15 minutes of elbow grease transforms 03-A3

dcmdon

NES Member
Hi all. I recently purchased a sporterized 03-A3 with the intent of cleaning it up and depending on how it came out keeping it or selling it.

The gun came from down south and had been stored in humid conditions for decades. Despite this, there isn't any corrosion. But the wood looked horrible.

So I grabbed some Ballistol and some 0000 steel wool to see what I could come up with. The results amazed me.

20190726_203202573_iOS.jpg 20190726_203126486_iOS.jpg 20190726_203135020_iOS.jpg

20190726_204140653_iOS.jpg 20190726_204112528_iOS.jpg 20190726_204041431_iOS.jpg

I may have really scored. First I thought the bbl was cut down. Now I realize it probably wasn't.

Is that an original front sight??
If it is. I have REALLY scored because its a complete original barreled action in a different stock. Other than the turned down bolt.

That certainly be an original front sight post...Remington make specifically. The crown doesn’t appear to have been cut either, so I think you might have something there!

I’m not usually a fan of the Monte Carlo style stocks, but your right in that the one on your rifle cleaned up really nice!

Can you imagine how many sporter stocks have been abandoned since the trend to “restore” old war horses has become a thing? I can’t imagine it’s easy work making stocks like that out of walnut or similar from start to finish.

Whatever you decide to do with it, that is an excellent score. My rearsenal’d Smith-Corona is quickly becoming one of my favorite rifles to shoot!

I think the next CMP match at Pembroke is (Garand/1903[or A3]) if you want to get her in bed on the first date.

Last edited:
there should be a few things stamped on the top of the barrel behind the front sight. There should be a couple of letters, a date and a flaming bomb. I can almost see them in your pic but take a top down pic.

Definitely not a cut down barrel and the sight is right. I can make out the grooves on the crown and it looks to be a 4 groove barrel. The E size sight is probably going to shoot too high so you might want to find an A size

Thanks. The last thing has to do with the bolt. I'm not sure if its been turned down more than normal to clear a scope. Or was that something that wasn't done much.

The bolt definitely has a bend to it. Unlike my Finnish Mosins for example. I'm busy trying to get myself out the door for the night with the kids. But I'll probably post a pic on Monday.

Thank you again for all your help. At the very least, I now know I've got an original barreled action.

I know nothing about these guns other than that I like them. But wasn't there a SN range that had been heat treated incorrectly and are not safe? or was that prior to the A3??

I just realized that in some of the pics you can get pretty good view of the bolt and its bend.

Does that look original??

p.s. Free stock to anyone who wants it. Ha. I'm left handed so its less than useless at this point.

No heat treat problems with 03A3s.

Can't really tell anything about the bolt from these angles, take a pic from the right side with the bolt closed

That certainly be an original front sight post...Remington make specifically. The crown doesn’t appear to have been cut either, so I think you might have something there!

I’m not usually a fan of the Monte Carlo style stocks, but your right in that the one on your rifle cleaned up really nice!

Can you imagine how many sporter stocks have been abandoned since the trend to “restore” old war horses has become a thing? I can’t imagine it’s easy work making stocks like that out of walnut or similar from start to finish.

Whatever you decide to do with it, that is an excellent score. My rearsenal’d Smith-Corona is quickly becoming one of my favorite rifles to shoot!

I think the next CMP match at Pembroke is (Garand/1903[or A3]) if you want to get her in bed on the first date.
Yes Aug 11 8:30am
Go and speak with the resident Armorer. Heck he might have a stocks and all the metal hardware and if hes in a great mood might have it all on the rifle by the end of the match!

Crap, I'm going to be in the UK with the family on 8/11.

Based on my login to Brownells, the Minelli stock is $189. I'm guessing I should buy this.
Thoughts??

The CMP has these two items.

O86 1903 Stock set "C" Stock configuration $173.20

086+MISC
In Substitution of 087 the 086 (03 Stock set $164.95) + Misc (03A3 Handguard $45.00) can be purchased
$218.20

Crap, I'm going to be in the UK with the family on 8/11.

Based on my login to Brownells, the Minelli stock is $189. I'm guessing I should buy this.
Thoughts??

The CMP has these two items.

O86 1903 Stock set "C" Stock configuration $173.20

086+MISC
In Substitution of 087 the 086 (03 Stock set $164.95) + Misc (03A3 Handguard $45.00) can be purchased
$218.20
Some stuff has decent price with C&R or dealer license.

if you're going to put it back, buy a used GI stock
I think thats fine if your just going to toss it in the safe.
Other problem is finding decent USGI stocks.
Gunpartscorp has some scant stocks in various condition.
The straight stocks are almost useless for practical shooting IMHO

Last edited:
If you have a C&R or FFL on file with brownells, the 1903 stock is $189. Looks like they have free shipping today too - but they always have coupons.

Edit, just saw post above. Get the minelli versus the CMP stock (which is boyds). The Minelli comes without any hardware, including the 2 re-inforced cross bolts (get them from numrich)

I have this rifle with me at Camp Perry as I'm typing this. Last year during inspection, the CMP armorer commented on how nice the stock was and said "This probably isn't a boyds" or something similar :)

View: https://i.imgur.com/CdIBy4S.jpg

View: https://i.imgur.com/erAtgD7.jpg

Last edited:
DW617 - OK. I'm going to buy the Minelli.
I'll keep it and shoot it occasionally. I've got 3 CMP Garands including a springfield special and ~800 rounds of surplus 30-06 they were selling a few years ago.

It will be a kindof safe queen, in that It will come out to play at least once per year.

I participate in the Eastern Mass Rifle League spring matches. Every year there are some guys shooting it with an 03. I don't know if I'm tough enough. Ha. I'd like to give that a try.

Of course for a few bucks I could buy some dies and make a low recoil load for this gun that would also be a great way to introduce my daughters to mil-surp guns.

Thanks again for all of your input guys. I"ll report back with pictures once I get the Minelli on it.

One last question. If I buy the Minelli from Brownells, do I need to buy a handguard also??
Yes, and all the metal hardware.
stockys stocks has the minelli stocks with handguard for 218?
Sarco used to have the stock hardware kits , mix of surplus and repro parts.
These rifles deserve to be shot.

Warning to all , avoid boyds stocks and what ever you do do not buy direct from boyds!
If you do buy a boyds buy it from a seller who will take returns.
Cmp, dupage and brownells.....although brownells seems to have slowly discontinued stocking boyds.

DW617 - OK. I'm going to buy the Minelli.
I'll keep it and shoot it occasionally. I've got 3 CMP Garands including a springfield special and ~800 rounds of surplus 30-06 they were selling a few years ago.

It will be a kindof safe queen, in that It will come out to play at least once per year.

I participate in the Eastern Mass Rifle League spring matches. Every year there are some guys shooting it with an 03. I don't know if I'm tough enough. Ha. I'd like to give that a try.

Of course for a few bucks I could buy some dies and make a low recoil load for this gun that would also be a great way to introduce my daughters to mil-surp guns.

Thanks again for all of your input guys. I"ll report back with pictures once I get the Minelli on it.
You can indeed load up some nice reduced loads.
From light 125g soft points to slow 200 grain cast loads.
I use a cast 165gn Flat Nose 1600fps cast loads for 200 yard cmp. Silly light and holds 10 ring with ease.

I think thats fine if your just going to toss it in the safe.
Other problem is finding decent USGI stocks.

I see decent ones on CMP forum all the time. Why would you toss it in the safe though? All mine are USGI and they go to the range. I don't believe in safe queens. And there's no real historical value to detract from with a mixmaster you've put together.

I see decent ones on CMP forum all the time. Why would you toss it in the safe though? All mine are USGI and they go to the range. I don't believe in safe queens. And there's no real historical value to detract from with a mixmaster you've put together.
I have not seen to many nice GI stocks for sale. For shooting the straight stocks suck. Maybe good for trench war where you can toss the rifle up on the trench edge?
I think for the money and not needing any historical needs a nice clean new C stock is just nice

Back
Top Bottom