Your Choice Of Firearms

as others have said try as many guns out as possible so that you can make an educated decision. i myself have a ruger p345 and love it. its my all around firearm. plinking and ccw its with me 95% of the time. the other 5% its my airweight in 38 spl. ive had the ruger for a year now and have not had any problems with it. you have a hard decision to make because you will end up wanting more than one and thats the way it should be. lol.

Rock River/Colt upper AR and my 357 mag, or is it my Winchester Carbine and my Browning High Power 9, or is it my Saiga and my G19 oh hell, I'm all confused.

I agree with other posts that you need to try it in your hand. Last year I bought a Sig P239 and hated it. It's a nice gun, but just wasn't the right fit for my hand. The Glock G3 G30 is a very nice compact .45 that I recommend highly. Now if you don't mind something bigger, I'm also a fan of the Sig P220. Try them out and see what one works best for you. If you're in the Medford area, you're welcome to join me at my club and I have several types to fire.

RUGER/S&W.......... Thinking HGunz only. If you remember the wild, wild, west. DO CONSIDER THE Same caliber for your HGunz as well as your long gunz. Ruger has both in 9mm / or 40(yecth) cheap and accurate. I like 9mm as a international caliber. You can get both for under 800.00 on a good day. PCGR9=mmmmmmmmmmmmm+ any p-series. ~JMO

Well Chaos I have a few guns that you mentioned. They aren't really carry ready though since they are all full sized, I don't have anything compact yet but you are about 20 minutes from me and if you wanted to head to the range I go to sometime and try them out let me know. I have a couple Colt 1911's (.45), Springfield Armory XD's (9mm) and a Glock 17 (9mm). Careful with the 1911's though, once you shoot one you will probably want to go buy one. But shoot me a PM if you want to take a look at anything that I have.

Try them all and decide which is best for YOU. For me, I like the KAHR PM9 with an ARMALASER, IMHO the best laser for this pistol. For ultimate concealability, take a look at the Seecamp. Good luck...

Get a Glock 17 and call it a deal.

If you were in a free state I would recommend the S&W M&P9 also, but being in Mass you will be stuck with 10 rounders for the S&W.

If I can effectively conceal a full size pistol, so can anyone.

No, you buy any Glock if you can find someone willing to sell you one face-to-face (although you will pay a huge MA premium as the age goes down). New Glocks are tough to come by since dealers can't sell them.

I had a Para Warthog for about a year. I was in love with this thing at first sight. It fit right was small, concealable and for its size accurate. Problem was it was not dependable. That sucker jammed about once every other magazine or more. I just could not carry with it.

I traded it in and got a Sig P229 and spent a few bucks. Much bigger. Had better accuracy but never yet had a misfire....and we are talking +2000 rounds and sometimes crappy ammo.
It took about six months before I felt comfortable carrying due to the size. A tip from a few members about holster ( thank you Blitz and K-Dub) and looking in the mirror adjusting the cant...I cannot tell you how comfortable I am now with this bigger gun. Only I notice I am carrying.

I am not ragging on the Para...as I know some who love them. I am saying do not be afraid of size, just listen to others and do a lot of posing in the mirror....enjoy

I lost money from my Para.....but I am comfortable now and glad I learned a few things from a bunch of great people here

One thing about NES is I learn something new on almost a daily basis

Last edited:
Get a Glock 17 and call it a deal.

If you were in a free state I would recommend the S&W M&P9 also, but being in Mass you will be stuck with 10 rounders for the S&W.

If I can effectively conceal a full size pistol, so can anyone.

YES! although my summer carry is a walther PPS... winter / "all round go to gun is my G23" i love my G17 and my M&P9 with all my heart. [smile]

I want a Glock but I can only get used 2nd Gens right?

Four Seasons and Zero Hour Arms always have "mass approved" 3rd Gen Glocks, but you'll pay a premium for them. I personaly prefer the 3rd Gen Glocks because of the finger grooves...

2nd gens can be had, but for the price, you'd be better off getting and M&P compact or similar... [cheers]

Choosing a gun is like finding Mrs Right. Sometimes things just click and it all works out. But that's why I'm single. I like to switch things up.

I'm partial to Sigs. I haven't met one I didn't like and they simply work. I have guns I like, but it doesn't mean I shoot well with them. I also have guns I flat out hate (mostly things in. 40 [wink])

I too second, or third, a P228/229. My 228 is a fantastic gun.

The only way to know what works for you is to fondle and shoot lots of guns. Going from a full sized to compact, even of the same model, makes a huge difference. Changing the grips (I prefer Hogue) also changes the feel of the gun completely.

Depending on where you are, I'm sure there are members that will be gracious enough to let you try out some goods.

Second this.

I really love Sigs. Mainly shooting a P229 Elite, not sure if you can get them in MA. While it's not fantastic for CCW, it is a great gun that just works and works and is far more accurate than I am. Oddly, I shoot most guns better left handed, but I shoot this one better right handed. Need to make a post about that sometime..

Back
Top Bottom