• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

16-18" AR10, would you go 308 or 6.5 creedmoor?

You shouldn't need a crimp die. Do you have a set of bullet comparators to check bullet seating depth using the ogive?

Also if you don't have one, one of these and a 6.5CM modified case will let you figure out exactly where the lands are for your barrel and bullet so you can set your bullet depth accordingly.

Apologies if you already have these and I am being captain obvious. :)
No i do not have those. As this was factory ammo that had the issue. For my reloads forester says their neck tension on their full length sizer will give me good enough tension without a crimp die. As far as bullet seating i do not have that equipment you listed. Maybe i could borrow someones.

No i do not have those. As this was factory ammo that had the issue. For my reloads forester says their neck tension on their full length sizer will give me good enough tension without a crimp die. As far as bullet seating i do not have that equipment you listed. Maybe i could borrow someones.
Yea I wasn't sure if the primer went off or not, and if it did it might have pushed the bullet into the barrel. If the primer didn't go off, it could have been set at the wrong depth at the factory and gotten jammed into the lands, I am just speculating at this point...

For a semi you need the curved gauge

Last edited:
I built mine in .308. I live in MA. the longest range I have access to is 300 yards. For those fortunate enough to live out west, where 600 to 1000 yard+ shooting is common, I'd go 6.5. But for 1,2 & 300 yards, .308 works well enough.

Back
Top Bottom