and was looking at S&W, Springfield, Ruger and Khar, and I was curious what anyone else uses and what gun brand/model has a longstanding, great reputation.

I am looking for firearm suggestions that are good for

Concealed Carry, either 9mm, .40 or .45 caliber and is easy in maintenance with very few mechanical problems (as far as major glitches people have noticed with a particualr brand/model throughout the years). I know Glocks are great and I am getting one of those too, but I kind of want to try another brand as well. Price is NOT an issue, just me deciding what brand is reputable.

Thank You fellow NES'ers!

Sig Sauer has a nice lineup of semi pistols. Too bad that we, in MA, can't have them all but the "P" Series guns are very good.

Most modern firearms are safe and reliable.

I have found that everyone's hands are different. Fit is very important.

Join a gun club, shoot everything you can get your hands on. I would certainly let you shoot any of my guns.

If you live in MA you'll have a hard time getting into anything springfield.

Stay away from the .40, it was made by French women so they could have something to shoot while their husbands cook.

The glock is great, just remember to throw it after you pull the pin.

H&K, Sig, Smith, Ruger, and Kahr all make fine pistols.

Buy them all!

I agree with whatluck that you really need to go and try different guns out for fit and feel in your hand.

What may be a great fit for me is may not be a great fit for you, but since you asked I prefer the Glock 19 (9mm). I have smaller hands so the compact sized frame fits my hands and feels good to shoot. I also have a Sig 239, S&W 1911PD, and Ruger LCR which all have their own positives and negatives. If possible ask guys in your area to shoot their guns at a near by club (throwing them ammo obviously) so that you are making an informed decision.

I belong to Westford Sportmens Club and Billerica Rod & Gun club if you are in the Lowell area.

Dan

Personally, I own/carry a Glock 22 and a Kahr K40 Covert, both in .40

Like everyone else said, you really have to try these things out to see what works for you. The Glock and the Kahr both happen to work quite well for me.

I agree with whatluck that you really need to go and try different guns out for fit and feel in your hand.

+1 It all comes down to what YOU like and shoot hard. Try as many as you can and then make an educated decision on which one is best for YOU.

As others have said. It's about what you like to shoot. I think Kahr makes a fine pistol, if you can find what you are looking for they conceal easy and have a good fit and finish. However any of the brands you mentioned should be just fine.

I really love the feel of the Browning High Power (not sure you can get them in MA as I am a CT guy). The grip is a little small for my mitts, but something about it just feels great.

I just reluctantly picked up a Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm... I had no desire for this gun - it just filled a void and served a purpose. I was unexcited when I picked it up. I have to say, I am pleasantly surprised how much I like this gun - MA trigger and all. I can't even imagine how much more I'll like it when my Apex goes in... If someone around you has one - try it. Have them bring the extra grip panels. I am converted - the M&P 9 is pretty damned sweet...

As others stated make the informed decision by shooting to see what fits your hand and works for you.

If you want to try out several pistols at once you can do so at AFS in North Attleboro, or Manchester Firing Line in Manchester, NH.

I went to AFS today with a friend who was trying to decide between a Sig, Glock, SR9, and M&P. He simply rented one gun and exchanged it for another after a couple of magazines of firing so he could shoot them all one after another. He found it quite helpful, as you get an idea for what works for your handsize, trigger reach, and just general feel.

Of course, you could probably also do this with many of the NES'ers as many have offered.

I really love the feel of the Browning High Power (not sure you can get them in MA as I am a CT guy). The grip is a little small for my mitts, but something about it just feels great.

My friend has a hi power. I love that gun, I want one. The sights are a little tiny, but it is awesome to shoot. They aren't considered "safe for Massachusetts consumers," but they turn up now and then.

I own guns by Springfield, Nighthawk, Smith & Wesson and Ruger. I've been looking at guns by Kel-tec, Sig, Colt and Glock. Definitely +1 to the try as many as you can advice. Sometimes you think a gun is awesome, but the moment you grab it it just feels wrong, or you don't like the way it shoots. Othertimes, you don't like a gun, but start shooting it and you end up liking it. When you get one that you think is awesome, and when you pick it up and shoot it, feels awesome - don't let it get away.

The M&P series is solid, and they make them in smaller versions for carry. Springfield's XD offerings get a lot of flak around here, but I've shot a number of them and wouldn't hesitate to get one. You could also look into a wheel gun for carry, .357mag will put a nice hole in someone, and even when downloaded to standard pressure .38spl you shouldn't be in a bad place. Some of the smaller Sigs are good for carry, too. Figure out what mode of carry you plan on doing (pocket, iwb, appendix, etc), look for guns that fit that idea, and see which one feels best for you.

Most modern firearms are safe and reliable.

I have found that everyone's hands are different. Fit is very important.

Join a gun club, shoot everything you can get your hands on. I would certainly let you shoot any of my guns.

If you live in MA you'll have a hard time getting into anything springfield.

Stay away from the .40, it was made by French women so they could have something to shoot while their husbands cook.

The glock is great, just remember to throw it after you pull the pin.

H&K, Sig, Smith, Ruger, and Kahr all make fine pistols.

Buy them all!

+1.

Personally, I like SIG and HK but any well known brand of modern gun is pretty good. And yeah, .40 sucks.

Got to add in to choose what you feel comfortable to shoot, and more importantly if your going to CCW to be able to afford to shoot your new gun. Shooting is what I term an active skill, and one that can diminish if not kept in practice.

When I was looking for my CCW I was hell bent on grabbing a Glock, bu after shooting the 19, it ddin't feel right in my hands, but damn, I shot the M&P9c a hell of a lot better.

As others have said get somewhere and shoot as many guns as you can to see what fits you best.

Try the S&W Shooting Center in Sprinfield or Sig in NH or as others have said there's some shops in your area that rent guns.

When you become green you can get invoved with NES shoots or tours to S&W where we get to shoot guns.

Good Luck

Choosing a gun is like finding Mrs Right. Sometimes things just click and it all works out. But that's why I'm single. I like to switch things up.

I'm partial to Sigs. I haven't met one I didn't like and they simply work. I have guns I like, but it doesn't mean I shoot well with them. I also have guns I flat out hate (mostly things in. 40 [wink])

I too second, or third, a P228/229. My 228 is a fantastic gun.

The only way to know what works for you is to fondle and shoot lots of guns. Going from a full sized to compact, even of the same model, makes a huge difference. Changing the grips (I prefer Hogue) also changes the feel of the gun completely.

Depending on where you are, I'm sure there are members that will be gracious enough to let you try out some goods.

I am from Hudson, MA and am planning to join a few gun clubs soon. Just actually got my License to Carry. :)!

I am from Hudson, MA and am planning to join a few gun clubs soon. Just actually got my License to Carry. :)!

Manchester Firing Line is probably the best place to go in the area to try out a bunch of guns. However, many of the guns you can try there are not readily available in MA.

Or, go green and come to an NES member shoot.

Yeah been to Manchester Range to check it out and looks amazing! I am deff going to go when I can actually get a lane thats open haha, but what are the NES Member Shoots? When and Where do those usually take place? I am just starting my adventure into the world of Firearms, etc

Yeah been to Manchester Range to check it out and looks amazing! I am deff going to go when I can actually get a lane thats open haha, but what are the NES Member Shoots? When and Where do those usually take place? I am just starting my adventure into the world of Firearms, etc

Go to the memberships section of this forum, sign up and find out...You'll be glad you did...[cheers]

I did! I AM GOING TO JOIN! Also, what range do you think has the best choice of firearms to rent, discounts, range time, etc etc, Manchester Firing Range, or AFS?

I did! I AM GOING TO JOIN! Also, what range do you think has the best choice of firearms to rent, discounts, range time, etc etc, Manchester Firing Range, or AFS?

AFS is $20 for a lane per person (even if you share a lane) and they have a fair selection of rental guns. They have a website that outlines their prices and what they have to rent. I've never gone to Manchester but I've gone to AFS 8-9 times now and its been fine as long as there isn't a 2 hr wait for a lane (happens after christmas mostly). You should also watch out for new people at AFS who muzzle sweep the entire firing line when looking at their guns or putting them away. Probably 50% of the time I'm at AFS I get muzzle swept and the range officers (who aren't usually at the range) say nothing.

I carry the Sig P239 for over a year now, with a cross breed super tuck and I haven't had a problem. It's great a combat distance and, I just love the decocking lever

Back
Top Bottom